rjoseph244510

Soldering required?

Hi guys

I am very much a newbie to this hobby so please excuse the questions.

Basically, I purchased a cheap brushless blue can motor. However, when it arrived it had none of the usual three wires attached to it (orange, yellow and blue). Is there some sort of connector I can buy or is soldering required? If soldering is required then can anyone recommend a cheap soldering kit for a beginner like me? Also, what colour wires would give with A B or C connections? Apologies if these are really silly questions. I haven't a clue!

I have attached a photo of the motor with this post. Any help would be fully appreciated.

Best regards

Rod

bluecan.jpg

I've bought a similar motor, I found soldering tricky to start with but with YouTube and a bit of practise I'm getting better. I bought red, blue and black cable, bullet connectors and shrink wrap from modelsport. They were really helpful when I emailed them and they recommended the right parts

I bought a cheap soldering iron off of amazon which does the job. I'd recommend getting a good quality solder as the solder that comes with kits is normally not great quality 

I'd also recommend getting a small tin of resin flux. The flux in flux-cored solder is adequate in a pinch, but applying flux separately to the wires and terminals makes soldering much easier as the solder then adheres almost instantly.

Buy proper oldskool 60:40 LEAD:TIN solder if you can, it's much easier to work with.

Leadfree stuff is a pain in the butt, needs much higher temps and seems to dry joint a lot more often. Hate it, whenever I need to work on parts already soldered I'll sucker it off & retin with good lead solder.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

13 hours ago, WillyChang said:

Buy proper oldskool 60:40 LEAD:TIN solder if you can, it's much easier to work with.

If you give this kind of advice, you should also mention that lead is the reason why roman empire failed. In compare to poor people they had cups and dishes mad of lead and even their wine was stored in vessels containing lead. So in fact they became mental because of poisoning themself with... Lead! So the upper class freaked out while common people, which used dishes and cups made of wood or clay just lived their life. Funny side fact, isnt it?!

@rjoseph244510 If you are new with soldering, you might ask a friend who is more experienced. Those connertors and cables really need a good load of heat to get soldered propperly. With a poor solder iron, its pure pain. And if you can avoid, dont go back to lead containing solder-wire. Or use at least a ventilation to not breath the vapours.

Hi guys

Unfortunately, I can't seem to find the wires in order to buy them. What do I search for? Any ideas would be fully appreciated.

Best regards

Rod

14 minutes ago, rjoseph244510 said:

Hi guys

Unfortunately, I can't seem to find the wires in order to buy them. What do I search for? Any ideas would be fully appreciated.

Best regards

Rod

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/etronix-14-awg-silicone-wire-blue-100cm-/rc-car-products/412888

this is the link for the cable, obviously you need the same stuff in red and black 

1 hour ago, rjoseph244510 said:

Hi guys

Best regards

Rod

What speed controller are you using and what car is it going in? Often you'll find that the speed controller comes with wires long enough to reach the motor, so you can solder them straight on without any connectors or extensions. Typically only cars with motors way out front or out back need wire extensions. I only need them on my FF-01 and FF-03. Even my DT chassis with their rear-mounted motors have no issues with cable length.

7 minutes ago, TurnipJF said:

What speed controller are you using and what car is it going in? Often you'll find that the speed controller comes with wires long enough to reach the motor, so you can solder them straight on without any connectors or extensions. Typically only cars with motors way out front or out back need wire extensions. I only need them on my FF-01 and FF-03. Even my DT chassis with their rear-mounted motors have no issues with cable length.

Hi TurnipJF

My ESC is a Tamiya TBLE 02S. I don;t really want to permanently connect the ESC to the motor as I may was to swap the motor with other I have from time to time.

Regard

Rod

9 minutes ago, rjoseph244510 said:

Hi TurnipJF

My ESC is a Tamiya TBLE 02S. I don;t really want to permanently connect the ESC to the motor as I may was to swap the motor with other I have from time to time.

Regard

Rod

In that case, I'd recommend these:

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/dynamite-gold-bullet-connector-set-3-5mm-3-/rc-car-products/387456

Most motors come with tabs to solder wires to, but some, such as those from Speed Passion for example, come with built-in 3.5mm male bullet connectors, so if you set your ESC up with female ones, you can connect it to such motors with no further soldering required.

The connectors that come pre-fitted to the TBLE-02 aren't all that good - you'll get better performance if you just cut them off and use bullets instead.

Another point of concern - I see the motor pictured in your original post is a 8.5 turn one. You do realise that this is way outside the abilities of the TBLE-02? Or is the picture just an example, and your motor is 13.5 turns or higher?

43 minutes ago, rjoseph244510 said:

Thanks Aerobert. Do you know if they'll they fit the Tamiya TBLE 02S ESC?

It is no direct fit. But as you have to solder anyway you could just cut the connectors from the ESC and solder the ones from the set.

16 hours ago, TurnipJF said:

In that case, I'd recommend these:

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/dynamite-gold-bullet-connector-set-3-5mm-3-/rc-car-products/387456

Most motors come with tabs to solder wires to, but some, such as those from Speed Passion for example, come with built-in 3.5mm male bullet connectors, so if you set your ESC up with female ones, you can connect it to such motors with no further soldering required.

The connectors that come pre-fitted to the TBLE-02 aren't all that good - you'll get better performance if you just cut them off and use bullets instead.

Another point of concern - I see the motor pictured in your original post is a 8.5 turn one. You do realise that this is way outside the abilities of the TBLE-02? Or is the picture just an example, and your motor is 13.5 turns or higher?

Thanks again TurnipJF!

PS: Sorry the motor picture I posted was just a reference to a wireless motor that has the same ABC connection points that I have on my motor.

16 hours ago, Aerobert said:

It is no direct fit. But as you have to solder anyway you could just cut the connectors from the ESC and solder the ones from the set.

Thanks!

How did this work out for you?. I have a Soldering set now and but i have not gone brushless as for today but one day i know my new Top-force will end up with it (i to have a ready Tamiya esc for it). I am also new to soldering (execpt from me messing around as a kid but that do not count as Soldering).

I think the best way would be to melt tin on the wire, it will get stiff i seconds, then hold the wire where you want to solder and melt it carefully, as fast ast it melt move the solder iron away and keep it still. i THINK that is the way to go as i seen som clip on youtube etc but i have not tried myself, which is the reason for me to ask how it went for you ...

Yep. Put lead on both, connector and cable. after meltthem together. If you are king, add a bit of lead while melting. Dont move cable and connector until cooling down. Hot fingers guarantee. Happy soldering.