Saito2

A couple CC02 questions

I've had growing interest in this kit for some time. Any clue when we'll get one with a descent body? I'm anxious to get my hands on the chassis but the Mercedes body is a complete snooze to me. It seems to be more of a trail truck than a crawler which suits me as crawling doesn't interest me. I'd like to get some speed out of it. I liked my High Lift but didn't care for my CC01. I'm wondering if I should be looking at this one at all, but the build looks so fresh and tempting to me, despite it quirks.

• Like 1

It is (and was) a great build, with a few quirks, as you'd expect from Tamiya. Still waiting to get the body painted and finished to give it a run outside, no regrets with the purchase.

• Like 3

I don't know if you've already seen OldschoolRC1's CC-02 build thread here - but it appears to be a pretty conventional ladder chassis that uses regular body-posts & pins to mount the shell, so you ought to be able to build the chassis, and then fit an alternative body pretty easily?

Even if you wanted/needed to adjust the wheelbase length, that would be pretty straight forward with different length rear link-rods, and perhaps a longer rear prop shaft if the wheelbase is significantly different to stock?

Jx

• Like 2

7 hours ago, JennyMo said:

so you ought to be able to build the chassis, and then fit an alternative body pretty easily?

I figured that would be the case and I'm tempted to do that. The kit's a tiny bit on the pricey side and I'd be stuck with a Mercedes body I don't want and no one (at least in the US it seems) would buy. I'm getting impatient for a better body available in the kit, lol. 

I'm in the same boat as you Saito.  I think it's neat and I pretty much buy at least one of every trail/monster truck that Tamiya comes out with, but I do not like the body at all on this and it is a bit expensive.  I keep thinking it would be nice for them to follow in Axial or Redcats footsteps and offer a chassis kit, but Tamiya does not care what everyone else is doing.  I'd love just the chassis with no wheel/tires/body/electronics at a lower price.  I'll get one eventually, but waiting on seeing what they offer in the future.

• Like 2

Likewise. I would like to add one to my fleet, but only if it comes with a body appropriate to the the suspension/drivetrain. 

Landy looks nice. Maybe Bronco. FJ40 a bit meh only because too common. :)

Pricewise they're not too bad, T is never going to be cheap.

Rcmart is US$190 vs USD$260 for a CR-01. 

Downunder we're looking at A$350, not cheap by old standards but against current price of a CC01 is A$270 (green unimog) to A$360 (black FJ40) is downright reasonable.

TRX-4 is asking A$820 full set or A$680 for the chassis kit. :blink:

I'm actually ok with the price as far as the kit goes. Its just a bit too expensive if I intend to pitch the body. I'm trying desperately to avoid glancing at the TRX-4 kits, particularly the Sport version which comes perilously close to the CC02's price point. There's a big part of me that just wants to sit down with a totally new, but familiar Tamiya build experience despite the TRX-4's impressive features. Bushings are still irksome, but its Tamiya...

• Like 2

My LHS is sneaky, they stack the TRX4 right next to the blue-n-red-twinstar boxes do I cannot miss them... :( 

Sport is tempting as it'll be nice to build it myself but dammit I want those remote locking diffs!! And that'll be a US$140 (=A$210 at least) upgrade which then adds up dearer than A$820 RTR.

The easy solution is to procrastinate & boycott buying anything :) 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, WillyChang said:

Ha! I've actually done that for some time now. I almost caved and bought a Stampede 4x4 kit but have held off. I've also managed to not buy a runner Bigwig or a CAT xls or even the Avante runner that recently tempted me. The CC02 (and now SMT10 kit) are beginning to weigh on my mind. Then again, I need a new Fender amp and have been drooling over the Loomer pedal for my guitar. And on it goes, lol.

I agree about the TRX-4 though. I want the two speed trans and remote lockers too much to fall for the Sport.

1 hour ago, WillyChang said:

I'm in that camp as well.  I hope Tamiya give us a better body for the CC02 but at this point I'm leaning towards the TRX4 Sport unassembled kit or the new Element Enduro builder kit.

Traxxas protect local distributors from cheaper imports so there's a Traxxas-tax on everything here.  The TRX4 looks to perform really well but upgrades are expensive ($75NZD plus postage for the overdrive).  The Enduro is more of a scale accurate kit and I don't think it's quite as durable.  I should just buy my CR01 a few hop ups instead to scratch the itch.

The TRX-4 Sport kit is amazing value for what you get.  The build itself was one of the best I've ever had the pleasure of assembling.  Not trying to hate on Tamiya, but the TRX-4 isn't much more than a CC-02, and you get portal axles, all metal links, all metal gears, full ball bearings, and stock tires that are really pretty respectable for kit tires.  Little things like blue loctite pre-applied to the appropriate screws really make the build a joy to assemble.  My first TRX-4 was the RTR and I've had nothing break on it in a years worth of use through snow, water, mud, etc.  They're solid.

• Like 2

Oh, I admire the TRX4 a lot, drool at them every time at LHS for past 3yrs :) Just wish Sport kit wasn't missing the good fruit & adding the extras didn't cost so much more than RTR kit. 

RTRs just don't give me warm&fuzzies like looking at something I've assembled myself... even though them factory painters do a much better job than me.

Nuremberg didn't give us another cc02 huh. Oh well.

8 hours ago, WillyChang said:

Nuremberg didn't give us another cc02 huh. Oh well.

Yeah, unfortunately. I will have to be patient. The forthcoming Terra Scorcher and Vaillant 1/12 static kit (I really really want one of these) will definitely help with that.

On 1/30/2020 at 6:55 PM, 78Triumph said:

The TRX-4 Sport kit is amazing value for what you get.  The build itself was one of the best I've ever had the pleasure of assembling.  Not trying to hate on Tamiya, but the TRX-4 isn't much more than a CC-02, and you get portal axles, all metal links, all metal gears, full ball bearings, and stock tires that are really pretty respectable for kit tires.  Little things like blue loctite pre-applied to the appropriate screws really make the build a joy to assemble.  My first TRX-4 was the RTR and I've had nothing break on it in a years worth of use through snow, water, mud, etc.  They're solid.

I agree. I built a trx4 normal version (with 2-speeds gearbox, remote locking diffs). I admired the qualities of the parts. the truck was almost play free / slop free after assembly. it was so robust that only very little number of parts were required to replace / repair after lots of run times.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TongueTied said:

Would a CC01 body fit on the Cc02 chassis? 

it depends on which cc01 chassis you choose. there is only ONE cc02 chassis but there are MANY cc01 chassis' and their wheelbases vary. 

cc02 wheelbase = 267mm
https://www.tamiya.com/english/products/58675/index.htm

you can choose for example this cc01, with wheelbase = 267mm
https://www.tamiya.com/english/products/58588/index.htm

but if you choose this cc01 it would not work as its wheelbase = 245mm
https://www.tamiya.com/english/products/58602/index.htm

• Like 1

I've just finished building the chassis and I'm currently masking up the body for paint. 

I originally bought the CC02 with the intention of swapping chassis with my JEEP YJ CC01, but it's pretty clear that (without very different parts, at least) those neat hardbodies aren't going to fit the CC02. 

I thought the build felt very unfamiliar for Tamiya. Lots of glue steps (for captive nuts). Most of this I skipped, but it made assembly a bit of a cats cradle affair :lol: "Quirky" I believe is the polite term. 

I'm glad I geared mine for 'regular' speed on the gearbox rather than low-geared. I had a 35T motor and wasn't sure about the speed, it turned out to run at fast walking pace absolutely flat-out. I'm not sure you would want to be going too fast with this thing (certainly not to the degree I've seen some friends' TRX4 running with).

The wheelbase is adjustable during construction but bizarrely the Mercedes instruction manual does not illustrate how this is achieved exactly (rather than the familiar chassis instruction booklet with separate body instructions, which we have become accustomed to of late). 

I fully expect a Defender model in the pipeline but it's too close to the CC01 release of that. Perhaps a Unimog? Tamiya loves them a Mog!!

• Like 1

I fitted up the defender on my CC02, it wasn’t super straightforward. I had to shorten the driveshafts slightly. I think Tamiya didn’t include instructions to shorten the wheelbase because they need to make a few new parts to do it. The 85mm cr01 shafts certainly won’t work on the short wheelbase Cc02 setting. It’s worth noting there is 95mm cr01 shafts if you want to lengthen the CC02 further. There is also all the shafts off the back of the CC01 that would work too if you where inclined. 

I ended up going with the slow gearing then run 11.1v, this ment I had superior slow crawling but without losing top speed gained back with the extra voltage. 

the biggest problem with the CC02 for crawling is that it’s very light, this does however mean that for faster moving projects the unsprung part of the suspension is light weight enough to work very well in rougher high speed stuff. I think a lot of work went into making the CC02 great off road in general and able to tackle many tasks. 

As a dedicated crawler, wheel weights and some other weight down low are needed, but I guess if they made it purely a crawler you’d lose a lot of those scale project possibility’s. I think the thing with tamiyas is they are great for custom projects and the CC02 is no exception. 

• Like 3

Well, its been about 8 months since I posted this and still no different-bodied CC02 kits. If I can get this Madcap I have sold, I might just have to break down and accept the Benz version. I haven't seen a ton of action about this chassis, probably because Tamiya was late to the game and there are a number of other players on the field. But its a Tamiya, which means I probably won't look elsewhere. For those that want a new body CC02, I'll say "your welcome" in advance. If my luck holds, Tamiya will introduce a new body version about two weeks after I buy the Benz version.;)

46 minutes ago, Saito2 said:

Well, its been about 8 months since I posted this and still no different-bodied CC02 kits. If I can get this Madcap I have sold, I might just have to break down and accept the Benz version. I haven't seen a ton of action about this chassis, probably because Tamiya was late to the game and there are a number of other players on the field. But its a Tamiya, which means I probably won't look elsewhere. For those that want a new body CC02, I'll say "your welcome" in advance. If my luck holds, Tamiya will introduce a new body version about two weeks after I buy the Benz version.;)

I'll say Thanks in advance. I hope you make that purchase soon, I can't wait to get an FJ-40 version with a nice box-art for display.

• Like 2

I've been fighting with that myself..... The CC-02 IS intriguing, but it's light, small and well.... TOO Tamiya! It was ambitious of them to FINALLY release a steel Rail Chassis.

It looks good. But it's a Hybrid Chassis with Plastic ends. My biggest issue, as a semi Pro Crawler, is the 4-Link Front Axle WITH Chassis Mounted Servo. 😲 MAJOR bump steer!!! 

On the other hand, it does look like a better alternative to the CC-01, that I spent 3X the value of it just trying to get the STEERING to work properly!!!  I still want one. 

I would sell the Body, and put my Landfreeder Body on it! I put a lot of work into that too... 1516280177_CC-0101.thumb.jpg.323f02f5e6a635cae88ba45bc5d4c8de.jpg

• Like 3