Mad Ax

No more shelf space?

Bit of a random musing, this one.

In December I cleared out my studio space.  Above my main desk are two shelves.  They're about 3 metres long - just about long enough to get to big rigs and full-length trailers on end-to end.  The lower shelf is just wide enough for said big rigs; the upper shelf is mounted with a 30 degree slope and is deep enough to get touring cars end-on.  There's a strip of wood along the front of the top shelf, painted grey like a curb stone.  I made some plastic brackets that rest against the curb stone and attach under the chassis of my touring cars to stop them rolling off the shelf.

This is the only shelf / display space I have in my home.  I had planned for the entire far end of the studio to be a display wall, complete with ambient lighting and a reclining chair, but my wife had other ideas and it's now her creative workbench.

Well - part of my clear-out involved removing the shelves to give them a scrub and a re-paint.  They were supposed to be dark grey, like tarmac, and I considered using white tape to add parking lines, and making some scale streetlamps that would shine down on the cars from above, making it look like a scale car park.  The big rig shelf is under the shade of the sloping shelf, kind of like a tunnel, and I'd always intended to add some yellow tunnel lighting under there.  Actually I had a colour-changing LED rope that lit up both shelves pretty well, but can you believe, it had neither yellow nor orange settings, so I never got to test out the scale car park / tunnel look :(

Anyhoo - after removing the shelves, my studio suddenly felt 10 times bigger.  I'd got so used to the big rigs being right above my eyeline and the TCs hanging over me that I hadn't noticed how oppressive it was.  It's been over a month and I haven't missed having my shelves at all.  In fact I'm rediscovering my love for music recently, and thinking about mounting some recording equipment on the wall where the shelves where.

But there is literally nowhere else in my house where I can display my cars.  The workshop is overflowing and way too dusty to display anything.  The dining room is a perpetual dumping ground and badly needs decorating.  There's one spare wall but cars would just look out of place there.  None of the other rooms are suitable, either due to space or current decor.

I have a bunch of cars that I built purely for display.  Mostly they're TT01s with street-style bodies.  I honestly don't know what to do with them since I doubt I'll have anywhere to display them for quite some time, maybe until my toddler and her as-yet un-conceived sibling leave home.  I'm considering lightening the load and forgetting about having any shelf cars at all.

Even a lot of my so-called runners are more shelf than track.  There's very little in the way of open bashes where I live and most of my stuff isn't eligible for racing.  Much of it is home-brew modded and not really worth much on the used market, but worth a lot to me because of the time I put into it.

Who else has gone from having a display collection to just runners?  I've had seller's remorse from selling off cheap what I put a lot of effort into making, but at the same time there doesn't seem much point in keeping stuff that I'm not going to use.

I really fancied getting a black-edition Clod this year (I've never owned or even driven a stock Clod Buster) but I know it'll get very little run-time, so I would be buying yet another shelf car that will spend its entire lifetime in a storage crate...

I last rebuilt my boycave shelving in 2006 & where to display shelfqueens. Had put great thought into what I already had, what I might like to have and allowed 30-50% headroom... only did like a certain few from #1-100, much of which I didn't think I'd have chance to own.

Then T started the re-re program in earnest :o:lol:

Plans of Mice & Men, as they say.

Display shelf is located 3.5m up in our highest cathedral ceiling, about 3' higher than height of std doorframe. It too was imagined as a "two lane highway" of length about 4 Bruiser lengths. Idea was to have all 4 of the 3spds parked in a row on the back lane, shorter cars in front. 

A decade+ on... still haven't scored a Blazer so the 3spds are all still Toyotas. I haven't dusted them for some years; needs the tall ladder to access. And every access invariably does some damage... including once dropping a Bruiser 3m :o ooo that was painful. 

• Like 1

I'm in the same place as you as I have a few shelf/runners but the shelves don't fit them all now. The racers stay in their boxes but the rere's and cool looking cars (like F1s) don't really have a space of their own. I don't want shelfers, all of ours get run a bit. All of mine get built to be able to enter a race though, whether they get there or not is another story. I would like to add a few cars (Clod (yes thats new!) TB05, Super Astute and Egress/Avante(yes new too!)) but don't plan to go crazy. My wife thinks anymore is crazy. 

So I am looking at options for my sons cars, if i put them in his room then I have more room for the rest.

I have almost finished my Racing Sparrow and my wife is really impressed and talking about a disply cabinet for it. I think it needs a lot of work to be display ready...

• Like 1

Few of my cars live in the house and my garage is more of a cave than a man cave. Redevelopment of the 1950s prefab is down the list of priorities.

So my cars live in boxes, however, it is my intention to have them as 'display cases' with artwork on the side noting what is contained within. Perhaps a photo and a little fact file with chassis, motor and other notes, all in the same format. Then the wall of boxes might look a bit more attractive. 

It means I'll be able to pick the right box easily too!

First, however, I need to pick a box - the nice, clear but expensive and not very well sized Really Useful Box or the smoked but cheap and well-sized Clas Ohlson offering. 

I have one exception. My All Metal Frog sits on my desk at work getting slowly upgraded. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WillyChang said:

I haven't dusted them for some years

1 hour ago, Jonathon Gillham said:

The racers stay in their boxes but the rere's and cool looking cars (like F1s) don't really have a space of their own.

These are actually both valid points.

Before I moved into my studio, I had a lot of shelf space but no continuity.  Some cars were on flat shelves, some where suspended on brackets.  The brackets were awkward and would fall off at the merest glance.  The shelves were too narrow for anything besides touring cars.  Generally the room looked a mess and nothing looked like it belonged with anything else.

So I started categorising my cars and adding them to 'collections'.  As part of a training excercise for work, 2 years ago I wrote an RC database that allowed by to specify if a car was 'displayable' (i.e. it is assembled and has a painted body and wheels), and to add each car to one or more collections.  So my BMW E30 would be in Street Cars, German Cars and Gunmetal.  My all-black Mercedes 190E would go in Street Cars, German Cars and Black.  My S15 Sylvia would be in Street Cars, Drift Cars and JDM Cars.  My SCX-10 G6 would be in Scalers, Crawlers and Gunmetal.  The database would also store which cars were currently on display.

My plan was that, at the start of every month, I would clear the On Display flags, and the app would return a random Collection that has at least 2 displayable cars.  I pick those cars and display them (I can de-select one or more cars if I don't want to display them, or roll again to get a different collection).  Then I roll for a second collection, and a third, until there are no more displayable cars in the database or there is no more space on my shelf.

The plan was that I would have a completely different display every month, and my display would always have some continuity - there might be all black cars, or all crawlers, or all street cars, or all buggies, or all vintage, or all boxart - but it would always been relevant and always different.

In practice it never worked out.  During building work, my storage space got blocked by household stuff and I couldn't get to any of my shelfers for a few months.  My database got heavily out of date and I lost track of what was displayable.  A few new cars aren't even in the DB yet.  I had a lot of trouble with dust getting into the studio and keeping the cars clean was a real chore.

It's possible I could go back to the wall-bracket display system.  It wouldn't look so good (it certainly wouldn't have the scale car park look that I was going for) but would keep the area above my desk more clear.  It would be easier to move the cars off if I want to set up some music equipment, or build the cars around the equipment.  I might even have some wall space behind me if I move some photos.  I'll have to think about that...

I have 250 cars, when we moved house a year ago we had to get a house with a room to put them in and that is now my workshop. The house has two attic areas, one is 3/4 full (boxes, NIB kits).

It's a disease, my name is Adam and I have a problem!

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

4 hours ago, Mad Ax said:

This is the only shelf / display space I have in my home.  I had planned for the entire far end of the studio to be a display wall, complete with ambient lighting and a reclining chair, but my wife had other ideas and it's now her creative workbench.

Hmm, the choice between a mancave/workspace, or the wife having a creating space instead...🤔  I think I'd miss her for a few days...😄

J

• Haha 2

Bought a new house 8 months ago, my wife has her study, and I also have a separate man cave/RC room. We're both happy. B)

I have a desk for RC, one for my computer, shelves along one wall, and pin boards on two other walls.

It is neat and well organised, however the majority of my cars are stored in plastic tubs on the shelves - hidden from view.

Some display stands are needed and have yet to come up with a design that can have 2 tiers on each shelf to display my beloved items.

My preference would be to display all my cars - shelfers, runners and race cars. Even the grubby projects that are on the 'to-do' list.

Displaying them in the house isn't an option, as much as I'd like to. As I already get "Why do you need so many?" or "What will I do with them if you die?" :lol:

If they're in the man cave, I can mitigate that somewhat.

I'm moving in the right direction (they were all stored in boxes in the shed) and looking forward to having it all set up the way i want.

So I'm fortunate at the moment where I can eventually be in a position to display them, rather than downsize my collection or store them away indefinitely.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Falcon#5 said:

Bought a new house 8 months ago, my wife has her study, and I also have a separate man cave/RC room. We're both happy. B)

We were in this situation when we first moved in.  Our house has a large workshop attached - it's 7.5 x 5 metres, and 3.5 metres high.  When we moved in, I was given a workbench at the back and space to store my motorcycles, the rest of the garage was for my wife's classic Mini, her wood lathe, and all of her other creative stuff.  In exchange, I got the master bedroom as my studio / hobby room.  I had a big computer desk, keyboard stands in the bay window for my synths and recording hardware, two recliners (made out of FTO car seats), a corner workbench for RC stuff and heaps of wall space for shelves.  It was epic.  Unfortunately I never really got around to making it look nice - it was always a total mess.

We still had 2 upstairs bedrooms - one for us, one for child 1.  We planned to convert the loft into a new master bedroom, and have the two smaller bedroom for 2 children.  However our bathroom was downstairs, and shortly before child 1 arrived my wife decided a downstairs bathroom was no good after all, so we moved the bathroom into the smallest bedroom, child 1 into the middle bedroom, us into the master bedroom, and my studio into the lounge.  The dining room became re-purposed as the lounge.

However it was less than ideal.  The diner was too small for our furniture and the house felt cramped.  After much deliberation, we agreed to convert part of the workshop into a studio room.  The wife had already sold her Mini and I was down to 1 motorcycle, so space wasn't so big a concern.  She still had plenty of space for her lathe and other things.

My studio was designed with the desk / keyboards / music equipment down the window end, and wall of shelves at the other.  I was hugely excited about setting up my displays and being able to lounge there in the evenings, listening to music and reading books.  Well, the wife decided that she needed some creative space too (the workshop, in fairness, is too cold to work in most of the year.  We installed a log burner but it costs a fortune in wood and takes a couple of hours to get any useful heat into it, which is no good for evenings).  So I had to concede that my shelf space wasn't really essential and she got her own space.  We now share the studio - we each have the studio for 2 nights per week, we spend 2 nights per week together and we get a 'floating' day which alternates weekly.

I felt quite bitter about it at the time but in retrospect it's worked out very well.  Since we moved into that home my wife has never really felt comfortable doing her creative things, and now she has the space she needs, so she's much happier.  I'm sure it's helped her be a better mother too, because she's absolutely brilliant at it now.  I have less studio time than I used to (before this I would be in my studio 5 nights per week, now it's only 2 or 3), which is why I haven't done so much music recently, but having the studio in the workshop - at the far end of the garden to the house - means I'm a bit more isolated from what's going on in the house.  It's easier to get away from the tantrums and the mess when it's my turn for some time off.  I can play my music as loud as I want, and if I'm working on an RC project in the warm I'm still only a few paces from the workbench and the tool rack.  I no longer have to hoof it down the stairs through the house, out into the rain, up the garden and back just to fetch a particular screwdriver, only to find I've got the wrong one and have to go back all over again.

I digress...

• Like 2

I'm convinced that hobby supplies are actually gaseous - they expand to fill whatever space is available to them. (And then some, usually.) I'm lucky enough to have one room dedicated to just my "little cars," as my wife puts it, although it also contains my desk and a massively over-filled bookcase. I can do whatever I want with the space, but I'm under strict orders not to allow anything to spill over into the rest of the house.

I was never really happy with how it was set up, so last year I started rearranging things and trying to maximize the space. I built a huge new workbench, with storage drawers underneath, and added some shelves to the 3 that I already had, and just a month ago I got rid of the ugly mismatched shelving units that held a lot of my collection and installed nice new shelves on that wall. These now hold 8 semi-retired vintage RC cars, and about 50 vintage plastic model kits, nicely arranged, though I'm still working on the presentation. The existing shelves are full of RC runners and radios/batteries/chargers, and the drawers house a great many more cars and parts in various states of disassembly.

And now I'm out of space again. And I've only added one RC car and 6 or 7 static kits since rearranging everything. I can see where I'm wasting space, and where I can rearrange things to gain some more room, but for right now my limited time is better spent at the workbench actually working on things instead of moving things around. The one thing I do want to do is build a display shelf for the finished static models, since I'm starting to build some of them now. (I have an idea, and it will be really cool if I can make it work.)

In the meantime, I guess if some things have to get stashed away in corners until I have a good place to put them, that's OK. I won't get bored during retirement, or have to resort to golf or something to keep busy, and that's a relief.

• Like 4

My fleet lives on a set of shelves in our "fun room" which my wife and I share 50/50. I have space for 40 cars on 4 sets of shelves, 2 cars wide by 5 shelves high. By parking the minis really close together I managed to get 41 parking bays, then by rotating them to 45 degrees relative to the shelf I managed to get another bay.

2020-01-28_11-13-17

But now that I have 43 display-worthy cars and 42 bays, I have had to get a bit creative. My wife spotted some wire stands at Ikea, sold as shoe racks, which are wide enough for a car or buggy and have legs that are sufficiently far apart for a touring car to fit between them, so I am using these to add another deck to the shelves. (If I had any woodworking tools or skills, I'd simply add another wooden shelf, but I don't.)

2020-01-28_11-00-38

I only have one in place at the moment, but they are each one and a half cars long, so 6 of them end-to-end will reach the full width of my shelving, giving space for another 8 cars. If I put cars or buggies on them and TCs or minis below them, I should be able to double my shelf space. Would such a solution be of any help to you I wonder? Is there any way of fitting more cars into less space?

• Like 5

I still have 90% of the cars I built over the past 10 years; the collection is up to 32 at the moment.  What really helped me was installing vertical shelf track on the walls of my 6' x 10' hobby room (Closet Maid branded track) and using adjustable brackets and individual shelf planks to conserve as much vertical space as possible.  As the collection grew I'd add more brackets and planks, and adjust the spacing between the planks to the minimum needed for cars.  So, my top shelves have all the monster trucks on them and there's only a little gap to the ceiling.  There are a few shelves with buggies on them as they all have about the same height.  Then the last shelves in another section all have touring/drift/pan/F1 cars as those are relatively low-profile.  I also used shelving planks wide enough to be able to turn the cars 90 degrees and pack them in more tightly side-by-side instead of nose-to-tail.  I have room for about 4 more cars, and then it'll get interesting...  ;)

• Like 2

Things "got interesting" here around time of Super Hotshot appearance... 'cos that box is plonked right in front my thoroughly planned shelving design. Then Avante and Egress, then Fox and WildOne on top of those... plus a trio of Sakura D3s, a D4, a Yok RS, an MST FXXD... then came AE RC10 Classics, a WC... then GF01, G601, T301s, SW01s... it's like an archeological dig all layered by time strata. 

Most amazing is that the pike is tall enough to totally occlude any sight of HPI Baja SS 5B standing against gap in shelves.

Yeah don't get into 1/5ths fellas... they're serious spacehogs!! Used to have more, now down to 1 left just hanging about for good memories. Savages also nearly as bad, also reduced to last 1. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, WillyChang said:

Most amazing is that the pike is tall enough to totally occlude any sight of HPI Baja SS 5B standing against gap in shelves.Yeah don't get into 1/5ths fellas... they're serious spacehogs!! Used to have more, now down to 1 left just hanging about for good memories.

Yes, I also have one of these monstrosities. Mentioned it in my post but deleted it out before submitting.

Glad another 'proper' scale enthusiast has one also. Although I suspect there are other 1/5th owners lurking in the closet. :lol:

I also failed to mention my son and I also have a 1/8th scale Xray XB8E each... :ph34r:

52 minutes ago, Falcon#5 said:

Glad another 'proper' scale enthusiast has one also. Although I suspect there are other 1/5th owners lurking in the closet. :lol:

I also failed to mention my son and I also have a 1/8th scale Xray XB8E each... :ph34r:

Hiding somewhere behind the Baja is at least a foursome of Bruisers plus a brace of Slashes & Blitzes... and I've still got an Inferno stashed somewhere. Tragic... :wacko::blink:

That's not the only crazy space hogging hobby I've acquired... Drift trikes are bigger than Bajas. Cellos are bigger than Bajas. Bicycles are bigger than Bajas. Music keyboards are bigger than Bajas. Old computers are bigger than Bajas.

And Lego. Shoot, don't mention the Lego. 

Edited by WillyChang
  • Haha 4

I like the idea of having 1-3 cars displayed inside on a rotating basis - at the moment I only display my TT01 Volvo 242GT and CC01 Toyota FJ40 inside (because they are as close as I get to shelf queens). On top of some shoe storage I have a row of the micros - T301, SW01, 1/24 HBX crawler, Q32 and a static 1:24 Toyota FJ Cruiser.

The 2 floating shelves in that room contain a combination of classic 'Space' Lego, current Lego, Star Wars Lego, a complete G1 Transformers Omega Supreme, some static car models and a dozen or so Gundams (MG, RG, HG & SD).

My wife is extraordinarily tolerant (even mildly encouraging) because she knows how much I enjoy those bits of classic plastic!

6 hours ago, lsear2905 said:

My wife is extraordinarily tolerant (even mildly encouraging) because she knows how much I enjoy those bits of classic plastic!

Meh, you haven't been married long enough then. :P 

Far as I'm concerned, mine voluntarily chose to live with RCs. We drove a pair of Mountaineers up the aisle, conveying our ringBEARers. If she didn't choose to run by then, I'm assuming full consent! 

I've since decided... yeah I should copy an art gallery design.

I'd like a big blank wall, maybe 10-15m wide by 5m high. Hidden racking supports which can either mount shelves or hang everything free form. I'd display anywhere from 1 to 30 cars. Ooh and a couch to sit on & appreciate the display. 

And BEHIND that wall... 10,000sqft warehouse :lol: compactus shelving against all the walls without Windows, workbenches & warehouse racking in the middle. 

Separated Mudroom on the side with bathroom, laundry & washing facilities. Gotta have somewhere to clean those runners & quarantine new arrivals before I get around to processing them.

Heck why not make it 20,000sqft and have a roller door so I can drive 1:1s in too.

Oh add a bed too.

Because by then... wife might come to her senses... if ever she gives ultimatum "you love me or you love those cars more..." hmmm... :ph34r:

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

On 1/28/2020 at 11:55 AM, acprc said:

I have 250 cars, when we moved house a year ago we had to get a house with a room to put them in and that is now my workshop. The house has two attic areas, one is 3/4 full (boxes, NIB kits).

It's a disease, my name is Adam and I have a problem!

I think we all need to not only admire Adam for opening up to us about his problem (it's a big step and he should be proud of his achievement) but also take a moment to show respect for Mrs. Adam, who is obviously a very loving and patient lady :) 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, jonboy1 said:

I think we all need to not only admire Adam for opening up to us about his problem (it's a big step and he should be proud of his achievement) but also take a moment to show respect for Mrs. Adam, who is obviously a very loving and patient lady :) 

My lovely wife just flatlines when I mention Tamiya now!

• Like 1

My wife is a very creative and artistic person, yet also extremely clever and scientifically-minded (she is a steampunk, musician, microbiologist and biomedical scientist), so she appreciates the hobby as it combines the creative/artistic aspects of bodywork and scale accessories with the engineering aspects of chassis and powertrain construction/tuning. As such, she supports my enjoyment of it, and has been known to dabble in RC herself, having built a buggy, a scaler, two racing teapots and a boat so far, with more projects on the horizon.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, TurnipJF said:

My wife is a very creative and artistic person, yet also extremely clever and scientifically-minded (she is a steampunk, musician, microbiologist and biomedical scientist), so she appreciates the hobby as it combines the creative/artistic aspects of bodywork and scale accessories with the engineering aspects of chassis and powertrain construction/tuning. As such, she supports my enjoyment of it, and has been known to dabble in RC herself, having built a buggy, a scaler, two racing teapots and a boat so far, with more projects on the horizon.

On behalf of every member of this forum, I think we all need to see photos of your wife's "two racing teapots," along with a build thread and specifications!

• Like 2

6 hours ago, lsear2905 said:

On behalf of every member of this forum, I think we all need to see photos of your wife's "two racing teapots," along with a build thread and specifications!

I concur

7 hours ago, lsear2905 said:

Here is the first one, based on a Rising Fighter chassis and 27t brushed power:

2020-01-31_06-45-09

The second is a work in progress, mechanically complete but still requiring body work. It looks like this so far:

2019-11-05_02-36-18

When finished, it will look similar to mine:

2019-05-25_06-05-58

They are both based on M-03 chassis converted to rear wheel drive and 4-wheel steering.

• Like 5

That looks... short. And, erm... stout. ;)

Just for a visual, I thought I'd post a couple photos of my new display shelves...

20200201_085656

20200201_085712

• Like 4
  • Haha 3