GTodd

Terra Scorcher 2020!!

Finished today. Runs great with one minor malfunction. Didn't come with thread lock and the set screw came out of the motor gear. My first build in 30 years. Manta Ray from 1990 next to it.

20200821_162131.jpg

• Like 5

Finally after a 30 year wait, I have a Tamiya Terra Scorcher again!  It was my first 4WD car back in 1988, I think I paid £119 from Model Aerodrome in Guildford...

A little disappointed they did not include the thrust bearings, but I found the correct replacements.

spacer.png

• Like 4

1 hour ago, ramdriveUK said:

Finally after a 30 year wait, I have a Tamiya Terra Scorcher again!  It was my first 4WD car back in 1989, I think I paid £119 from Model Aerodrome in Guildford...

A little disappointed they did not include the thrust bearings, but I found the correct replacements.

spacer.png

Enjoy the build and the memories.

What was supplied by tamiya for the thrust bearings then?  I am surprised considering the price they are asking.

3 minutes ago, gt6++ said:

Enjoy the build and the memories.

What was supplied by tamiya for the thrust bearings then?  I am surprised considering the price they are asking.

Plastic bush (E1) and metal washer, the same as used by the cheaper shot's:-

Old Terra:-

spacer.png

New Terra:-

spacer.png

• Like 1

To be fair on Tamiya, I don’t think the average buyer of this is looking for high performance or longevity. I’ll forgive them this cost saver... I want one...

43 minutes ago, Lee76 said:

To be fair on Tamiya, I don’t think the average buyer of this is looking for high performance or longevity. I’ll forgive them this cost saver... I want one...

You are right, it is not a deal breaker.  I beg to differ on the average buyer though,  they are going to be Tamiya geeks like us  :D and pickup on these details.

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, gt6++ said:

You are right, it is not a deal breaker.  I beg to differ on the average buyer though,  they are going to be Tamiya geeks like us  :D and pickup on these details

I think they played you :)

leaving something that’s not quite right gives you

1: something to fix, every one of us loves an upgrade and the chance to ‘invest’ more of our hard earned cash.  

2: something to hit the forum with and ‘expose/discuss’ which is brilliant free advertising. Well played Tamiya.. having spent 1/3 the cost of my new MB on a ball diff and discussing the pro’s and cons in the forum They played me too and will again. :)

But yes, totally agree, it’s in the detail where the fun is and the research and discussion on here with fellow geeks. 

• Haha 1

I will also be adding a resistor and guard to mine just for nostalgia...

May change rod ends and motor mount also...

18 hours ago, MrBlz said:

Finished today. Runs great with one minor malfunction. Didn't come with thread lock and the set screw came out of the motor gear. My first build in 30 years. Manta Ray from 1990 next to it.

20200821_162131.jpg

Nice, I won't comment on the body, but will say my OCD has gone into overdrive! What have you done to the rear wing 🤣

How are you guys spacing your pinon? Is there an easy way?  I am sure in my original kit they supplied a little piece of plastic to set the correct spacing...

spacer.png

16 hours ago, ramdriveUK said:

Finally after a 30 year wait, I have a Tamiya Terra Scorcher again!  It was my first 4WD car back in 1989, I think I paid £119 from Model Aerodrome in Guildford...

Do you know if the Tamiya thrust bearings 5x10x4mm?   I'm 99% sure they are 5mm ID and 10mm OD, but not sure if 4mm is the right thickness.

3 hours ago, ramdriveUK said:

How are you guys spacing your pinon? Is there an easy way?  I am sure in my original kit they supplied a little piece of plastic to set the correct spacing...

spacer.png

The picture shows 14.5mm spacing from outer edge of pinion to inner ledge of motor mounting plate.

4 hours ago, Champ85 said:

Do you know if the Tamiya thrust bearings 5x10x4mm?   I'm 99% sure they are 5mm ID and 10mm OD, but not sure if 4mm is the right thickness.

Just use normal metal shielded ball bearings, 1150, never had issues in 10 years using them

8 hours ago, ramdriveUK said:

spacer.png

The spacer is still included and can be used with the new motor plate but it's really fiddly to put on and remove.

But can be done

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Champ85 said:

I will post the thickness of the E1+Washer, Tamiya Thrust Bearing and 1150 shortly, I am just waiting for a battery for my calipers!

The part I pictured is the correct part that originally shipped with the Terra Scorcher, it is NOS...

6 hours ago, Champ85 said:

The picture shows 14.5mm spacing from outer edge of pinion to inner ledge of motor mounting plate.

Yeah, I will just use my calipers...

18 hours ago, ramdriveUK said:

spacer.png

I eyeballs it with the diagram in the instructions and that worked well. However, what I neglected the first time was thread lock because the kit didn't include it. During some full throttle test runs the screw came out. No damage just some extra work.

On 8/22/2020 at 11:22 AM, ramdriveUK said:

Nice, I won't comment on the body, but will say my OCD has gone into overdrive! What have you done to the rear wing 🤣

Ah, yes. Just an old guy letting his grandson assist. 

20200823_141205.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MrBlz said:

I eyeballs it with the diagram in the instructions and that worked well. However, what I neglected the first time was thread lock because the kit didn't include it. During some full throttle test runs the screw came out. No damage just some extra work.

Good point, Thanks!

Hey, I need a replacement front coil spring.

The manual for the re re has the codes for the front and rear coils the wrong way round according to the Fire Dragon manual and it should be the 9805310 but I can’t find one anywhere.
Any suggestions for a similar replacement? 

Pic D6591CC1-1B1D-4209-ABC2-C660230A8D0D.thumb.jpeg.853d1ed9aebf471626dc9ec35ed132c1.jpegof my build while I’m at it!

8859E705-2897-4A85-8CC3-321FFF8AC31E.jpeg

• Like 1

These are gorgeous!!!! I need another body and paint it box art!!!!

• Like 1

@SuttieB Have a look at the TT02B manual. Those springs will fit. I found my Thunder Dragon handled better with stiffer front springs than kit. I have the DF03 spring set 53927 which has some good options which suit this buggy. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/22/2020 at 4:30 AM, MrBlz said:

20200821_162131.jpg

What ps color did you use on the manta and terra?

2 hours ago, kid168 said:

What ps color did you use on the manta and terra?

PS4 Blue on the Terra but the Manta was 30 years ago so I don't remember. However, I did not follow the box on the Manta that much I do remember.  Also, since I am here, two questions.  Does anyone have any experience with Liquid Masking Tape?  On my Terra I did use a small amount of thread sealer on the wheels but after 20 minutes of some high speed running they get loose anyway.