a.w.k.

1988 Marui Shogun

I reassembled the Marui Shogun after cleaning and refurbishing. Instead of the plastic bushings i used rubber sealed ball bearings.

sho3.thumb.jpg.e4a090679a2b2eeb07b16b4a0f780cde.jpg

sho4.thumb.jpg.bf180b273c5b2e79f792462bd34535af.jpg

sho5.thumb.jpg.1de92ab243b1104ff2ef36e23eff9084.jpg

It's such a cool car when it's sitting low on the ground.

sho8.thumb.jpg.58dac2f77878a3a92c52c4fd62afdcc8.jpg

sho9.thumb.jpg.ca7e817a8506c6fc2bf43bcc69fe099f.jpg

It's in full working order with msc and 80s Robbe compact radio, a rebranded Futaba FP-T2M radio.

sho6.thumb.jpg.3e83c2b8123e587f41bd5fa5f36d2eac.jpg

Despite the body looking reasonable ok in the photos (for it's age) i think i will order a replacement body and decals from Canada.

sho7.thumb.jpg.a131aadd8f873cf6a86ca1694a36c729.jpg

• Like 13

Fantastic buggy, and yeah, that's a lovely Robbe radio! 

My cousin had that one to run his Boomerang back in the day :)

@a.w.k. thanks for resurrecting this brilliant piece of RC history! I still have mine that I ran extensively through the late 80's, its in need of some work but its all there and in reasonably good shape. I recall that I had bent the center shaft and the 3 x58mm screw attaching the rear gearbox (too many front impacts) but hopefully replacements are still available. I too would like to get hold of a new body and decal set - if you have any contacts/links to source this, much appreciated.

Thanks for posting - brings back some great memories.

7 hours ago, nginsb said:

if you have any contacts/links to source this

Hi nginsb, the two canadian suppliers are team blue groove, tbg and mci, mciracing. Please google them, as i don't know if it is allowed to provide links. tbg sells via the bay and mci has a homepage. Not everyone on tc likes them, because they also sell Tamiya repros, therefore hurting Tamiyas IP. Here is an interresting read:

PS   that 3x58mm screw was also heavily bent on my shogun, i had to straighten it......the car was used bitd as intended 😁

• Thanks 1

Very nice work , great buggy . I don't have this buggy but I have the chassis on my Elliott Thunderbird , a nice bit of kit

Thanks for the info @a.w.k., also for the link which is very interesting. I won't open that can of worms here, but will check out the various aftermarket suppliers suggested,  I'd have no issues making use of one of them, if it helps to restore my Shogun (for which original parts just aren't available).

Such a gorgeous looking buggy, esthetically speaking my all time favorite.

I've lost quite a few auctions on ebay trying to get one, I'm still hoping I'll be able to someday, though they don't come up often...

Nice job on your refurbishing.

Looks great and even the fragile wheels are intact. Always loved the obvious John Player Special Lotus influence on the Shogun.