lowspot

58005 Lamborghini Countach colours

Hi everybody

I'm struggling with my upcoming build, a Lamborghini Countach LP500S Walter Wolf 58005  The original main Tamiya colours are TS15 and flat black (whatever color code that is)

The real car has a slightly different colour than the Tamiya one. My intension is to give it to a professional painter.

What do you think, should I go with the Tamiya box art or with the real colour from Walter Wolf (my impression is that the Tamiya one is too dark)

btw: same goes with the golden wheels, the Tamiya scheme is totally wrong. And the mirrors on the box are golden while the original ones were black. I couldn't find any picture with a golden one.

Please let me hear your thoughts

I would use google images for the colour scheme. The seem to be red and blue ones!!

Personally, id go box art.

I had the same thing with my 58008 lp500s. The tamiya one is slightly different to the real one. In the end, i went box art. Its a tamiya the way tamiya ment it, not a scale model.

I have three Countach's and my intention is to have the competition special and non competition in box art colours, and i am currently restoring one to Walter Wolfe colours. The real car is Bugatti blue, but there is no exact colour match in model paint.

I tried the TS-15, and found it too dark, so i oversprayed it with TS-10 french blue which is the same as the Sand Scorcher colour, and with the dark blue as a backer, it looks a lot closer to the original.

While it is still a bit lighter than Bugatti blue, i quite like it, so i might leave it as is and carry on with the black wheel arches etc.

J

DSC_5642.JPG

• Thanks 1

Try Zero paints. Can be purchased from www.hiroboy.com  They have every colour imaginable, all auto colours. As its a hard body they are well suited. The only issue is you have to use the right primer as it stops the paint eating the plastic. I think Tamiya primer works. More details on their website.

This Canadian who owned his own Formula I racing team bought several Lamborghini's, at on point he even considered to buy the factory completely to save it. His first Countach was a white LP400, a fairly standard model, but Walter Wolf became famous for his 'special' Countach, he had three of them made, all equipped with an especially designed 5.0-Liter engine. In September 1974, Wolf received his first 'customized' Countach, a bright red LP400, chassis nr. 112.0148, this car was equipped with the special 5.0-Liter engine and large Pirelli P7 tires, which required enlarged wheel-arches, a front spoiler and an adjustable rear wing were also installed. Along with a special F1-type steering wheel with 'Walter Wolf' engraved in it,special AP disc brakes with eight calipers and a Borg & Beck double-disc clutch, it all added up to an unique Countach. Only a year later, in early 1976, Walter Wolf bought his second 'special' Countach, this one with chassis nr. 1.120.202, was modified the same way as his first car, the 5.O-Liter engine was put into this chassis, but it remained a Lamborghini property, it wasn't owned by Wolf himself. This car was finished in a brilliant Bugatti light-blue, with natural leather upholstery, gold colored wheels and pin striping. The wheel-arch extensions were black and this time the rear wing was electrically adjustable from within the cockpit. This car also featured Walter Wolf signets and Canadian flags. This particular car was recently restored and is currently owned by a German. Wolf's third 'special' was actually the first LP400 S built. He had the same 5.0-Liter engine installed, together with his double-disc Borg & Beck F1-type clutch and the eight-caliper disc brakes, which were now fully adjustable from within the cockpit. This car was finished in an aggressive dark blue/black and featured special Walter Wolf Racing hubcaps, but on the 1978 Geneva Auto Show, where it was displayed as the first LP400 S, it didn't have the rear wing installed, however Wolf did have it installed before he took delivery of it. Walter Wolf was also the lucky guy who received a Miura SV as late as April 1975, this car with chassis number 5092 was built from spare parts three years after the Miura production was halted. 

• Like 1

It just has to be the blue/black arches/ gold wheels all day long! because that is the iconic image and colours when you think of the Walter wolf lambo! When people say a car looks as though its doing 100mph standing still!  the countach looks like it's going the speed of light when its standing still........its just stunning!!!

39c2ab5227dbff39c6a8f637c512780e.jpg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, junkmunki said:

I have three Countach's and my intention is to have the competition special and non competition in box art colours, and i am currently restoring one to Walter Wolfe colours. The real car is Bugatti blue, but there is no exact colour match in model paint.

I tried the TS-15, and found it too dark, so i oversprayed it with TS-10 french blue which is the same as the Sand Scorcher colour, and with the dark blue as a backer, it looks a lot closer to the original.

While it is still a bit lighter than Bugatti blue, i quite like it, so i might leave it as is and carry on with the black wheel arches etc.

J

DSC_5642.JPG

The paint Job is quite a tricky one. I intend to paint the body shell first (primer and blue color) , then apply the decals, then paint over with clear coat, then paint the wheel archers and all black parts, as they are flat black. It's gone be a challenge ! I have also scrapped the idea to give it to painter. I'm doing it myself. Just building a paint booth.

1 hour ago, moffman said:

It just has to be the blue/black arches/ gold wheels all day long! because that is the iconic image and colours when you think of the Walter wolf lambo! When people say a car looks as though its doing 100mph standing still!  the countach looks like it's going the speed of light when its standing still........its just stunning!!!

39c2ab5227dbff39c6a8f637c512780e.jpg

No question, it's gone be the blue one. And that picture is the perfect example. Door mirrors are black, not golden and the color of the wheels is far brighter than Tamiya"s gold -  it looks almost like a bright brass. 

they are all good colours, but for me its pure white inside and out. Maybe it has something to do with a poster I saw (with model), but I've always liked the almost pure white versions. Thats what I have slowly been restored mine as.

Whatever colour you pick though, it'll look superb!