GTodd

Terra Scorcher 2020!!

I might do that for my runner vintage Terra Scorcher, although if sitting on a shelf forever can't prevent A5 from disintegrating, I'm not entirely convinced that an E clip will save the day.   

The A5 is an easy fix, get the metal version, and now it's truly bullet proof.

And a nice side effect of the Rere of this. Easy to get classic mini cva!!!

I just pre-ordered mine with Tower. 

Do we know when the release date is? 

I'm not sure where this is coming from but the gang on Tamiya Legends are quoting April. 

Probably from tamico.de, pre order page states dates

Also put a pre-order in with Tower. Hopefully this time around, the bevel gears by the prop shaft will be molded properly.

Yup, you guys are right. The German site states 04/20/20. Nice spring surprise for myself!

Hopefully, USA will be right around that time frame as well. 

4 hours ago, Saito2 said:

Also put a pre-order in with Tower. Hopefully this time around, the bevel gears by the prop shaft will be molded properly.

I'm not familiar with this issue?  Was it limited to this chassis and previous reres?

Some fire dragon kits were seemingly affected (mine were fine though)

Pre-ordered at Tower.  I've been pining after a Thundershot chassis ever since I missed my chance at the first batch of re-res.  Finally!!!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, tamiya3speed said:
11 hours ago, Saito2 said:

I'm not familiar with this issue?  Was it limited to this chassis and previous reres?

49486883856_f7d9feed0d.jpgIMG_2111 by Scott Weiland, on Flickr

IIRC this was from a Fire Dragon kit. There's some lumpiness at the root of the bevel gear teeth. I ran fine but made a fairly prominent clicking sound like a wind-up toy in overdrive. Probably the first "bad" part I ever got from Tamiya.  It took awhile to find with a stethoscope as the white ceramic grease obscured the gear distortion. That's the replacement parts I ordered that were also affected. Careful trimming and filing of the gear fixed the issue. I had original RC10 six gear transmission flashbacks, lol.

3 hours ago, Saito2 said:

IIRC this was from a Fire Dragon kit. There's some lumpiness at the root of the bevel gear teeth. I ran fine but made a fairly prominent clicking sound like a wind-up toy in overdrive. Probably the first "bad" part I ever got from Tamiya.  It took awhile to find with a stethoscope as the white ceramic grease obscured the gear distortion. That's the replacement parts I ordered that were also affected. Careful trimming and filing of the gear fixed the issue. I had original RC10 six gear transmission flashbacks, lol.

Ah, I see.  I'll have to check them closely then.  Thanks!

Good information.

I remember back in 88 R/C whiz C. Chianelli had a great idea to smooth gearing. That was to assemble using toothpaste....which can be considered a lapping compound. When run for several minutes this way, the paste provides a smooth finish and allows for precision mating of parts. Then you open gearbox, clean the gears and re-assemble with grease. I use Cera HG or moly. 

Pre-ordered mine! As I figure the Terra Scorcher was a well-developed buggy for its time, I am looking forward to adding it as a stylish and fairly-reliable runner. I have also been missing the excitement of four-wheel drive off-road buggies ever since my dearly-departed Avante, which I am hoping will prove more maintenance-intensive than this upcoming Terra Scorcher.

Even when I first learned what it was (it was released a little before my time), I liked its aesthetics, though at the time I admit I found it technically boring compared to such idiosyncratic buggies like the Hotshot. Having come to appreciate the solid performance of more conventional entries, though, I am really looking forward to this particular re-release - already, I have a paint scheme planned for it...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MICHAELs TopForce17 said:

Preordered. Was browsing the tc showrooms and saw a ts with hicaps think the egress version. Would the top force re re hicaps work?

No, well the rear would but the "fronts" will be too long. 

• Thanks 1

There's just one negative point about this re-re: that we'll have to wait until end of April.

I can't fathom over two more months looking at this thread every day in the delusional hope of somebody declaring that there will be an earlier release.

Preordering? That would just make me sink deeper and simmer in my lust, so that I'd become a warped, Gollum-like figure by the time the kit reaches my hands.

So maybe at this point the most logical solution would be to buy a not-so-cheap Kyosho Turbo Optima gold edition kit and scratch that itch in the meantime.

...but then the Terra Scorcher would finally come out and I'd still be licking my wounds (financially speaking) hence i wouldn't be so gung-ho about getting one right away... or still, would I?

I'm confused. I'm usually ok to wait, but this time I feel just like a spoiled rich kid at the carnival: I want it all and I want it now!

In other words,I'm getting way too enthusiastic about this new re-re :rolleyes:

• Like 1

I purchased a vintage Thundershot to make a Terra Scorcher. That build is almost done, I'll create a thread. I'll get a Rere and make it a Thundershot to correct the inballance in the universe. 😁

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 2/3/2020 at 2:47 AM, GTodd said:

I'm not sure where this is coming from but the gang on Tamiya Legends are quoting 

On the modelsport website it says April so probably june/july:rolleyes:!

The current quick unboxing on YT shows a strengthened alloy motor plate (uneeded) and two huge cable ties????? Tamiya could have kept the motor plate the same and included an alloy a5 support!?

need a manual to be made available so we can see!