Sign in to follow this  
Novamadcars

Home made carbon fibre chassis?

So anyone on here made there own carbon fibre chassis plate out of sheet carbon fibre? 

I’m looking in to giving it a go with a kyosho mantis chassis plate anyone have any tips on what’s the best sheet carbon? Cutting techniques ect.

There are various projects.

Latest one handmade is this Dyna Lighning project:

I have converted my Dyna Blaster and Dyna Storm to carbon chassis, but I have a mate doing it on the CNC cutter. I dont like the carbon dust, its absolute poison for your lungs. Also I have no patiens for this kind of work :lol:

Basicly I use 3mm for the lower chassis and 1.5mm for the rest. Sometimes I do the damper stay 2mm in case of the heavier Dyna Blaster. Buy some plain carbon sheets in good quality and its fine. There are differend woven sheets such as twill, honeycomb, ect. Also with coloured strings inside for some special look. I dont use glossy ones because after sanding and sealing edges (with cyano-glue) I sand them again, so they become matt anyways.

Looking forward to see what you are going to do! 

• Thanks 1

I've found cutting carbon fibre plate to be the easy part, a dremel makes light work of it.  The challenge is getting the holes perfect.  I've played around with it to make shock towers but I would want some kind of CNC mill to do the holes.  I just bought the plate from Banggood I think, but Aliexpress have it, Amazon etc.

When you say the Kyosho Mantis, is that the rwd touring car with little springs and no dampers and the 2 plates, forward and back?  They look to be pretty straightforward to do, but how are you planning on attaching the middle section which has the screws in from the side? 

No it’s a fwd car and the centre aluminium chassis plate is flat with no screw holes in the side same chassis as the mini mantis I have for sale on the forum.

39 minutes ago, Novamadcars said:

4AA35836-43D5-4116-9B2D-14782CAF5875.jpeg

Meeeehh.. Nitro and Carbone is no good idear. You need the aluminum as a cooling element. Leave it and be happy. I had the same in my mind for the TR-15T but after talking with some experts I dropped the Idear. I know there are some aftermarket carbon chassis for nitro RCs but I think its just for busines and not for progress. Sorry to tell you but thats how it is. :unsure:

I've made some parts including a top deck from 2mm and 3mm cf boards.

You can check my project builds here:

and

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Novamadcars said:

Thanks for the heads up but if I do end up giving it ago once done the car will only be on display anyway.

Therefor you can get static models :lol:

• Haha 1