Smokescreen38

Which RWD platform (with some ground clearance) for this extra Datsun 240z Rally?

Please excuse my noob questions :) 

I’d like to drive this Datsun on dirt surfaces and I’d prefer the realism of RWD only.  Is there an I. production/affordable 251mm chassis that would do this for me?  

It looks like the DF03ra platform would have been the original platform for this body but that one seems pretty pricey...and 4wd anyway. 

thanks! 
Mike

I think this body was also released on the TT01E chassis around the same time it was released on the DF03Ra, so that's another option to consider.  I know it's 4WD, but you could always leave the center prop shaft out to make it RWD, or you could replace the front diff with a front one-way bearing, and that will give you 4WD traction on acceleration but RWD braking only, so you can pull some sharp turns or spin out more easily like a RWD would.  The current TT02 offers the same shorter (251mm) wheelbase option, and it also offers a higher height/ground clearance option.  The older TT01 chassis needed some Dremel work to give it more ground clearance.  Anyhow, you can buy a "first try" TT02 chassis kit for relatively little money and modify/upgrade from there.  Try a TT02 and put a front one-way in it.

• Like 1

Thanks. I’ll consider modifying a TT02. You make a good case. 

Aside from my Traxxas Slash and TRX4 Bronco, a TT02 is my only other land based RC. The build was a blast and it drives great.  I still want to look for a new experience for this Datsun though...

If affordable realism is your aim, how about going for a TT-01 or TT-02, with a one-way at the front as suggested, but install the one way backwards? This will give you rear wheel drive and 4-wheel braking, just like a full-size.

How do you intend to run your creation once it's built?  Are you looking for a car that has the right drivetrain that will sit on the shelf, or do you expect to be able to drive it on the rough stuff and have fun?

This is a question that crops up from time to time and is usually answered by pointing out that RWD rally is very hard to drive in 1:10 scale.  There is a reason why most 1:10 touring and rally is either FWD or AWD.  Normal hooman beens don't have the reactions required to correct slides at that scale.

Now if you want something that's mostly there, you can probably do this using an M04.  TL01 arms will give you standard touring width, and extra chassis extension parts will adjust the length to more or less where you need it to be.  You might be able to flip the TL-01 arms to adjust further.  Alternatively it's quite easy to make custom-length chassis plates for the M04 out of aluminium, GRP or graphite sheet.  The M04 has a mid-motor layout that provides the traction you need at the rear, the extra wheelbase should improve stability and the extra width might help too.  I'm not sure how much ride height you can get from a TL/M04 hybrid - consider using CVDs in the rear to give more suspension angle without losing the dogbone, and look at the hubs to see if a bit of creative dremeling will get a bit more lift.  The M04 was never the most capable car in the stable but it might work.  Addition of a gyro might make it driveable enough.

1:10 RWD buggies have had much more development over the years, so if you were looking for something capable then that's where I would consider starting.  Your problems will be wheelbase, track width and body clearance.  But with some customising and some clever parts mixing you might be able to build something suitable.  You will lose performance by narrowing the track and reducing the suspension travel but it might be the best compromise.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TurnipJF said:

If affordable realism is your aim, how about going for a TT-01 or TT-02, with a one-way at the front as suggested, but install the one way backwards? This will give you rear wheel drive and 4-wheel braking, just like a full-size.

That is a really interesting. It did not occur to me that that would be the result of doing that. Don't suppose you know whether such an option exists for the TA02... My Lancia 037 needs just that set up!

The Tamiya chassis that support 251mm wheelbase without modifications are the TA-02, TT-01, TT-02, and DF-03ra. None of them are going to be any good RWD. More tuning and setup options are needed to help a car drive better as RWD than those chassis can offer. A gyro will help a lot to control it though. Your best bet is to modify a higher end chassis to reduce the wheelbase.

I’m currently have a 251mm wheelbase RWD project car on the back burner. It’s a TA-06 converted to RWD and with TA-04SS rear arms to shorten the wheelbase. I have a Futaba GY450 gyro for it to help keep it in the right direction. Driving a RWD car is easy if you’re in the driver’s seat. But without that butt gyro telling you how to steer and apply the throttle, driving a grossly overpowered RWD car from the outside with visual cues alone is very difficult.

For the TA-02 there is a one-way you can install inside the case of a gear differential. Installing it backwards will do the trick. There is also a costlier center one-way that should perform better since the front differential will still work as normal. The TA-02 just doesn’t drive very well as RWD.

We’ve all tried driving our AWD cars and trucks as RWD at some point to increase realism, but the truth is that without some serious tinkering to make it drive ok as RWD, you’ll get tired of it quickly and go back to AWD.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, njmlondon said:

That is a really interesting. It did not occur to me that that would be the result of doing that. Don't suppose you know whether such an option exists for the TA02... My Lancia 037 needs just that set up!

Yes you can do it with the TA03 front one way, just install it backwards. Can use same part TA01/2/3 TL01, MF01X, possibly others. 

I did it in a MF01X I converted to 190mm wide x 251mm for a 1/10 Porsche build. 

19 minutes ago, Juls1 said:

Yes you can do it with the TA03 front one way, just install it backwards. Can use same part TA01/2/3 TL01, MF01X, possibly others. 

I did it in a MF01X I converted to 190mm wide x 251mm for a 1/10 Porsche build. 

Awesome thanks for the heads up. Suddenly want to head home and start building!