Sign in to follow this  
ThunderDragonCy

CR01 or Carisma Sca-1e?

Friend at work has bought a cheap FTX crawler and it looks loads of fun. Never had a trail truck or anything like this, and i got wondering about something along those lines but more scale. Tamiya heart says Rock Socker which is £259 at model sport. I have all the electronics and radio gear in spares, and with a sensible paint job and no stickers i think the body could be ok looks wise. BUT looking into this more tha Carisma SCA-1E looks amazing and there is an RTR F150 for only a few quid more. I really don't need any of the RTR kit, but the thought of not having to paint the body appeals and i am not super fussed about a kit build. Sounds like it needs a bit of disassembly for bearing installation anyway so not a complete bust on the fiddling front. Any thoughts? Completely new to this side of the hobby. 

Someone on <cough> another forum asked about the Carisma and received the following response...

"If you do go for the Carisma Coyote may I suggest you buy the kit version. 

As well as getting the satisfaction of building it you also get the second generation parts over the RTR. 

These include chassis mounted servo and battery tray, stronger shock mounts, aluminium shocks and proper 1.9 beadlocks (albeit plastic). "

This is the thread, not much detail..

https://www.msuk-forum.co.uk/forums/topic/233183-what-is-the-best-budget-trail-truck/?page=2&tab=comments#comment-2481069

A lot more background here...

https://www.msuk-forum.co.uk/forums/topic/226230-got-my-carisma-sca-1e/

As for vs a Rocker Socker? They are quite different beasts and there is a thread on here running at the moment about the CR-01 being (or not being) worth the money.

Like you, my preference is Tamiya  - I have two CR-01 waiting to be built) - and from what I have read, bearings and metal driveshafts are all you need to make a solid CR-01.

However, if you want a crawler competitive CR-01 you are looking at many mods and more expense 

Not sure any of that helps...!

• Like 1

I got my son an CR-01 for his birthday we take it everywhere, I love the looks and although it might not be the "best" in the world its quirks make me love it.

I managed to get hold of a used chassis with loads of hop ups  and I am falling in love 

• Like 1

I think this issue is i don't know where crawler ends and trail truck starts. I won't be competing that's for sure, just driving around in the woods. Hmmmm. 

Given your love of tinkering and fabbing, I reckon you would get a lot out of a CR-01. 

I wish the photos still worked on @jeekelemental 's Tonkatsu build on the forum - here's the showroom - 

https://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom_model.asp?cid=123674

Not many pics here left after the Photobucket debacle bit some interesting resource..

http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/tamiya-cr-01/

I think it is our own @OldSchoolRC1 is the most prolific poster.

The only issue is the lack of available hop-ups.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, novicelad said:

That was a good deal.  

I tried to make an impulse buy, but it says; There are no shipping methods available for International (Hong Kong) warehouse.  

How is that "Global warehouse" is not delivering?  Did Hobbyking changed to brick & mortar store?  Is it only for people in Hong Kong? If so, why is that in English? 

I'm disappointed (to my wife's delight).  

Maybe I should get a GMade Bom, MST CMX (or CFX) or TRX4 kit instead...  

4 minutes ago, Juggular said:

That was a good deal.  

I tried to make an impulse buy, but it says; There are no shipping methods available for International (Hong Kong) warehouse.  

How is that "Global warehouse" is not delivering?  Did Hobbyking changed to brick & mortar store?  Is it only for people in Hong Kong? If so, why is that in English? 

By the time that is shipped (even if they did ship) and duty and VAT added that would cost more than a rock socker from Modelsport. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, ThunderDragonCy said:

By the time that is shipped (even if they did ship) and duty and VAT added that would cost more than a rock socker from Modelsport. 

The same model is c.£270 plus shipping from Tamico but they don’t have the Rock Socker any more. Nor is it in RCMart where it was pretty cheap.

The prices seem to have gone up since I bought my Rock Socker.

There also seems to have been a resurgence of interest in this chassis of late - seen a couple of showroom update on the TC site as well as three recent threads in the forum. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Juggular said:

That was a good deal.  

Ah ****** now I remember why I don't shop at hobbyking anymore 

• Haha 1