Bromley

WP 1080 internal BEC?

I have a WP1080 in my cc02.  I am over the moon with its performance. 

But I don't really know what the internal BEC is for and how to access it properly. Is it the same socket as the programming port?

If it is, can I use the programming port to power a Tamiya TLU-01 lighting unit?

I'm terrified if I connect it up incorrectly I'll let the smoke out!

The instructions talk about the ESC having a BEC, but no information on how it works or when to use it.

BEC = Battery Eliminator Circuit

the Battery eliminated is the 4xAAs to power your Radiogear 

Your main Drive battery (assume lipo 2s) feeds 8.4V to the ESC.

ESC's BEC reduces the volts to ~6.0V to feed to the Receiver to power it and your servo/s; most* Receivers will blow up if fed more than 6.0V. 

(* there are also some Receivers With BEC builtin, they'll be so labelled - these you can safely feed 7.2-8.4V to directly.)

What is Programming Port? On ESC or RX?

Afaik TLU-01 expects to be fed full Drive Battery volts 7.2-8.4V. 

If you feed it lesser BEC voltage the lights might be dimmer.

Splice the TLU-01 power wire to the main power plug of Drive battery; it should've come with tap lead with male & female Tamiya battery plug?

Other LED kits might expect 6.0V and come with a servo plug or little red JST plug. Yes if the current draw is minimal** then you can usually tap 6.0V from the receiver's servo output pins. Some RXes have a 3rd channel or BATT port unused, or you can add a servo Y-double adaptor cable. 

**BECs will have a Maximum designed current, if you draw too much current your servos will brownout & start glitching. Avoid plugging in more than 1 light kit. 

• Thanks 1

Ok, ok... according to manual https://cdn-global-hk.hobbyking.com/media/file/q/u/quicrun_80a116065.pdf ESC has 3pin plug.

This is to plug in the Programming Card to adjust ESC settings.

In previous Hobbywing ESCs we used to have to disconnect its lead to the RX and plug that lead into the Programming Card to do our adjusting. (Was PITA if my RX was tucked away somewhere sealed or secluded.) 

No idea if that new Programming Port is simply just connected piggyback through to the receiver lead (so you didn't have to remove to do Programming). High chance it might be. 

• Thanks 1

I use Dean's connectors so the Tamiya piggyback connector had to go. In the end I just took power from the rx for the light unit. I have a short lead comming out of the rx box in to a JST socket and I've soldered a JST plug on to the light unit power lead. All works nicely and there's no nasty mess of cables looking at me though the windows.

Are LEDs any dimmer? TLU-01 has its own kind of switching routine to limit voltage/current to its LEDs, maybe it's more tolerant to lower input volts by itself. 

We were playing with TLU-02 and got some funny responses when powering off a 4xAA pack... seem to resolve itself when fed 7.2V. 

If you're ok with soldering, converting the TLU power lead to Deans is simple. Or just tack it onto the ESC's main plug. 

If you run lipo then there's always the balance plug too ;) buy some matching connectors, I sometimes plug in external BECs through there... handy for powerhungry winches etc