ALEXKYRIAK

Lancia Rally 58040 re-creation build

On 4/27/2020 at 3:19 AM, jeninjohnk said:

on the tires. i just acquired a old audi  quattro. i found(on here) about Vegatable Glycerin to help. i repaired a couple of cracks. then messaged it inside and out and bagged for about 3 days. they came out great!  actually drive the chassis today seemed to handle just fine for what it is. 

20200422_185323.jpg

20200422_185323 (1).jpg

20200426_142424_HDR (1).jpg

Very nice . Are they new wheels or is that peroxide treatment ?

@Britaff sorry for late response and many thanks for offer, top man! Will PM you. Those Front wheels look like the long lost brothers of my rear wheels.  Thank you Tamiya Brother!

@jeninjohnk they turned out beautifully!

@junkmunki my desolvit arrived this morning, many thanks for the tip. 

@KEV THE REV was gonna ask about 3D printing these things are that rare...

@KEV THE REV i just gave a quick shot of tamiya ts paint.   I kept a little of the yellowing by the spokes for the "slightly aged look". 

ALEXKYRIAK-- thanks.  hope this helps with ur tires. your build is AMAZING!!!!

• Like 1

Lancia wheels full set

Well this has turned out better than I could have ever hoped for.

I now have an original set of Lancia front wheels to complete the wheel set, thanks to the truly magnificent @Britaff. Thanks mate, you are very kind and a truly appreciated gesture. 

I have some Revell paint remover on the way, in case the de-solvit spray I have doesn’t do the trick (I suspect I bought the wrong type of de-solvit) 

Lancia wheels full set

The plastic wheels have the same type of paint applied to them as the tears as far as I can tell. The wheels will generally need a little sanding to soften out the rims a bit. The rubber on the front wheels is in excellent condition. Will need to clean the rear wheels to match.

Lancia wheels full set

Lancia wheels full set

Will try to get these fitted over the weekend and do some comparison pics of the Honda city wheels vs these. These are much more bulky looking even if the diameter is only slightly bigger. 

Ah, the things that make a grown man happy ...

• Like 2

3 hours ago, ALEXKYRIAK said:

Ah, the things that make a grown man happy ...

Little things can mean a LOT . Great to see you have the full set

• Like 1

Soapy water and a nail brush will bring the rear tyres up a treat, it’s good to see the front and rear wheels reunited 

• Like 2

Lancia

So I just tried a test fit prior to cleaning the wheels and tyres. Lovely... much, much  better. These wheels feel much more composed and correct, it’s amazing how such a small difference can have such an impact on the composition, character and stance of a car. 

Lancia

Lancia

I was waiting to be able to purchase a spray painting mask to be able to paint and finish the body, but with the good weather I might try to paint it outdoors (assuming I can find a window in childcare duties....!) 

I fitted the rears with a standard plastic hub, but the axle from the Brat donor car is too long.  Currently I’ve used a small bearing as a spacer but this is not a proper solution, so I will have to do a bit more research here to fix this. You might just see the ‘spacer’ in the third photo of you zoom in. 

But wow! Lancia wheels on my recreation build. Feeling quite happy about this build :)   

• Like 6

Thanks for posting this build.  I have had two original bodies (New In Box and New In Bag) for years waiting for a set of wheels to come up that were in good order and not silly priced.  Ummm, well still waiting.  I was wondering what I was going to do with the bodies and figured I would get a frog or brat and adapt a set of wheels.  With that said and with the release of the revised Wheeler (Honda City Turbo) I bought of couple sets of wheels and tires with one set going to my Audi Quattro rebuild and another for a possible build of one of my Lancia bodies.  I saw a pic of your car and then it became clear I just need to move forward and use the Audi/Opel wheels and move on.  So just this week decided to pull the trigger on a Brat for a donor chassis and it should coming in the post soon.  I like the idea too of a shelf version and a running version with the shocks as you have done.  We will see on that, Just one step at a time.  

• Like 2