Sign in to follow this  
lowspot

58009 Toyota Celica Turbo - Can Am LOLA wheels

Hi everyone. I have scored a CS chassis for my new( old) Toyota Celica Turbo body kit. It's a wild mixture of CS and non CS parts but it's complete and it was a steal.

It has Datsun 280 ZX / Can Am LOLA wheels (the red ones) at the front and as the rear tyres are looking really bad I thought of using the Can AM LOLA tires all around. Does anyone have such a rear tyre/wheel or a whole car and could make a picture of the mounting point? I have doubts that the rims mounting points have the same dimensions than the original ones from the CS chassis but maybe I'm wrong. Can anyone help?

Many thanks in advance !

Cheers ALex

Front wheels are ok, they're just twin 1150 bearings.

But Lola rear axle debuts a "D" shaped hub; the older cars have a hex hub don't they?

Dunno how wild of a mongrel Celica you've got there, but it'll be hard trying to graft on D hub onto the CS diff. (the Lola has its own unique big fat barrel of a sealed diff)

If you haven't got CS diff & it's got fixed axle of 5mm diameter... maybe D hub (from left side of Lola axle) can bolt onto that. 

fyi the 5185 Buggy Sponge Tyre set uses the exact same Lola red rear wheel plus they supply D-hub adapters to suit SRB!! 

They don't resell for much... https://www.ebay.com/itm/Tamiya-Buggy-Sponge-Tyre-Set-Rear-5185-/271366634375 (not compared to other wheel sets of the era)

Tamiya-50185-Buggy-Champ-Sand-Scorcher-S

I don't remember if those D-hubs are permanently pressed/bonded to the SRB halfshaft or just secured with setscrew. 

• Like 1

btw if existing wheels are unbroken you can easily true them down and mount some fresh generic foam donuts, most 1/12 tyres should fit. 

There's also the RM-01 released in the recent decade; I'm told it's front wheels & tyres should fit the old axles. Not sure about rear wheels; sparepart tyre donuts for that are plenty around. 

No such luck with modern equivalent to Duplo tyres though. 

• Like 1

WOW, that's very helpful. It has the original CS rear axle and wheels and it doesn't fit at all. But thanks for your help ! 

1 minute ago, WillyChang said:

btw if existing wheels are unbroken you can easily true them down and mount some fresh generic foam donuts, most 1/12 tyres should fit. 

There's also the RM-01 released in the recent decade; I'm told it's front wheels & tyres should fit the old axles. Not sure about rear wheels; sparepart tyre donuts for that are plenty around. 

No such luck with modern equivalent to Duplo tyres though. 

The RM rims are the ugliest set of wheels ever :-) I think I just buy new foams and paint the red LOLA wheels in black.

yeah it's too far off

If one has an unlimited boneyard of parts... putting whole Lola rear axle on would be neatest way. But the you odd probably need to transfer the whole rear pod to suit, the CS chassis probably be too narrow to site the RM pod... :( 

nah ah there's easier ways to re tyre 

3 minutes ago, lowspot said:

The RM rims are the ugliest set of wheels ever :-) I think I just buy new foams and paint the red LOLA wheels in black.

especially on that SRB SuperChamp!! :P (Jeez that designer must've been blind!! There were no red fronts to match. And if T just wanted a foam wheel to reuse, why not any of the grey/white wheels from the earlier F1 CSes?!) 

But IMHO they look great as a full set on RM Mk1 & Mk2, nice clean cone look very unique compared to the multi spoke or dished wheels that other companies drew back in the day. The Lola is an iconic T design like AVante. 

Not sure how well that red will paint though. Red plastic is waxy and quite flexible; yet the wheel is reasonably stiff due to the cone design & bracing. I've never managed to crack any red wheel all these years. 

The red does fade slightly after decades of UV exposure.

Haven't seen anybody dye them yet. 

They are looking awesome in black on my Rothmans 956 but that's the only exception :-D I would love to have a different design at the front. I'm thinking of using Kyosho wheels. Let's face it, no one is running a 58009 including me, it will only be displayed. Eventually a few slow circles in my living room. I have also thought of modified GT-01 wheels. The BBS Porsche ones in chrome/gold but the front ones don't fit. . . aahrrgggg !

2 hours ago, lowspot said:

Let's face it, no one is running a 58009 including me,

don't be so sure on that :D I have run my Renault Martini Mk II (where I used the RM rims) and I have future plats  I'd run any of my vintage cars, including a Celica Turbo and a 58001 whenever I get that finished, albeit gently and on a good surface. I see them like real vintage cars that get taken out on the odd occasion. It's nice to seem them displayed, but I think the odd run now and again is a great thing. 

11 minutes ago, yogi-bear said:

have run my Renault Martini Mk II (where I used the RM rims) 

Do the RM wheels fit at the CS rear as well and more important, do the foams fit the old CS rims?  don't have the CS chassis here yet, still takes a few weeks from Japan. Totally agree that it should be used occasionally but for me it is more the joy of looking at it.

1 minute ago, lowspot said:

Do the RM wheels fit at the CS rear as well?  don't have the CS chassis here yet, still takes a few weeks from Japan.

I suspect it does, but it would be a while before I can check, as all my RC gear is boxed up.

Here is a pic of my Martini Renault with the RM shoes on.

Tamiya-50014-Martini-Mk22-Renault-F2_44.

1 minute ago, lowspot said:

Totally agree that it should be used occasionally but for me it is more the joy of looking at it.

yeah, there is always that element of risk too. Last time I ran the Renault I broke the bottom of the front spoiler off (I didn't have the bumper on and didn't sweep for rocks).

• Thanks 1

At least the front ones fit very well. The rear looks quite close to the center of the car with too less offset but I'll get a set of black ones and find out. 

yeah they should all fit each other, same size hex in wheel if that's your Q.

If you care about stance then the big F1 rear wheel will make your sports car look like a top fuel dragster - front bumper will scrape. Thick F1 foam donut can be trued down; bit harder with F2 rubber tyres. 

Everything on my shelves are mostly ready to run :) but might have trouble digging up a serviceable nicad hump pack though, haven't seen mine for years/decades. 

RM Mk1 is super flexy chassis though, it's best on glass flat surfaces. Anything rougher it'll wobbly like jelly and all that jiggling loses traction. 

The later RMs like 956 have stiffer chassis better for rougher surfaces, same with early Associated 1/12s. Give them fresh foam tyres and they'll perform just like new.

4 hours ago, WillyChang said:

I don't remember if those D-hubs are permanently pressed/bonded to the SRB halfshaft or just secured with setscrew. 

They are permanently mounted to the shaft.

1 hour ago, Mokei Kagaku said:

They are permanently mounted to the shaft.

thanks MK!