DGunn1

Terra Scorcher body

Hi all,

Does anyone know if there are any UK or EU producers of this body shell, or out of production body shells in general?

Thanks in advance

For 'out of production body shells in general', google Kamtec, or check out Penguin on eBay. Sometimes Blue Groove is your only option (I had to get an Avante 2001 shell from them; I couldn't find any UK/EU ones) but it's pretty expensive to ship body shells over from Canada, obvs. 

• Like 1

Thanks both, will check Kamtec and Penguin first.

Considered TBG, but following the customs and RM charges I had to pay recently for a diff rebuild kit I may just have to make all  my TS series chassis 'fire dragons' of various spec!

might be worth seeing if anyone else wants a TBG body and share the dreaded Royal Mail "handling" and customs fees?

2 hours ago, jonboy1 said:

might be worth seeing if anyone else wants a TBG body and share the dreaded Royal Mail "handling" and customs fees?

Hadn't considered that. I'd certainly be interested in a few of their repro bodies, so a bulk buy with others should be more cost effective. 

Of those who have purchased from TBG before, what's a typical customs and handling total?

Do they just list the product total or add the postage to the declaration their end? 

Where do people think a new topic to gauge interest would be best placed, general or vintage section?

Also what's people experience with MCI, speedy service, high handling fees uk end?

Saw they post free for orders over $50, but need to check if this includes overseas or within Canada only

2 hours ago, DGunn1 said:

Also what's people experience with MCI, speedy service, high handling fees uk end?

Saw they post free for orders over $50, but need to check if this includes overseas or within Canada only

that also applies to shipping worldwide. if you order i'd recommend going for the high gloss finish and maybe get the vinyls window masks for the terra scorcher as well.

ok they're never going to be as good as the originals (the MCI stickers are probably twice as thick). but yeah would have been next to impossible to restore my Terra Scorcher if they weren't around.

I've used MCI and TBG quite a bit and really can't fault them.

MCI - agree that the decals are thicker than the vintage Tamiya ones, but, having just spent 2 evenings having kittens trying to get vintage Vanquish and Super Shot decals on their respective bodies without them tearing from breathing on them, I can't really say that is a bad thing! :blink: I've not had to pay any customs or handling fees for their items, even on larger orders, and yes, the free shipping applies to worldwide orders over $50 and always pretty speedy. Also, must say Nathaniel is very helpful.

Having used both the high gloss and matt finishes, I would definitely recommend the high gloss, they are very high quality. The matt finish seems to have a lot less detail, which I guess is a side effect of the paper surface. The quality of the high gloss might not be 100% as good as Tamiya, but, as you can't get the original sponsor decals on the older kits or any discontinued decals for un-silly money, I really don't think you can complain too much.

TBG - same again, bodies are slightly thicker than the old Tamiya ones, but - again - after working on a paper thin original Vanquish body recently I'd be quite happy if it was a bit thicker! The details I think are much better than some of the other repro bodies available, and their range is far more extensive. From the ones I've worked on I reckon you would be very hard pressed to spot it was a repro. Again, very helpful and really nice people. Service is very quick (especially considering they make everything to order) and postage is very reasonable. You will end up paying a handling fee courtesy of Royal Mail and VAT (£8 handling, VAT on whatever the value is.) 

Personally I applaud small companies like this that are keeping the hobby alive and affordable for people like us - without them I reckon a lot of us would have called it a day trying to relive our misspent youth! :) 

Hope that helps!

• Like 1

23 hours ago, DGunn1 said:

Hi all, thanks for the advice particularly the high gloss option on decals

In case you haven't seen, Tamiya have just announced a re-re Terra Scorcher so no doubt there will be plenty of kits split and sold on ebay once they are available. You will be able to get a genuine body set easily.