Superluminal

Diff oil Vs Shock oil

Is silicone diff oil exactly the same stuff as silicone shock oil but just much thicker?

I have some 1000000cst diff oil which is just enough to lock a diff but still give some differential capacity. I would like to experiment using some thinner weights but am too lazy /tight fisted to buy different bottles of lighter weight diff oil.

Can I just dilute it slightly with some shock oil i have going spare ie tamiya 900 weight or similar???? Or when mixed will they separate back out / turn to horrible gunge / burst into blue flames etc etc

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, TwistedxSlayer said:

Fire is a risk.

lol.

not at all. They shouldn’t mix and will eventually separate.

Really? I thought they mix fine but its almost impossible to get what you want as they aren't a linear scale. Eg 50/50 mix of 400 and 800 in theory gives 600 but it doesn't and you need to work out ratios so its really hard.

They are the same oil, Tamiya gives 900CST shock oil with their diffs (TA07Pro).

However the 1m oil is like a paste so I'm not sure how that would work. If you had 10k and 50k it would probably be worth mixing to see what happens.

Yeah racing make a mixer pack where you can mix any thickness but I'm 99% sure thats for shock oils not diff oils.

When going through the same thing for shock oils I ended up buying a pack with a range of grades, Losi ones are really good value in the pack but really expensive inidividually.

The only thing I would say is buy the same brand. They all have their own scales so at least this way you will get consistency between the different weights

• Like 3

1 hour ago, TwistedxSlayer said:

They shouldn’t mix and will eventually separate.

Seemingly, if it's the same silicone oil, it should mix, although if it's used in shocks,  it would be constantly being agitated.

This was posted on Facebook this morning, and this link was in the comments -

http://www.nimacltd.co.uk/viscosity-calculators/calculate-the-blend-viscosity-of-two-known-oils?fbclid=IwAR0oGR0c8qqlumyRwnlIpPs6-ojdBlXOPjvv7VjthvFjtBLUiYUAak0kuLU

• Like 3

I might experiment in an egg cup and leave it overnight for science.

If the result is the blue flames there probably wont be any further updates.

• Haha 2

Equiment assembled;

Egg cup

Stirring stick

1000k Arrowmax silicone diff oil (very solid)

900 Tamiya silicone shock oil (slightly runny)

Powers irish single malt (to steady the nerves and douse blue flames should the reaction cause fire)

Resized_20200119_222942_7391.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

It wasnt until just then i realised how much i like the word "dollop"

Very underrated.

Dollop

• Haha 2

Step 2 - add the shock oil. About a tea spoons worth so probs 50/50 mix.

Im starting to sweat

Resized_20200119_223612_6230.jpeg

• Like 1

Step 3 - agitating the compound with the stirring stick.

Bubbles are beginning to appear - this could be air mixing in the oil or it could be exothermic. Single malt close by just in case.

Resized_20200119_224533_5434.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Step 4 - its sort of worked

The mixture is thinner and runs off the stirring stick not hanging on it like a blob from before. I shall leave over night to see whether it separates out or thickens back up.

Resized_20200119_224935_2697.jpeg

• Like 1

Just thought of something else. Is silicone poisonous? I still use this egg cup. Assume washing up liquid will break it down?

• Haha 3

5 hours ago, Jonathon Gillham said:

However the 1m oil is like a paste so I'm not sure how that would work

Well, Superliminal's experiment looks promising.  

While that's settling, I might try mixing some real paste.  3Racing "Ultra High Viscosity Diff Oil" is thicker than Vaseline.  For M07's diff, I want something thinner than honey in the summer.  I mixed it with some Tamiya shock oil.

mQCJe9t.jpg

Like water and oil, they didn't mix.  

okXSVTb.jpg

I should have predicted this result. 

3Racing stuff doesn't wash out.  Even alcohol has a hard time cleaning this thing off my fingers.  It's like low quality duct tape that leaves adhesive on your fingers.  Tamiya oil washes easily.  

Whatever they used in making 3Racing diff paste is quite different from "oil."  So...paste to oil?  Nope.  Oil to oil of the same brand might work.  

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Superluminal said:

Just thought of something else. Is silicone poisonous? I still use this egg cup. Assume washing up liquid will break it down?

I'm thinking the same thing here.  

I want to floss my teeth badly. But my finger is all sticky with this stuff that won't wash out. (Oh the things we do in the name of science!)

• Like 1

Its really horrible stuff isnt it - the residue left on the bottles can be felt on your fingers after washing. I have some swarfega i might give that a go as its designed for breaking down oils..

• Like 1

I just found a way to unsticky-myself.

Vinegar!  I rubbed my fingers with white vinegar.  Rinsed with water, then I washed with soap.  Repeated that 3 times, and it was gone.  I'm learning all kinds of things today.  

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Juggular said:

I just found a way to unsticky-myself.

Vinegar!  I rubbed my fingers with white vinegar.  Rinsed with water, then I washed with soap.  Repeated that 3 times, and it was gone.  I'm learning all kinds of things today.  

Interesting, will remember vinegar as lately I've had all sorts on my hands.

Once after cutting up chillis my hands were burning. The internet said wash them with vodka. I tried it, should've drunk the vodka, it may have numbed them enough. Vodka didnt wash chilli off.

So back on topic, I take the mixing thing is inconclusive right now?

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Jonathon Gillham said:

So back on topic, I take the mixing thing is inconclusive right now?

Not any more it isnt!

Maximum success! The compound was allowed to coagulate overnight where the bubbles have gone and the two oils appear to have mixed into something completely clear.

Resized_20200120_071244_6668.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Its definitely thinned it out into a lighter weight oil that runs off the stick. Only issue now is getting it all out of the egg cup.

Resized_20200120_071356_9975.jpeg

• Haha 2

37 minutes ago, Superluminal said:

Its definitely thinned it out into a lighter weight oil that runs off the stick. Only issue now is getting it all out of the egg cup.

Resized_20200120_071356_9975.jpeg

Good news!

You'll get a thinner viscosity the warmer it gets, try resting in a bowl of boiling water, and see if it'll pour out?

• Like 2

Its had another 12 hours of sitting on quite a chilly kitchen window cill all day and so far so good. It hasnt separated or changed consistency since this morning and when the bubbles go is completely clear.

Its currently sitting on a radiator for more science. Im interested to see how temperature affects it. Ive never really thought about it till now but if you are a racer (im not) using an oil filled diff then do you need to adjust the oil weight based on air temp at the track ie different diff set up in winter to summer?

Something i suppose isnt an issue with ball diffs.

• Like 1