rjoseph244510

Help - Receiver blew up!

Hi guys

I just purchased an old Manta Ray which I’m trying to get up and running.

I’m a compete newbie to RC so a lot of what I have been doing has been trial and error. I somehow managed to complete my first kit (Egress) and got it up and running. 

However, I did something drastically wrong today as I seemed to had fried my Absima R3FS receiver when trying to connect the electrics and pair with my transmitter.

What appears to have thrown me is that the wiring on this Manta Ray is different to the Egress. On my Manta ray the servo has three wires (red, yellow & black) combined into one connector. This connector then fits nicely into the three pronged receiver – straight forward enough. However, there are only two wires (red & black) that combine into one connected from the speed controller.

What I did was place the binding cable in the binding port at the top of the receiver. I then placed the speed controller connector in CH3 port, to the right, underneath. I then switched on the power and pow! Smoke! I’m now scared to try anything.

As I say I’m a complete novice so I know that I’m doing something drastically wrong. I have included some pictures to illustrate my setup.

Any help or advice would be fully appreciated.

Best regards

Rod

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

At first glance the 2 lead plug is the wrong way round , the receiver shows an illustration of signal / +ve / -ve , you've plugged in the opposite way round so it is neg to pos and pos to neg and it's plugged into a channel rather than a battery terminal  . I don't use 2.4G but usually with an MSC you would plug into a battery terminal on the receiver (27MHZ or similar) . With modern radio an ESC is used and plugged in to ch1 or 2 - whichever is the 'throttle' channel on the receiver which then supplies the power to the receiver on that channel .Not sure if that receiver is compatible with a manual speed controller , it may well be as it is supplied with power from the BEC lead . Someone will answer that pretty soon I guess .

Hi Kev

Thank you so much for getting back to me. I really appreciate it!

Omg, yes it seems I did have the connector plugged in the wrong way around! Ok, if I attempt this again i need to know where I should put the MSC connector.

So, I have the option of CH3, CH2 and CH1. On my Egress the ESC is in CH2 while the servo is is CH1. I'm not sure if this helps?

Regards

Rod

Channel 1 or 2 should be ok , it would just respond with the trigger or wheel on your controller - throttle would be with the trigger so if that is right , fine ,  if not reverse the channel position . If the trans and receiver are the same as your Egress then use CH2

Hi Kev

Thank you so so much. I have managed to get it working, well partially anyway. I have steering but it looks like I'm missing the servo that actually controls the speed controller. I just hope that once i source a servo I can connect it up

Best regards

Rod

Ah , just assumed you had the MSC servo there . Swap the steering servo to the other receiver channel ( 1 or 2 ) to check that it works from the throttle trigger on the controller then the receiver should be good to go .

No problem . Most servos are the same colour coded wires as yours , just avoid using a really old servo as the wiring could be wrong for your receiver  . A new modern servo is easy to come by for your vintage Manta Ray