2 minutes ago, PimpedMobility said:

As the title says has anyone done a lowered F350 like this picture? How would be the best way?

img_FiIR2OB5Xw.jpg.42a9e903bbf48ddfc40dc93da449f953.jpg

Umm... start with a TT01/2, not a HighLift? :D 

I think @WillyChang means, get a high lift body and fit it to an on road chassis. You will nee to check whether the wheelbase natvhs though. I can't imagine a 3spd chassis would work as all at that ride height. The wheelbase on road chassis is 257, but the high lift body is 290 so you would be into some custom chassis stuff. 

You could bolting the axles above the leaf springs rather than below, although I imagine would introduce all sorts of clearance issues to be resolved. 

Yep.

With just a whole HighLift kit... you won't be able to slam the body so low... it got big chunky diffs & a ladder chassis... even of you directly bolted the axles to the chassis  you'd be needing to cut a big sunroof and the HighLift motor & gearbox will be sticking out top. :) 

You're best start with a touringcar chassis, much lower profile.

F350/Clod/Bruiser body is longer than std touring car (257-260mm vs 285-290mm).  You can do some styrene surgery (at the bed easiest) to lose that inch. Or settle for a std length touring size truck body... back when I hung around the drift crew, the StreetJam Hilux was highly sought after - everybody slammed it low.

Simpler shaftdrive cars like TT01 could be cut & rejoined an inch longer too. ;) Or buy a Yokomo pro drift chassis like DiB LongWheelbase which should be around 290mm. The yok suspension also gives lots of opportunity to crank in "demon camber" to tuck under a ~200mm wide bodyshell. 

Might be doable with a ta02 type chassis which doeant relly on a tub as part of the gear boxes. You could make a custom top and bottom carbon chassis plate and a bespoke drive shaft out of a piece of steel bar with some flats dremmelled on the ends.

I bought some custom ta02 carbon plates off of a german guy on ebay to correct the wheelbase issue on the porsche 934.

He will make them however long you want - hes super helpful if you email him.

Or you can play mix & match with TA01/02 parts :) 

Start with a TA01 tub (longer than TA02 tub) and bolt on rear touring arms from TA02 (which don't sweep forwards like TA01 arms). 

That should get wheelbase up to ~280mm at a wild guess.

If you own a Hi-lift, 4 link the truck and get short dampers, that would give you the ability to lower it a lot😁

One of my sponsors for my pimped mobility scooter project can cut me a custom chassis, so which kit has the flattest chassis so I could just get a extended chassis and mount the rest to it

5 hours ago, PimpedMobility said:

One of my sponsors for my pimped mobility scooter project can cut me a custom chassis, so which kit has the flattest chassis so I could just get a extended chassis and mount the rest to it

Here's all the manuals for every chassis... https://www.tamiya.com/english/rc/manuals.htm

1 hour ago, PimpedMobility said:

Don't see why not :) 

Those "tributes to TT01" come about when China companies start copying parts into alloy and carbon plate to sell as hopups. Before long somebody realises they've copied every part already and there's enough to build a full car. :P 

The "good" thing with that type of car is (vs a totally generic RC chassis), if your fake gears etc don't drive smooth, you've got the option of buying original parts & hopefully they'll drop in fit.

Nobodys copied the F350 body yet afaik. The old Hilux/Bruiser otoh, there's the RC4WD Mohave & the China Bruiser clone for body donors. Look on fleaBay and there's generic hard bodies of Jeep Wrangler, Landrover 110 etc

These days with the growing scale crawler crowd we're blessed with many other hard bodies available, some done in low volume with eyewatering prices... but they're pieces of art. Anything in particular you're after?

A friend used to have a pickup similar to the video above. So I wanted to get a kit with a flat chassis so I can send it to my plastic supplier to have an extended one cut

4 minutes ago, PimpedMobility said:

A friend used to have a pickup similar to the video above. 

yeah, which truck exactly? :) burgundy truck in pic is GMC not even a Furd nor F350 is it?

Got a local friend here who loves Escalades and GMC Denalis... geez all are HUGE the 'Laid is like a loungeroom on wheels. The Denali has the neatest flatbed too... could open the hatch in the back and the bed would extend into the dualcab for longer cargo.

btw I'm downunder in Australia, we drive on the Correct :P side of the road here so these Yankee yachts need to be converted to RHD. By the time you do conversion and compliance they're about triple the price, so he's looking at A$200-250k. And our petrol is A$1.50+/litre (=a buck US$) so his fetish don't come cheap.

I think if you want it that low/slammed, then yes, the easiest way is probably some sort of touring car chassis, and then chop the body shell/arches to fit the wheelbase as required - as WillyChang suggests.

However, you could easily consider the older TL-01 chassis (pretty much fixed at 257mm wheelbase without some work) or even the MF-01X chassis and add a bunch of spacers to adjust the wheelbase closer to the original shell -  that way you'd have a reasonably narrow track width to tuck the wheels under the arches, and the ability to adjust the overall ride height by simply using a mix of different shocks and body mount posts?

Sounds like a fun project!

Jenny x

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, JennyMo said:

I think if you want it that low/slammed, then yes, the easiest way is probably some sort of touring car chassis, and then chop the body shell/arches to fit the wheelbase as required - as WillyChang suggests.

However, you could easily consider the older TL-01 chassis (pretty much fixed at 257mm wheelbase without some work) or even the MF-01X chassis and add a bunch of spacers to adjust the wheelbase closer to the original shell -  that way you'd have a reasonably narrow track width to tuck the wheels under the arches, and the ability to adjust the overall ride height by simply using a mix of different shocks and body mount posts?

Sounds like a fun project!

Jenny x

Think I've decided on a TA02 chassis then get a custom lower deck made. Plenty of hopups for that chassis too

• Like 1

Jenny is our resident styrene bodymodding guru! :) (I can barely getaway with building LEGO :( ) 

Buy the body first, then measure.

btw if your heart is fully set on F350... be aware that Highlift's F350 is recycled from earlier Juggernaut's F350 body. T really hacked out the wheelarches to clear those huge Rock Cruiser M/T tyres. 

The Jugg's F350 body is more scale looking over a 2" touringcar wheel. (search for pic of Shodog's blue Jugg on Old small wheel Hilux chassis... JuggLux) But of course the Jugg1&2 are long discontinued 20+ yrs, it wasn't a cheap kit & suffered bad reputation from weak original drivetrain so they sold in very limited quantities. 

Alternatively to fill out those huge arches, FYI about 8yrs ago there was a brief fad amongst drift community for Oversized 2.2" wheels (& tyres), high on the Bling scale*... you might still find some unsold stock of those around today. Speedline is the brand I've heard, maybe MST too.

*drifters are Rebels. They like either total bling, or drab rusty steel wheels. Everyone just wanna be uniquely different... but just like one another... <_<:blink::lol:

18 hours ago, JennyMo said:

I think I've got a plan. A company has also offered to send me a full air bag system to see if I can get it to work on a 1/10 car

34 minutes ago, PimpedMobility said:

A company has also offered to send me a full air bag system to see if I can get it to work on a 1/10 car

...dare I ask what size car it's supposed to work on..?  :p 

Oh cool - the 1:14 trucks are almost identical track width to 1:10 touring, so should fit quite nicely.  In fact a 1:10 truck chassis would be a good donor for this sort of build if you wanted RWD solid axle and were happy with an undriven solid front and a small planetary gearbox instead of the Tamiya 3-speed.  A driven front axle might be possible with some clever mounting of the transfer box.  I was thinking a heavily-modded CC01 could work well also.  But the TA02 is also a neat donor - will be interesting to see what you come up with :)