Wattser

4wd Buggy Recommendations

I am looking to buy a 4WD Brushless Buggy, and I am looking for recommendations. I have £200 budget which can be stretched if required. It will be for bashing and general use. Thanks 

Sticking to Tamiya or any brand?

If Tamiya then the Top Force/Manta Ray is my pick. Or the DB01 but I think they have finally been discontinued so not sure how parts go. I would avoid the TT02B, the ride height is too low and the diffs are annoying

• Like 3

If you need kit, Tamiya also has many options, such as Tamiya 1/10 Neo Scorcher TT-02B. If your budget also includes a controller and battery, then this one is suitable

• Thanks 1

While I agree that the TT-02B is not without it's faults in stock form, there are fixes available for most of them, so I wouldn't let this put you off. The ride height can be addressed with longer shocks and/or bigger wheels, and the diffs can be made reliable by swapping them for DF-02 items for example.

It comes with a brushless capable speed controller, to which a budget 13.5 turn sensored brushless motor can be added at at not much extra cost. A generic "Bluebottle" motor goes for about £20 on eBay for example. 

I don't think that there is much else within your budget in terms of four-wheel drive buggies from Tamiya, unless of course you are considering second-hand or vintage models.

• Thanks 1

I think the Tt-02b is pretty good, start with the silver can as it'll not stress the diffs and upgrade as and when. Mine started out as standard and now has the DF-02 metal diffs, aluminium steering and alloy prop shaft and flies on a 13.5t brushless with a Lipo.. Actually a little to much! So now it is  powered by a Hobbywing 1060 and a 19t Double Brushed. Diff issues only really appear if you slam it into reverse from full forward or go full throttle from a standing start on a grippy service. It really could do with a slipper but it's not really a race buggy to be fair. 

As others have said ground clearance can be an issue but Df-03 wheels (2.2) with appropriate tyres lift it enough for longer than cut grass, dirt etc. You can always move the shocks towards the chassis to lift it further if need be. 

An important thing to remember is that spares are cheap and plentiful plus there are carbon reinforced arms and gearbox covers from Tamiya if you do go down the rocket ship route.. 😉 

• Thanks 1

The frustrating thing here is there is no easy "just buy that" option. All the Tamiya 4WD have flaws. Even though it sounds counter intuitive with it being a rerelease of an older design, i would put another vote for a Manta Ray. Its a great buggy, and if you don't like the shell there are a bunch of options off the same chassis including the Top Force. Get some bearings, get it without the tamiya ESC, buy a Hobbywing 10BL120 esc. Get a blue can brushless 13.5 motor off ebay (search high efficiency brushless 13.5). You need to buy Tamiya part number 50529 to get a reliable plastic gearset, and Schumacher U7721 for a steel 21t pinion. You are going to have push the budget out a little to get a battery, charger and transmitter, but not much. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, J@mes said:

Hmm @ThunderDragonCy are you in sales? Because now I want one :D

Haha! You're welcome! The really amusing thing is that i don't even own one. I have had a basic DF01 and a Top Force Evo spec carbon in my time though. It's a great chassis. 

• Haha 1

Thanks for all the replies. What would you all suggest outside of Tamiya? It doesn’t have to be a kit. 

No idea about non-Tamiyas, but if you are considering going down the old-school rabbit hole, there are a few good models to consider.

There is the Manta Ray or any of its DF-01 siblings, ably praised by @ThunderDragonCy.

2019-03-30_09-34-46

The Manta Ray has been re-released quite recently, so you can get an old buggy as a new kit. You can also find good used ones quite easily. In addition to the mods he mentions, I'd also say a hardened steel propshaft and metal motor mount are pretty much essential. The stock coat hanger propshaft and plastic motor mount aren't up to the power of much more than a stock silver can, some would say not even that. 

Going further back, the Thundershot and its siblings are also good buggies, very capable on rough ground thanks to their substantial ground clearance and plentiful suspension travel.

2019-09-27_02-28-39

Hard to find a new one, but good used examples come up every so often, and they make great restoration projects as most of the parts are either available as NOS or as 3D-prints. You can keep it old school like the one on the left, or modernise it like the one on the right. Bearings, a steel or brass pinion and a better propshaft are worthwhile upgrades either way. 

Another older buggy easily obtained 2nd hand is the TL-01B.

2019-07-13_08-27-50

Like the TT-02B which is the buggy version of the TT-02 touring car, this is the buggy version of the TL-01 touring car. It shares its suspension with the WR/WT-01 trucks, uprights with many other chassis such as the M-chassis and WR-02 cars, etc, so spares are plentiful. The drivetrain is also really rugged, easily up to the task of taking brushless power with nothing more than a steel pinion and bearings. However like other touring car-derived buggies, it benefits from bigger wheels and/or longer shocks to give it a tad more ground clearance.

And of course there is the TT-02B's immediate predecessor, in design if not in name - the DF-02.

2020-01-14_10-09-55

With robust metal diffs and a steel pinion as standard, the only drivetrain upgrades you'll need are bearings and a metal propshaft. A metal motor mount is nice to have as it is better for cooling, but the stock plastic one is strong enough. 

• Thanks 1

For £200...I'd probably go with a brushless FTX Carnage on 2S or if you could stretch a little the Arrma Senton 3S is a nice bit of kit.

• Thanks 1

May I ask if four wheel drive is really a requirement. When I was a young lad I thought 4wd was the only way to go. I bought a DF-01 Dirt thrasher as my first rc car. Later on I realized rear wheel drive was funner, faster, turned sharper and was much simpler to work on. Now my go to cars are the Blitzer Beetle and DT-02 Sand Viper. I find that driving 4wd buggies is kind of boring as they handle like they are on rails. These days I would suggest a DT-03 buggy.

Anyway, I like my DF-03 Dark Impact but it sits on the shelf because it's delicate and expensive to fix. Df-02 is cool but has a big tub and is a little low to the ground. I like the DF-01 as it can be jacked up pretty high, plus you never forget your first.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If you would consider 2wd, didnt someone get a stonking deal recently on a Zahhak for about £120 so when adding the other bits you would need would be on budget. This is probably about as good as entry level 2wd buggies get considering its not far off a TRF201 racing kit that would cost a billionty pounds.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, Superluminal said:

If you would consider 2wd, didnt someone get a stonking deal recently on a Zahhak for about £120 so when adding the other bits you would need would be on budget. This is probably about as good as entry level 2wd buggies get considering its not far off a TRF201 racing kit that would cost a billionty pounds.

TamiyaUSA was giving away Zahhaks for around $125.00. But not to be out done they were also selling TRF201 for $175.00. Needless to say I picked up a TRF201. Those deals are no longer available unfortunately :(

• Thanks 1

Might not fit the bill (?), but with the new Schumacher L1 Evo hitting the shelves, there maybe some L1's hitting the 2nd hand market around the £200 mark, a bit more if elecs are included. 

• Like 1

As for 2WD vs. 4WD, I guess the decision might also be influenced by how much you enjoy different aspects of the hobby. If you enjoy the building and wrenching, you might be a bit disappointed with the relative simplicity of 2WD, but if this side of the hobby doesn't appeal, you might welcome it. 

• Like 1