ALEXKYRIAK

The Insanity of the RC Rabbit-Hole

Ok, so I’m almost too embarrassed to ask this  but what the heck....

A friend of mine* got an old car from a well known auction site, and is half way through stripping it down and doing it up. A new replica body shell is already ordered as are some minor other hop ups. 

However, he is also considering some key replacement parts from a new re-re car that is not the same model as the vintage car, but is a family-related higher spec car that has many parts that are interchangeable, as the original vintage car has no parts available and no direct re-re version available.

The considerations start sensibly enough, just with an absolutely required drive train upgrade. However to get that upgrade, it transpires it actually costs quite a bit when he considered a few of the associated parts and parts bags that need to come with it to install the drivetrain.

This collection of parts comes to well over half the cost of a the re-re version of the car kit  in question.... the seller of the parts has clearly just split up a kit and is charging exorbitant prices for the parts and parts bags. 

So now my friend is considering just buying the new re-re kit of the family related re-re to take those parts, with the big idea to sell off the remaining parts, which would hopefully make the whole endeavour a bit cheaper....

except now he’s thinking that he could just build the entire new car, and just mount the replica body shell of the vintage car onto it..... particularly because then this would give him a bunch of other ‘upgrades’ that came with the higher spec version of the same family of said car.... :blink:

but this would then defeat the point of restoring the original.... !!!! He still needs the drive train upgrade...

So apparently, in total he’s gone and bought the new re-re kit, in addition to the original old vintage car that started this whole process off in the first place, and a few upgrades and a body for said vintage car... crazy guy.

So now he’s thinking perhaps just build the new re-re, stick the replica vintage shell on it... and then get the old vintage car up and running again  but with perhaps just a few new parts....... but this would best be achieved again just by buying the re-re kit as when he considers just the exorbitant parts as sold individually by scrupulous kit dismantles...... so perhaps just get the new re-re kit and sell off the remaining parts.... 

aaarrrgghhhh...! Where does it all stop? Ad Infinitum :wacko:

what should I... I mean, what should my friend*, do....? Where does it all stop? It’s kind of like a grotesque reversal of Trigger’s Broom / Ship of Theseus..... 

Has anyone else faced this sort of agonising conundrum with cars, upgrades, hop ups, running versions vs shelf versions vs NIB box versions, etc...? 

Let my friend hear your stories so he can not feel so bad about all of this! :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Wouldn t happen to be a schumacher would it ???? Or seems to happen to me more when vintage schumachers are involved though kyosho are not bad either. 

bah, I say encourage away, makes me look more normal :D

buying individual parts adds up really quickly, so buying a re-re kit is a good option, but I've not gone down the path as I'd just build the re-re kit :huh:

I have on the odd occasion found a partial kit, usually less body and wheels, that has been a good balance in pricing.

However, I tend to wait and buy junk lots and built up parts, I've done that with a few now..

I will confess I do now have lots of projects that I'll probably never get too, but that's another story :rolleyes:

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, waterbok said:

Sounds like an Astute case to me.

definitely a wild one alright

OP & his friend could join a knitting circle instead. 

The friend obviously needs to buy a second re-re to strip for parts. Then he can have the restored vintage car for shelf duties. 

Surely he'll make some money back selling on the unused parts?

Or keep them as spares? 

Or put towards some custom creation?

• Like 2

Your friend's* insanity doesn't match my friend's* insanity, but it sounds like they both belong in an asylum...  :D

• Haha 2

Wait until your friend starts to forget what all the cars and parts were for.  My friend* only vaguely remembers.  Bronco body goes with TLT-1, I think (I mean he thinks).  Was the Honda S800 shell for M05? or was it M07?  Did he have enough parts for 1 FAV or 2 FAVs?  Did he buy a Lancia Stratos shell or did he dream it?  Ah, it was Fiat Abarth 1000... but for which chassis?  Maybe he thought he should get another M06 chassis, but I forgot (I mean he forgot).  

• Haha 3

I would NEVER do this. I mean it's like, I would never buy enough new parts to be able to restore an old buggy that would end up costing as much or more that a re-re of that same buggy.......I would never do that...ahem!

• Haha 6

22 hours ago, t3garett said:

Wouldn t happen to be a schumacher would it ???? 

We could all play ‘guess the car’ my friend is working with ..... could be one of several contenders....!

18 hours ago, Juggular said:

Wait until your friend starts to forget what all the cars and parts were for. 

He already does that....  

He’s apparently going to build at least two cars out of this, and he’s vowed never again to buy a cheap little vintage restoration project from the internet, on account of it being financially ruinous!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1