toyolien

Wild Willy 2 vs Comical Grasshopper

I'm looking at my next build. I fancy something fun and have narrowed it down to either a WW2 or Comical. I'm just really after some real-world opinions on how they both drive/handle? I already have a couple of Lunch Boxes which are great fun, so I'm not expecting race buggy handling. 

I love the look of the WW2 but like the idea of a lighter lexan body of the Comical.

So, hit me with your opinions/experiences of both if you please ;)

Any WR02 will handle better then a Lunchbox!!

Dunno, them Comicals still haven't caught my fancy yet... I just don't find them all that amusing :( maybe when I finally see The Frog comical that might change, but nowadays they ain't cheap downunder either. 

I still think the Farm King is the oddest funniest one of that lot :) 

• Like 2

I like the look of the Comicals, but the WW2 wins every time for me. 

It’s a lot of fun and I’ve never tired of it as a model, it was one of the few models I’ve regretted selling and then replaced.

Lots of customisation possibilities and mods, but it looks great box art and is fun to run with just a set of bearings as an upgrade. 

• Like 1

Since I have WW2, I don't seem to want comicals. 

I like military vehicles like Fast Attach Vehicle, XR311, etc.  So if I had a comical, I'd probably want WW2.  

I tend to think that the heavier body of WW2 is a good thing.  I can easily simulate comicals by removing the resin body and run it "naked."  (I'm sure every Willy owner had done it at one point)  Somehow it's no fun running WW2 without the body.   

I have a long-term obsession with almost anything Wild Willy related, so my opinion may be slightly biased!

But good things to say about both -

I like the Comical buggies but the WW2 is definitely the best looking IMHO. They're good tough little trucks though the rollbar spotlights are vulnerable. I'd recommend a set of bearings and a steel pinion as necessary hop-ups. Oil shocks help tame the bouncing a little bit and there's a ton of other stuff you can get if you want, or keep it simple and have a blast anyway.

The Comicals are fun too. The lighter bodies and revised suspension make a difference but the basic (bonkers!) character remains. They're not bad value either, in the UK they're usually cheaper than a WW2 and they include oil shocks in the kit.

However, the Comical Hornet and Frog use the new (slightly naff!) 'multi-purpose driver figure' instead of Willy - Tamiya, what were you thinking??? ;)  (All is not lost, he can be retro-fitted :) )

I'm talking too much, let's have some pics...

DSCF8574.JPG

DSCF0538.JPG

DSCF0883.JPG

DSCF1677.JPG

• Like 3

Oh dear, you’ve given me an excuse to link to my Comical hornet 😁

image.thumb.jpeg.3d22e7bfa30caea351d03bef5a051cf0.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.847f41b57d1b52a7263d0e5588b37d3d.jpeg

I have a comical grasshopper too and love to take them for some park bashing with our daughter. They look so silly, people flood over asking what they are. 

So my advice is, get the one that makes you happy, and that you’ll enjoy talking about. Because you’ll be doing a lot of talking.

• Like 2

Thanks for all the replies, chaps. Most interesting reading.

However, after much deliberation I've decided to go with....

BOTH!

Well, I've ordered a Comical Grasshopper, and a Wild Willy 2 body, wheels and tires. So, I'm hoping i can have two vehicles in one, by just changing the wheels and body. That's the plan anyway.

Build thread(s) coming soon.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Bwaaatch said:

image.thumb.jpeg.847f41b57d1b52a7263d0e5588b37d3d.jpeg

I sometimes struggle to see past Box Art, but this goes to show just how it can change the whole demeanour of something with a bit of imagination 👍🏻
Very nicely done, as others on here, I hadn’t really given Wheelies or comical’s a second look until now. 😁

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Re-Bugged said:

I sometimes struggle to see past Box Art, but this goes to show just how it can change the whole demeanour of something with a bit of imagination 👍🏻
Very nicely done, as others on here, I hadn’t really given Wheelies or comical’s a second look until now. 😁

Neat work... but first glance I thought it was Shodog Jim's doing :P y'know he loved his Rothmans liveries :D 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1