Sign in to follow this  
GTodd

Are we getting a DB01RRRR or a new offroader?

There are (2) cars that Id like this year.  A Black Special Clod or a TXT2 I havent quite decided yet, and a new modern Tamiya 4WD.  Id love a TRF502 but they are a little expensive, The DB02 isnt available, and Id like a little more special then just a DB01 Durga. I went looking for a DB01RRR and they are all gone and people want stupid money for Rs and RRs.  Are we getting a DB01RRRR or is there a new 4WD buggy on the horizon?

Its the obvious gap in Tamiya's lineup that was filled by the DB01 and the DN01 which are very long in the tooth now. The onroad side is nicely complete with various levels of F1 and Touring Car and it would be nice to see the offroad equivalent to the TA and TB series cars. Tamiya have stopped racing offroad now so its unlikely I think even though I would buy one in a heartbeat.

As @ThunderDragonCy pointed out earlier, the TB05 type setup with different motor positions would be perfect to adapt to a buggy.

Seems unlikely, I’m not really sure what Tamiya will do, but I guess there market research will decide, if they are not racing in off road so investment in technical racing off road vehicles makes no sense. We are all getting older now eventually the re release bubble will pop so in the short term it makes more sense to keep doing re re releases while the particular type of customers are still middle aged and somewhat cashed up. 

for the future though I’m not certain what they should be doing really. With horizon hobby basically slowly vaccuming up all American based hobby businesses with huge access to manufacturing in Asia, I don’t know where Tamiya will be in the distant future of rc. 

There were rumours of a new 4wd platform a few months ago, but i doubt it would be at the DB01RRR level. As i doubt the TT02B is going anywhere and the DF03 is very long in the tooth and features several evolutionary dead ends, my guess would be a DF04 at a similar level to the DF03 i.e. turnbuckles, proper 2.2 wheels, steel driveshafts and decent suspension geometry) My wishlist would have it hopefully with added sensible features like TA06 gear diffs, 48dp gear pitch, slipper upgrade, square lipo space in the tub, carbon tower upgrades and keep making the DF03 and aeration dampers available readily. 

I haven't driven anything super modern, but my DB01R was fabulous to drive on track with gear diffs, proper schumacher tyres and a bit of suspension tuning. I ran an 8.5 motor. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, ThunderDragonCy said:

There were rumours of a new 4wd platform a few months ago, but i doubt it would be at the DB01RRR level. As i doubt the TT02B is going anywhere and the DF03 is very long in the tooth and features several evolutionary dead ends, my guess would be a DF04 at a similar level to the DF03 i.e. turnbuckles, proper 2.2 wheels, steel driveshafts and decent suspension geometry) My wishlist would have it hopefully with added sensible features like TA06 gear diffs, 48dp gear pitch, slipper upgrade, square lipo space in the tub, carbon tower upgrades and keep making the DF03 and aeration dampers available readily. 

I haven't driven anything super modern, but my DB01R was fabulous to drive on track with gear diffs, proper schumacher tyres and a bit of suspension tuning. I ran an 8.5 motor. 

Where did you hear the rumours? From people who may have a clue about it?

The DF03 and DB01 were on a similar level when released weren't they, but the DB01 could be upgraded with TRF parts and was the better buggy right? So a DF04 wouldn't be a bad thing?

27 minutes ago, Jonathon Gillham said:

The DF03 and DB01 were on a similar level when released weren't they, but the DB01 could be upgraded with TRF parts and was the better buggy right? So a DF04 wouldn't be a bad thing?

There was a couple of guys on here a few months bavk who seemed to speak with authority. 

Agreed on the original DF03 and DB01, but the DB01 also had a lot of commonality with other brands like the 48dp drivetrain and diff options. Hopefully they go down that route again if they do something. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Jonathon Gillham said:

I like the layout of df03 more. its motor and battery (i.e. the most heavy components) are positioned along the center line. this results in better balance. the motor is oriented transversely. this results in very low torque twist.

• Like 3