rjoseph244510

Cleaning plastic parts

Hi guys

I've just purchased a Thundershot and it's in a bit of a state. Therefore, I'm in the process of stripping it down and cleaning all of the plastic parts. I'm pretty new to this so I just wanted to ask if anyone could recommend a decent cleaning product or tips on the products they use? If so, then that would be fully appreciated.

Best regards

Rod

Water and soap is the safest method.  Soak them for a while if necessary.  For tougher stuff, simple green. Alcohol for metal parts.  But cleaning products could damage stuff like anodized parts. I tend to avoid using them.  I also put a drop of shock oil on my fingertip and rub it on the springs to prevent rust, and wipe it off with a paper towel. A molecule-thin coat will do. Cleaning is nice, but it makes metal parts easy targets for rust.  

Plastics are best soaked/washed in warm water + dishdrops + a splash of cloudy ammonia. Some use ultrasonics but a toothbrush & paintbrush work find too.

Nitro & gassers... hot tap & dishdrops or best is "truck wash" from motorfactors, all that greasy dirt just hoses off. 

18 hours ago, Juggular said:

I also put a drop of shock oil on my fingertip and rub it on the springs to prevent rust, and wipe it off with a paper towel. A molecule-thin coat will do. Cleaning is nice, but it makes metal parts easy targets for rust.  

Ever come across Reducteur H72?

reducteur.jpg

Bought a can year before & its pretty amazing stuff. I've been derusting steel bike parts and once back to raw steel, I coat with that instead of painting. Hasn't rusted back after many months.

• Like 2