juleo68

Hotshot 58047 Restoration

Hi

A quick and easy restoration of my original Hotshot...this chassis had cost me 5€ in a flea market...really!

The first pics, this is how he is arrived.

0TTk0by.jpg?1

LQQc6R2.jpg?1

0XI1A8b.jpg?1

wMz0we7.jpg?1

30wUCTh.jpg?1

• Like 2

Looks like they let the "magic smoke" escape out of it. That just happened last week to my Wild Willy... Fortunately, I had a spare motor.. ;)

1 hour ago, Tudorp said:

Motor got a little warm huh? ;)

That is a water proofing ballon on the motor which has perished over time, clean it up and I am sure that motor would still run

• Like 1

ah.. I see that now. I remember those balloons. Maybe if it is just a 30 year old balloon, the motor has a chance to live again. 

Yeah it's rubber gone gooey with age not heat.

Rubber is not thermoplastic, it won't melt into liquid when it gets hot... probably selfcombust before anything. If motor got too hot the black endbell (=injection molded Thermoplastic) would've melted into a drippy blob first.

Just clean the rubber mess off mechanically. It won't dissolve with solvents either, so alcohols don't do much. Maybe WD40 could help a little.

Even back in the day I could never understand tamiya's obsession with making stuff water/weather resistant and putting a balloon on the motor and speed controller I never did follow that and to my memory I can't remember ever having weather damage problems but I do remember seeing balloons melting on speed controller and buggies getting stuck in full forward ending not so pretty and balloons glueing themselves to motors!

On 1/20/2020 at 8:02 AM, moffman said:

Even back in the day I could never understand tamiya's obsession with making stuff water/weather resistant and putting a balloon on the motor and speed controller I never did follow that and to my memory I can't remember ever having weather damage problems but I do remember seeing balloons melting on speed controller and buggies getting stuck in full forward ending not so pretty and balloons glueing themselves to motors!

All the little extras or hop up parts that were Tamiya branded was another way to keep generating revenue for the company.  As a kid I remember looking at the option sheets or catelogs and dreaming about all the extra parts one could get.  As my budget (uh, parents) was limited I did a lot of dreaming.

I agree that they did go overboard on the weather protection stuff but folks bought into it!

On 1/19/2020 at 9:31 PM, juleo68 said:

0XI1A8b.jpg?1

Hi, i think that you got lucky with your 5€,  judging by the front lower wishbones they are Mk.1 early Hotshot, they have the 4 triangles. But the bumper is not MK.1, it is missing the 3 holes. Please have a look at the front driveshafts, are they having one or two rings on each end?

There are some more signs for Mk.1 or Mk.2  :

https://tamiyabase.com/articles/46-technical/176-distinguishing-the-hotshot-supershot-and-hotshot-ii

Following this thread as I’ve just bought a resto hotshot & need all help I cannget🤔

Hi

Some pictures of the reassembly...

daInrbb.jpg?1

upUl6iK.jpg?1

NVnHiX3.jpg?1

MKdKkeF.jpg?1

The main chassis is a rere new one, the original one was broken...:(

3ELA7BQ.jpg?1

vdqXCiJ.jpg?1

yhS1vq1.jpg?1

Same issue with the mecanic box...this one is brand new

u16D2Zh.jpg?1

• Like 1

Nice restoration effort. Though I couldn’t sleep knowing I’d swapped in the remake chassis parts ☺️ Maybe you can swap for a used original chassis one day, to keep all the stampings original. 

On the subject of rubber bags... I always fit them to my restos, and I try to keep a small spare stock of original rubber bags with the Tamiya logo on them. They don’t seem to melt at all when I run the cars. 

I actually coat the rubber bags with silicon oil to keep them hydrated so they don’t dry and crack, and it makes them easier to fit. Personally I love that Tamiya recommended all those kinds of details - the “over the top” nature of Tamiya builds with all the waterproofing, branding etc is a quintessential part of 1980s Tamiya cars and builds. Sure it makes no sense in a modern context. But I’m never happy with a restoration until I follow all those crazy details.

The 1980s were all about blocky, chunky, utilitarian excess in so many ways. I love the aesthetic of it 👍

cheers,

H. 

Hi

Thanks for your replies :rolleyes:

I understand about re-released parts, but I'd rather have a complete chassis than one in parts that will never be able to run!

Let's keep going!

This access cover was missing...No problem, I'll do one!

62pE5Qa.jpg?1

yYqPNPR.jpg?1

cd8mlLv.jpg?1

wKoReaB.jpg?1

• Like 1

Hi

Latest pics with body painted...

IHB7QFH.jpg?1

5vAvulO.jpg?1

AF9d0qY.jpg?1

Some outdoor pics!

iD7w2G3.jpg?1

evWo5C9.jpg?1

6Bac7Ow.jpg?1

jGYPypr.jpg?1

My Hotshot is now ready to be used again!

Regards

• Like 6

18 hours ago, kasparov said:

Very nice...….what made you choose Green over the Box art red?

Because I prefer green than red...;)