ALEXKYRIAK

Lancia Rally 58040 re-creation build

8 hours ago, Frog Jumper said:

Did you try a Brat front post???

I love your ORV...

Yes I did...! It’s too tall hence the bespoke route. However the original manual gives me something to aim at in terms of dimensions. Approx 23mm. Shouldn’t be a problem to sort this out other than the faff of rebuilding the front end  

Lancia front post

wish I’d thought this far ahead at the start of the project...! 🙄 

The 58040 and 58038 share the same front post , so is the re-re Lancia bonnet area different to that of the original Lancia body ? otherwise it should work .  My original 58040 has the same post as the Brat

With these shock mounts and the standoff spacers I have used, this is limiting the body from dropping a bit further. view on the inside:

Lancia front body mount

Lancia front body mount

I can use a slightly shorter shock standoff / spacer to gain back a few mm to drop the nose of the body down a little.

Externally it’s clear it just needs a slightly longer screw to gain another 5mm or so:

Lancia front body mount

Just for comparison, on the left is the body post and pin connector as found in the re-re Brat kit:

Lancia front body mount

The side mounts work perfectly with a small spacer:

Lancia front body mount

Lancia front body mount

The OCD in me plans to de-anodise these blue parts and strip them back to the bare aluminium...!

• Like 2

Can you trim the plastic piece that holds the front mount so the brat mount sits lower???  

Terry

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, ALEXKYRIAK said:

With these shock mounts and the standoff spacers I have used, this is limiting the body from dropping a bit further. view on the inside:

Lancia front body mount

Lancia front body mount

I can use a slightly shorter shock standoff / spacer to gain back a few mm to drop the nose of the body down a little.

Externally it’s clear it just needs a slightly longer screw to gain another 5mm or so:

Lancia front body mount

Just for comparison, on the left is the body post and pin connector as found in the re-re Brat kit:

Lancia front body mount

The side mounts work perfectly with a small spacer:

Lancia front body mount

Lancia front body mount

The OCD in me plans to de-anodise these blue parts and strip them back to the bare aluminium...!

I see now. 

Agree with taking off the blue and going with silver Ali.

Great work all round. 

Could you shorten the stroke of the front shocks a few mm with an internal spacer and use the lower, outer shock mount holes? That should clear the shell? 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ThunderDragonCy said:

Could you shorten the stroke of the front shocks a few mm with an internal spacer and use the lower, outer shock mount holes? That should clear the shell? 

I would recommend shortening the shocks and tower, to avoid rubbing the inside of the body during driving.  

A CRP #9114 is shorter, and you might be able to use the same shocks.  You can get a 3D printed version of the #9114 on Shapeways and/or EBAY.

Also, I have some Brat parts sitting around.  I'll play with them tonight and let you know my results.  Selfish reasons - I want to do the same Build you're doing here.  The Body looks great, and I want something that's not a buggy and not a truck...

Terry

First of all i have to say this is a very nice work, very good executed. A 037 done with readily available, actual parts!!!!
Hello Mr. Tamiya are you reading??

8 hours ago, ALEXKYRIAK said:

Yes I did...! It’s too tall hence the bespoke route. However the original manual gives me something to aim at in terms of dimensions. Approx 23mm. Shouldn’t be a problem to sort this out other than the faff of rebuilding the front end  

Lancia front post

The measure for the front post for the Subaru is 28mm, so the 037 sits 5mm lower, i think it will be spot on with those shock mounts you have there without modifying them. 

3 hours ago, KEV THE REV said:

Lancia front body mount

Keep up the good work, i think i will do the same......

• Like 1

Lancia front post

I think its cool how you can see the old ORV Diff Gear pictured to the left (#9).  It didn't have the (3) mini gears, but had a splined brass center to fit the drive cups.  These were also used in the first gen Brats, before they intro-ed the mini geared tranny...  Replacement NIB gearing occasionally pop up on Ebay for $$$...

Terry

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Frog Jumper said:

I would recommend shortening the shocks and tower

If the shock position was moved to the lower position as stated before , then the top of the shock tower could be removed and reshaped giving plenty of room to lower the body , even the mid position on the shock tower might be enough to give the clearance needed and then fit a spacer inside the shock to shorten the stroke .

I kept looking at your front end wondering why it looked weird to me...

Then I realized you have your front shocks mounts on backwards, or at least backwards from the way I mounted them on my Jumper!

LOL!

Terry

D4vqqzX.jpg

• Like 1

0QWmha5.jpg

Hopefully that pix works...

Guessing at 5mm, I trimmed 5mm off a typical Brat Front Mount and added the Post.  I had to use a shorter screw...

Should work just fine for this application, though the shock towers may be too tall...  

Terry

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Well first of all, thank you to all providing assistance and suggestions. I have now solved the issue, it took a while (with some classic mistakes along the way) but have now managed to achieve enough height to the front mounting hole to secure the front pin. 

Lancia Rally front mount: the revenge of the front mount

So I pulled the front end apart, took out the black front mount plastic piece, installed a 5mm longer screw, and then refitted the aluminium mounting piece with an additional spacer. The effect of this is to increase the differential height between the mount pinhole and the top of the shock screws. This brings the body, once fitted, away from the  shock top screws.

@Frog Jumper just for you mate, I also took the opportunity to reverse the damper mounts! :) 

I also have a set of CRP replicas from shapeways but these are in fact longer than these mounts.  

Additionally I had been planning to add an internal spacer to the shocks to reduce the height, to also bring the nose of the car down to take a little length out of the Hornet shock ( @ThunderDragonCy you’re very astute in spotting this ). I installed 5mm of aluminium spacers into the hornet damper cylinder... I used these as I couldn’t  get the standard tamiya o-rings to fit inside the hornet damper cylinder, the cylinder is too narrow a diameter.

Anyway, all fitted, could still do with a little further adjustment potentially but it’s ok so far  

Thanks all for the input :)  More to follow. 

- - - - - - - - - - - -

BUILD THREAD: THE OUT-TAKES:

So whilst rushing through the front end I managed to do this... epic fail:

‘nuff said. I have nothing else to say on the matter 🙄 ! I hope I’ll be allowed back onto the Tamiya Club forums soon....

• Like 5

Looking good , and yes you're still in .

I think we have all done something like that whilst in a bit of a rush to see the result ;)

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, ALEXKYRIAK said:

So whilst rushing through the front end I managed to do this... epic fail:

Tarmac-spec! Just like how they ran them at Corsica ;)

The whole project is coming along quite attractively! I have been enjoying following this build so far :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, ThunderDragonCy said:

Chapeau

I wonder how many other people googled this to see what it meant ? . Pardon my ignorance but I've not heard of this before , I'll need to remember it for future use :)

47 minutes ago, KEV THE REV said:

I wonder how many other people googled this to see what it meant ? . Pardon my ignorance but I've not heard of this before , I'll need to remember it for future use :)

It's a cycling thing 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Lancia original rears

ok so haven’t done much on my projects recently for various reasons, one of which is that I can’t do any spray painting without a mask, and those are naturally in short supply right now and much needed elsewhere. So with only the body left to do on this project, it’s been on pause for a little bit.

In a mad impulse eBay moment, whilst I missed out on the hen’s teeth and the unicorn tears,  I did manage to secure an original set of rear Lancia Rally wheels and tyres......! These things appear to be super rare.

After I picked myself up off the floor, this leaves me with several issues to deal with. 

1. I didn’t research if/how these could fit to the current parts I am using... an expensive buy, without adequate research, can be dangerous mistake. 

2. the tyres look obviously a bit old and used but are in good overall condition. Will need to clean them somehow... but what’s the best method?

3. the wheels seem to have been painted in the past, there’s an old  flaky yellow layer on it. What’s the best way to clean an old plastic component such as this? I want to restore it to a nice white finish  

4. Without a set of original  Lancia front wheels to match, the car may look odd or imbalanced, as the Honda City front wheels and tyres I’m using are a slightly smaller diameter. 

Will update here as I go, any advice on the cleaning and restoration of these old parts would be much appreciated. :) 

• Like 3

These things appear to be super rare

Maybe someone in future will be able to 3D print these wheels ? , with the proposed 3D printing on the forum being discussed  , it might just happen

• Like 1

Hi ALEXKYRIAK I bid on those wheels on eBay too because I have the fronts which have exactly the same goldish paint on them, I’m not kidding I bought them off eBay about a year ago and the paint is exactly the same as yours I’m not sure if they are from the same seller but they must have been a set at some point 

the paint is unbelievably difficult to get off so far I’ve soaked them in brake fluid but it hasn’t touched it! My next try was going to be desolvit graffiti remover, I only bought them and bid on the ones you bought because I know how hard they are to find (I also have a good set of used front tyres and 2 sets of nos rear tyres) all surplus to my requirements as my vintage Lancia 037 is all ready complete and restored. I’ll bring them home from work next week and post a picture of them,I’m loving your Lancia build it’s one of my favourite tamiyas even though they look a bit out of proportion there is just something about them

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Britaff said:

the paint is unbelievably difficult to get off so far I’ve soaked them in brake fluid but it hasn’t touched it! My next try was going to be desolvit graffiti remover

I always use De solvit, and it works wonders. The trick is to apply it and leave the item about half an hour before you clean it all of with a tooth brush. If you clean it off too early, it doesn't soften the paint enough.

J

• Thanks 1

on the tires. i just acquired a old audi  quattro. i found(on here) about Vegatable Glycerin to help. i repaired a couple of cracks. then messaged it inside and out and bagged for about 3 days. they came out great!  actually drive the chassis today seemed to handle just fine for what it is. 

20200422_185323.jpg

20200422_185323 (1).jpg

20200426_142424_HDR (1).jpg

• Like 3

I finally remembered to dig out the Lancia front wheels at work i know how hard they are to get hold of but if they are any good to you I would sell them to help a Tamiya club brother out! They don’t owe me a lot and I’m not out to make a profit.

i think if you can get the paint off and they leave them in peroxide in the sun (if it comes back out) they should come out good the edges are a bit rashed but should sand out ok

image.jpg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Britaff said:

leave them in peroxide in the sun (if it comes back out)

:lol:    -

Great offer there , good on you fella .

If anyone wants to know what hens teeth look like - there's a pic of a pair