rjoseph244510

Three buggies - Three motors?

Hi guys

I've somehow managed to get my hands on a Manta Ray (58087) Boomerang (58055) and Thundershot (58067). The Manta Ray will soon become a Terra Conqueror lookalike.

The only issue I have is that none of the buggies currently have a motor. I'm not looking to spend too much though I'm not looking for budget options either - just something that's half-decent. To start off I'm looking to run Nicads in each buggy as I'm not quite ready to venture into the world of LiPos just yet - but that's the plan eventually. So, if the option could allow for this then that would be great. Can anyone suggest a motor/esc combo for each buggy that's gonna give me decent speed/performance but not totally wreck in inner workings?

Any help would be fully appreciated

Best regards

Rod

I run a GT-tuned in my Hotshot (same gearbox as Boomerang), the same in my Thundershot, and a TZ in my Manta Ray. Currently running Mtroniks ESCs, but if I was to buy again, I'd go for HW 1060s for their built-in LiPo cutoffs. None show any undue wear, and none have damaged the gears at all. 

If I wasn't trying to keep things old-school with brushed motors, I would consider those generic "bluebottle" brushless motors doing the rounds on Ebay at the moment, 17.5t or 13.5t, along with TBLE-02 ESCs, which are cheap and gentle on the gears by nature of their conservative timing.

• Like 2

Or goolrc people often recommend I think it’s pretty cheap brushless and motor combo on ebay its 30quid

• Like 2

I run a 13.5T brushless and TBLE-02S in my Boomerang and it runs great. That combo would work in all 3 of those buggies.

I have a Tamiya Super Stock 23T motor and Hobbywing 1060 ESC in my Top Force and that runs great too, and that would suit all 3 buggies too.

Funnily enough I think those 2 combos are very similar in performance. Long term the brushless is probably better as it doesn't require maintenance or wear out brushes, but the Super Stock motors look great.

If you want different speed for each then I would put the fastest motor in the Manta Ray as that chassis is much more capable than the earlier Boomerang. I don't have a Thundershot but assume it sits between the 2 performance wise.

• Like 1

I ran a hw1060 esc with one of those cheap black and gold 21t brushed motors (lots of brands do them but same motor). It was actually easily within the capability of the buggy. I have the same esc with a 17t version in one of my touring cars and that is fast. I would say the 17t would be great. I agree about the cheap brushless though. If you have or can pick up the tamiya TBLE02S esc cheaply then one of those blue bottle motors in 13.5 would be good too. 

• Like 2

Thanks guys, much appreciated.

I have done a bit of a mix. I have gone for 2x  TBLE-02S and a blue bottle motors and a Goolrc combo. i can then see what works best in what.

Best regards

Rod

• Like 4

Good choice. I run those GooleRC motors (17 and 21t) in a few of mine (with Hobbywing 1060 ESC), and they're excellent. Good magnets, bearings etc. Plus, cheap :-) 

• Like 1

Just in case if you haven't ordered brushed motors yet, Sport Tuned + Hobbywing 1060 ESC is my "initial" upgrade (TBLE02S would work too).  Sport Tuned is quite similar to GT in performance but few dollars cheaper.  I'd choose GT, if it was rebuildable.  I would put bearings in it, but it's not rebuildable, so I tend to go with $17 Sport Tuned.   

Brushed motors don't draw too much power, so NiCd can handle it.  But I'd consider upgrading the battery to NiMH because it can squeeze out a bit more amp. (Voltage is the same between NiCd and NiMH. Amp is how much of a flood of electricity the battery can let out. Faster motors use more amp. LiPo lets out 2-3 times more amp than NiCd or NiMH) 

13.5t brushless + TBLE02S ESC would be my second upgrade. 

GoolRC 2700 or 3000kv combo would be similar in performance to 13.5t.  But to fully make use of the brushless power, you'd need a LiPo and good connectors. Deans or XT60 connectors would be a good idea. Otherwise, Tamiya connector can bottleneck the flood of electricity to just 1A.  NiCds tend to draw about 1A.  But brushless can use more than 1A, up to 3A burst.  It's not that you cannot run a brushless with NiCd, but it's like running a marathon after a day of fasting.  Often combos match 4000kv with 40A ESC, but that's not very good.  You'd need at least 60A ESC to run about 3000kv.  Roughly 80A to run 4000kv, etc.  

Experimenting is a big part of this hobby, so enjoy your testing!