smirk-racing

Need advice: CW-01 on-road build

Hi all,

I am itching for a new odd-ball build and I’ve settled on converting my Lunchbox to on-road use.  I already have a four-link set-up in the rear, and the Ampro arms up front. I will remove the battery compartment and switch over to the grasshopper mounts for the rear suspension (this will lower the chassis by half an inch or so). I think there is an easy swap for the front arms as well to put them in the same location as they would be for a grasshopper (or, the original pajero which was based on the cw-01).

Any thoughts or advice on this? What else would you change or do to make the chassis perform as well as possible on-road?

Thanks!

• Like 1

Yep, that's how it was before it turned into CW01.  

I put in the Hornet parts so the gearbox could pivot.  Fishing line mod wasn't entirely successful. There was no room for the 3rd gear, either.  So I put a piece of sponge as an interim measure.  I'm curious as to see your 4-link suspension.  

uPnpQIx.jpg

Thanks for sharing!

2 hours ago, Juggular said:

There was no room for the 3rd gear,

I am guessing you meant third shock? Seems a bit tight in there once you switch to the grasshopper suspension mounts. With the 4-link the need for either the brace (ampro solution) or the 3rd shock goes away entirely, so I ought to be ok on that front.

Do you like having the shocks upside down? I've read about folks running them that way.

I'll share some pics once I dust off the chassis.

• Like 1

Yes, I meant 3rd shock.  

I looked up 4 link suspension. It's so good, it's like a different car entirely.  It was just convenient to mount the shocks upside down.  I don't think they behave differently.  

• Like 2

39687974311_47e589bc5c.jpgDSCN0414 by Scott Weiland, on Flickr

11 hours ago, Juggular said:

It's so good, it's like a different car entirely.

It really is. I did this to my Lunch Box and the change was remarkable. Once you get past all the 3rd shocks, braces and fishing line fixes, the truth is, at its core, the rear suspension system of these vehicles is flat-out flawed. Straighten it out with a 4 link WITH proper shock location and its a whole new driving experience. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1