F-150

Tamiya TT-02 SR

When's the new TT02 RS coming out? I know in 2020, but what month?   I'm about to buy a Mustang GT-4 TT-02, because I can't wait any longer. I may get it anyways, just because of that Mustang body shell and build up a police car from it. Speaking of which,  Who makes good 1/10th scale police light bars? Realistic and bright. 

So I'll probably get the TT02 Mustang fo rnow.....just can't waith any longer and I need that Mustang body.

13 hours ago, NobbySideways said:

Are you not going to kick yourself for the sake for not just waiting a few months?

I need another project and I want to do a Police car out of the Tamiya TT-02 Mustang gt-4 body. Of course that only comes with the standard chassis. I already got the lighting from mytrickrc. I could buy the body from Amazon and then wait for the SR, but I'm growing impatient.  I'm tempted to get the standard Mustang TT-02 and do a mild upgrade to it, in bearings and the optional spur gear set-up so I can make it a bit faster than stock. Make a nice police body, install light bar and lights then call it a day. I have a set of TL-01 shocks for it and a new Super stock BZ I have sitting here doing nothing. Not racing, just an occasional run at camp on the pavement just for fun, no heavy bashing.  Upgrading any more than that would be foolish. 

So I guess I'll just get the standard chassis.... I may get the SR if  in fact, like on road RC. 

All I know is that Mustang GT-4 body is absolutley gorgeous and would look great as a hot rod police car.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Quailane said:

You can buy the Mustang body shell separately. Part number 51614.

I was thinking about that, but I just now went ahead and got the standard, Mustang GT-4 kit.  I'm not a racer, just an occasional fun run at the park and stuff, so why spend too much on a real expensive chassis. I did get the spur gear option and yeah racing motor mount, plus ball bearings. That is all I plan to upgrade on this car, to keep it cheap and I only wanted to be able to put in a faster motor/pinion for more than stock speed.  I already have a set of shocks I got for another car I was getting two years ago. Plan is to make a real nice, hot rod police car with it. The mustang body would be awesome to do so and I have a full police lighting kit coming from mytrickrc, as well. Paint will be black along with custom graphics to copy the sheriff patrol cars where I live.  

If I were to try racing and get into some serious on-road, I would get the more expensive options, but for me it's just fun and something to build, so why spend money where I don't really need it.  

A mildly upgraded, standard TT02, mustang cop car with blinking lights, is my goal.

Can't wait for everything to get here....I literally ordered a half hour ago.

• Like 2

Buy the type sr in a couple of months as well.

You will have itchy fingers for a new project by then

4 hours ago, Superluminal said:

Buy the type sr in a couple of months as well.

You will have itchy fingers for a new project by then

Probably not, I already got the standard Mustang GT-4.  If I were getting into racing at a club, I'd wait for it, but I am not, so for the money I will have as much fun with a mildly modified Standard car. My plan is to build a semi scale police car with a full array of lights and a siren. Would be fun at camp and such, giving the kids a smile as well as the adults.

• Like 1

Sounds like a fun project. Looking forward to seeing how it progresses!

On 1/17/2020 at 12:37 AM, F-150 said:

Plan is to make a real nice, hot rod police car with it. The mustang body would be awesome to do so and I have a full police lighting kit coming from mytrickrc, as well. Paint will be black along with custom graphics to copy the sheriff patrol cars where I live. 

IMG_1571.JPG.594aefc5e8449b21f9908c9da7390437.JPG

We'll be watching for you:D

HAHAH nice, brother!...

I've spent 150.00 on the police lights already.....  roof bar, rear window traffic advisor, controller and headlights/tailights to flash, blue/red wigwams on the push bar, blue and red flashers in the fog light holes as well.  Also Mirror flashers, flashing tail lights, brake lights and backup lights, ally lights and take-downs, lmao.... Most likely side marker lights on the rear spoiler. The GT-4 has a high rise rear spoiler and it's gonna be one awesome police car.....oh and spot light, hahah.  

Right now I am learning on what I have to get and do, to make this happen.  Just figuring out the lights and how they can be controlled is the hard part....I never done anything more than simple on/off headlights, but they have such great electronics these days, it shouldn't be too awful hard.

• Like 1

spacer.png

spacer.png

so it’s a bit more than a slight upgrade over the TT02, now I’m sure some smart *** is going to point out that it doesn’t have the metal centre driveshaft and joints. Those parts (54501/54502) cost a grand total of $4.50 and $5.40 usd, hardly a deal breaker them not being included. A bit odd though given the massive increase in bling those little cheap parts add. More baffling is that those parts where included in TT02S. 

Included over and above the TT02S. 

prices approx on the low side (rcmart prices)
42239 complete double Cardon front universal $35 usd.

53502 lightweight rear universal $30 usd

54649 diff locking block $10 usd

54875 oil differential set $24 usd

54869 open face adjusters x 2 $8 usd

54926 lower deck hard $6 usd

new adjustable rear hinge pin mount estimated $15-20usd

(the non adjustable units where about $15)

Steel Hex ball nuts, alloy ball connectors and nuts, maybe another $15-20 worth.  

so over the stock TT02S about $150 usd worth of extras. 

Of course you also get all the TT02S parts (shy the centre driveshaft parts strangely) so TB EVO IV/TRF 418 based suspension, stainless steel hinge pins and steel pin mounts. CVA Super mini oil dampers, FRP shock towers, full ball bearings, adjustable steel turnbuckles. Steel diff outdrives etc.

That’s a good $100++ of goodies over a stock TT02. so the TT02SR has roughly $250usd of hopups over a standard TT02. But you don’t get a motor (stock 540 yay..) you don’t get tyres (cheap hard o rings with no grip) or a body (didn’t really like the stock body options anyway) so you could argue those parts are worth a fair chunk of the change over. 

I’m a bit lost as to why they went this far, and then didn’t just include the centre shaft, the alloy spur mount and motor mount though. Obviously there was a economic price point to meet, it won’t surprise me if the retail price is very close to the TT02RR. I know which chassis I’d prefer as those few little parts are very very cheap to acquire and install. 

Tamico list the price at €200, the RR is €170 and the Type-S €130. I'm a big fan of the TT-02 - it's perfect for my builds and the specials (R, RR, S and this one) are great value. I'll more than likely pick up at least one.

(Btw, The regular Type-S doesn't come with the alu prop and joints, but the TT-02D Type-S did)

7 hours ago, Juls1 said:

More baffling is that those parts where included in TT02S. 

Not in mine.

Very nice spec kit.  Even the box art is better compared to the TT02RR.  Unfortunately I imagine the price will push it too close to the TB05 and TA07 for me but for someone racing this could be good value.

Where did the aluminum center shaft go that was included in the TT-02D and S? Tamiya should have at east included aluminum steering sets and dampers too. 

This is the fannoying thing about Tamiya. They release "incomplete" kits but as they all know (and obvious), people are willing to pay more for the extras. It's this department that X-Ray, Yokomo, AE, HB/HPI, and a few other brands are better than Tamiya when it comes to releasing "competitive" or "race ready" kits. This TT-02SR, which is suppose to be the top of the line in the TT-02 series is just a frustrating. Tamiya had manipulated their patrons but downgrading a supposed to be upgraded kit.

This is the very reason why using aftermarket parts are wiser than buying everything Tamiya. YR (Yeah Racing) alternative parts for example are built well, priced very reasonable (almost half Tamiya's cost), and sometimes designed better. Same goes for 3R (3Racing) and HR (Hot Racing)parts.

Show model has a teu105bk esc!🤔

Strange how tamiya use some old stock in some of their display models, I've seen double Zapped 2400 batteries in a few and they've been out of production for ages. 

This isn't a fantastic "new" model but just a quick refresh of a run of the mill chassis, but......the oil filled diff and hard chassis are pretty good. 

I don’t believe it will include a esc or motor. 

sorry my bad RE the centre shaft etc.

as for hopups, some of the Tamiya hopups like the centre shaft and drives are cheaper than yeah racing and the 3 racing parts are about 5x more expensive (being carbon fibre)

I think most of us are quite adept at working out where we can save money using aftermarket and where it’s best to buy the Tamiya option price not relevant. 

As for spending as much on TT02SR vs buying a TB05/TA07 there is no doubt these are better value in the long run, but ultimately fully blinged out with hopups (compared to doing the same with a TT02S) they will still be up to double or more the price, then understandably they will be a better car. The TT still makes more sense for car park playing due to a simplified robust layout, cost not relevant. For many the incremental hopup process is the draw card, and equally as much fun as driving. 

• Like 2