Hobgoblin

Harry's Things (Falcon, DF01, Blitzer parts)

Nice , i will give that a go and print it . Great job and thanks 

• Like 1

Thanks @matman

I will be uploading a file later with the hole for the set button, I forgot about it as my unit was second hand and didn't have one. 

Harry

• Like 1

Thanks guys!

Files are updated, and 3 &5mm spacers are uploaded too! just in case you need them.

H

• Like 1

Hi,

nice to see another enthusiast working on a Falcon. I just started on mine. Also created a 3d print of a wheel that worked out quite nice as a first attempt. Next mandatory step for me is fixing the steering. So if  you have any suggestions or tips on that, please let me know :)

• Like 2

Great stuff! I admit I was working on a some wheels before I found you could get re released GH2/striker ones that are the same just in white!

I may need to revisit it, could have some funky looking wheels!

Yes steering is a bit of a bug bear for me, purely because it's pretty awful. I've been going through an odd bell crank steering phase at the moment, See my FXT and Boomerang setups. Very caveman basic geometry at the moment but it's helping a lot with the immediate bump steer. I was sort of planning to do something for the blitzers, which would fit the Falcon as well, being the same tub chassis etc. I was sort of thinking you could mount the servo up on the MSC mount and use a pushrod down to some cranks without too much difficulty. No chopping of the holes either!

FGrvEVF.jpg?1

WtL9Yrg.png?1

My current bit of falconry (lol) involves some cheap and cheerful front suspension which will be stiff and more resistant to shattering than the stock. Here's where I'm at

u87yThf.png?1
Race ready Falcon! 

• Like 3

That steering is quite a radical change :) Not sure if I already need that, but who knows. once i get the hang of it again, i might just go for additions like these. For now I was thinking of keeping it a bit closer to original.

I guess some decent ball-joints at both ends might already do a better job?

(for a picture of my first attempt on the rim see my other thread. Seeing that the rim actually worked, i can now change the outside diamater to accomodate for different Tyres.
Anyone has suggestions for modern road and/or offroad tyres with some decent grip? 

• Like 1

So, nicely linking in with where this topic left off I have been playing around with the Falcon steering - result of a half day at work and a fresh roll of filament.

RnB5v9d.jpg?1

What the heck is that? That is my first iteration of a steering system for the falcon. Just hashing out rough geometry now but it seems to fit quite well as a first go. It runs on 3mm ball bearings and nylon plain bushings

HsT1ddw.jpg?1

The same nylon bushes are also used as clearance spacers for the top of the mechanism. 

0OywCYb.jpg?1

Need to drill a few holes in the chassis for it but it looks like it fits fairly well!

7CAcE7v.jpg?1

Okay seriously what the heck is this? This is an absolute pointless foray into aesthetics. I am using the MSC mount to hold what is now the steering servo but I want to keep the look of the MSC as they're pretty fitting for these old cars. I have made myself a weird mirror copy of the end cap of the servo with some fake solid features of the face. Hopefully the pictures explain. 

mt3EXh7.jpg?1

GlCZeI1.jpg?1

Obviously it wouldn't be white for the finished article but I think that could actually work well in a roundabout way. A bit sad I know to go through all this effort for a look but it's making me happy and it's a fairly nice fitting part which is satisfying. 

• Like 3

gKIgLgM.jpg?1

Seems to work really well so far - I have had to tweak two parts and it's great. I have chopped the chassis tub and added some strengthening bars for added rigidity for the front bulkhead.  If you see in this picture, the bulkhead butts up against the top support plate of my steering linkage. For the sake of simplicity and ease I have scrapped that plate and incorporated it into the bulkhead design.

39kftfa.png?2

I will be overnighting this (In daring yellow HIPS) in the hope of test fitting tomorrow.

• Like 4

I am rather smashing it out at the moment!

aHoWaW3.jpg?1

3LJZuJG.jpg?1

Bulkhead is an absolute success - it does look a bit 90's McDonalds though :lol:

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Hobgoblin said:

it does look a bit 90's McDonalds though :lol:

:lol:  - Fantastic stuff H

Like the McDonalds theme ;)

I'm looking for the Front shock tower, do you have a file of that one as well? 

On 18 July 2020 at 12:35 AM, Hobgoblin said:

Nice , is that for both sides ?. Or just right side only ? . 

Nice proflie on Thingiverse , I'm still trying to learn to make/draw .

Not working out to well ha , i have been 3d printing for 3 year or so .

Nice of you not hiding things and claming up and saying work it out your self lol .

Like most do . 

Good on ya AND thanks .

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Everyone has the right to do what they like with their own work, some like to keep their cards close to their chest or charge for their work and that's completely fine. I worry sometimes about undermining other creators but I figure in the narrow field of toy cars I don't think it's going to be a particularly heated issue. 

Having stuff freely available has caused me a couple of problems with people selling my files, the DF01 arms specifically on eBay (for £15!!) But after a little back and forth and some mild verbal abuse from the seller the listing went down and I changed the attribution on my parts from the default so there's a bit more protection if it happens again. 

Because I'm intensely lazy, I tend to draw the one and mirror it in my slicing software. I will upload LH & RH models soon but I'm fairly slammed - give me a couple days.

• Like 1

Ok , Yes there is that . Of people taking avantage of your hard work and selling it . That's not good .

Yes , I have done that once , doing the mirror on slicing software . But didn't what to do the wrong thing by you .

So thanks Hobgolin for your time . Take your time m8 . All good Thanks . 

What 3D printer you using ? . 

@matman

Pulled my finger out and sorted the uploaded files and filled in the fluff text description. Do let me know how you get on if you do print anything of mine, even if negative I'd like to hear it. 

Also somebody apparently tried to tip me on one of my robot parts and the DF01 battery braces but I didn't have paypal linked so it didn't go through. 100% don't encourage donations but now that option is there. 

I use a zortrax m200 with occasional use on a m300 when I need to print big stuff. They are absolute workhorse machines. I used to live eat and sleep with the m200 at my old job. It pumped out bits for pipe exploration robots and other remote vehicles, sensor housings and prototype equipment housings. It just sort of followed me home when the place went under.

gn9qkof.jpg?1

Not too far away from 4000 hours and it's still going strong, even if it's a bit Heath Robinson now! 

Always happy to print for TC people if ever needed. More than happy to design too. I just need a dimensioned drawing or the part itself (even if broken) 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Hobgoblin said:

@matman

Not too far away from 4000 hours and it's still going strong, even if it's a bit Heath Robinson now! 

Always happy to print for TC people if ever needed. More than happy to design too. I just need a dimensioned drawing or the part itself (even if broken) 

Must be a great printer to do that much hours WOW .

I started of with a CTC < not the best . But it did get me started and learnt alot .

Now i have the Flashforge Inventer ( duel extruder )  Works well .

I'm still learning , as you do :lol: .  

I will Print your parts when i get home , as i'm still stuck in NZ . Aus has closed and no flights in .

My flights got cancelled , as i was heading to the airport GRR ..

So i'm here for another month or so , no rc or 3D printing for me :( .

But when i do get back , i will let ya know how i got on . 

Oh , I had printed the TBLE-02 holder B4 i left , turned out great . I need to change some settings on printer 

and it would come out better ( had it too hot , ends melted etc ) . Or i need to turn on fan to cool it .

Thanks Hobgoblin

image.jpeg

• Like 1