Handyman

Clod mod. What’s this?

I recently bought a used Super Clod Buster and this mod caught my eye. What is it? Some kind of rpm meter?73BFF204-BEF8-4265-BCBF-2A0EDEC75CEC.thumb.jpeg.b1efaffe9d3c8338e726d6eefb4cd24e.jpeg

Looks like it would blow air, and when it goes through the gaps, it would replicate an engine sound.

If it is that, it's rather cool and clever

It looks like a proximity sensor.

When powered up, an LED will illuminate in the recessed circle below the grey cable when a metal object is near the lower end of it.

It will be switching between on and off as the section on the end of the motor spins, detecting the cut outs. (or should that be off and on?:blink:)

What is the grey cable attached to?

Could be some kind of tachometer, or even speedometer??

38 minutes ago, Falcon#5 said:

What is the grey cable attached to?

That, we need to know/see. i am curious!

All the electronics is removed. The cable is cut.

There’s a “gapped aluminum disc” attached to the other motor as well. It looks just the same but there’s no sensor with cable on that side.

When you say "cable" is it an electric cable?  If so, how many cores does it have?  From the photo it could be a hall effect sensor - it works just like the wheel speed speed sensor on a car with ABS brakes.  The sensor is able to detect metal passing across the end to determine the motor speed.  I've never seen a mod like that on an RC before but then I'm not as familiar as I'd like to be with clods.  You say there is one at both ends?  I wonder if it was once equipped with an ESC or other electronic wizardry that could synchronise the speed of both motors so that it provided a constant wheel speed at both ends (e.g. if the rear bogs down off the line or the front spins when unloaded).  I am more than curious.

That was my first thought.  My second was  in line with @FoxShot - "that pipe looks too fat for a wire - it could be an air pipe.  That's an ingenious way to make an engine sound, assuming you have compressed air on board."

In all seriousness both options seem pretty cool but ultimately, in my inexperienced opinion, overly complex solutions looking for a problem.

Looking at the photo again, there appears to be an off-centre screw in the metal disc.  Is the disc fixed in position or does it spin with the motor?  If it spins, does it spin eccentrically?  I'm still intrigued.

I think it's a dual moded thyristor that peaks at plus or minus the centre of negativity.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, toyolien said:

I think it's a dual moded thyristor that peaks at plus or minus the centre of negativity.

Thats very techy, had to google!

What would that be used for?

i had seen the off centre screw

2 minutes ago, FoxShot said:

Thats very techy, had to google!

What would that be used for?

i had seen the off centre screw

I made it up:rolleyes:

• Haha 2

It’s a three lead cable.

Thanks for the answers and the welcome👍
Whatever it is I will most likely not use it. I like tinkering with things but this seems to complicated.

B1E18B6E-AF73-470B-A1C1-9E512E50319C.jpeg

Probably a hall effect sensor, to sync engine sounds with motor rotation.