GTodd

Terra Scorcher 2020!!

1 hour ago, taffer said:

It's a pity you can't also ask for them to video the strip down and rebuild?

What I mean is, I never used a power driver to build cars, I like to manually feel the resistance with the plastic etc....

So I wouldn't be happy if I saw (or knew) that they used a power driver for the screws.....

If they can't say in detail what they will do and how they will do it then I'd be hesitant.

I'm actually hoping they wont do a strip down of it... 

@burakol I once again suggest that you keep your car and, if you don't wanna venture into fixing it yourself, just enjoy it as is. I'm sure it's tempting to use the prepaid label and have some sort of "justice" figured out, but look at all the risk and time involved. Even if the representative guy seems genuine, the whole thing seems to be still overly complicated and a bit fishy. And you'll be hardly able to claim any damage or missing parts, in the event that it happens.

I understand it's a tough choice though, as "giving up" on it will leave a bad taste in your mouth, but given the situation you've described that's what I would do.

+1

@burakol I agree with @Ferruz, just keep it and run it. 

Thundershot bevel gears are available on eBay quite cheaply so you can always just get a set if needed. 

I would not take the risk or go through the hassle of sending it back. The noise will reduce with time as the gears bed in. 

Just go drive it and enjoy it. 

Why not take part in the postal racing, do a few hundred laps and not only will the noise have reduced, you'll be hooked on racing it around a track and will forget about the minor issues ;)

• Like 1

It is going to Tamiya after all, i can't imagine they are going to break the thing and send it back that way.  Sounds like the rep is genuinely trying to help going as far as offering the prepaid tag to get it there.

Having said that, if you remove the wheels and tires, it would pack the triangle drive hubs and pins in a baggie so they don't get loose in the box.  Run the wheelnuts back on flush with the end of the axle to prevent thread damage.  If you are really concened about parts coming back missing/broken, take good pics before you ship it and compare when it comes back.

well.. it has been shipped out today... I figured they should know what they're doing anyway... I guess I can be the 1st guinea  pig... to think of it,  whatever the outcome will be, at least I can find the closure I need... I'll let you guys know the outcome when I hear back from them...

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, burakol said:

well.. it has been shipped out today... I figured they should know what they're doing anyway... I guess I can be the 1st guinea  pig... to think of it,  whatever the outcome will be, at least I can find the closure I need... I'll let you guys know the outcome when I hear back from them...

They’re gonna use hobby knife to clean up gears and it’ll be good 😂

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, rwordenjr said:

My guess is they'll buy an original off Ebay and swap the gears out for some run in originals ;)

@burakol In all seriousness, I hope they fix it for you and it gets returned safely to you.  I'm sure if all the people on the forum that bought the re-re end up with a free transmission rebuild pack from Tamiya like the they did for the juggernaut you'll be voted 'member of the year'

:)

3 hours ago, rwordenjr said:

So long as they fix it...  no cost to me... all good... no complains. 

2 hours ago, MadInventor said:

My guess is they'll buy an original off Ebay and swap the gears out for some run in originals ;)

@burakol In all seriousness, I hope they fix it for you and it gets returned safely to you.  I'm sure if all the people on the forum that bought the re-re end up with a free transmission rebuild pack from Tamiya like the they did for the juggernaut you'll be voted 'member of the year'

:)

Whether they do or not, as ling as it is returned to me without “more” problems, it’ll be all good... if they fix it, then that’s an added bonus... but being the member of the year aint bad too... 

8 minutes ago, burakol said:

So long as they fix it...  no cost to me... all good... no complains. 

Whether they do or not, as ling as it is returned to me without “more” problems, it’ll be all good... if they fix it, then that’s an added bonus... but being the member of the year aint bad too... 

Why are you so worried? I’ve read several of your posts worrying they will lose it or damage it. I’m sure everything will be fine stop stressing :)

• Thanks 1

On 12/10/2020 at 7:09 PM, Avante2001R said:

Why are you so worried? I’ve read several of your posts worrying they will lose it or damage it. I’m sure everything will be fine stop stressing :)

So.... I got an update... both not so good and some feeling of consolation....

My worst fear came true... the kit got damaged... It got squished and the tub chassis and propeller shaft got bent... I was sent some photo and it looks like it needs a new tub, but other than that, I may be able to salvage and restore it easily...  

For the consolation... I am getting a new kit in the form of a VQS... since they are owning up to the damage (which I dont think they are liable due to shipping damage) they will send me the new kit and the damaged Terra Scorcher, plus parts to fix it when it becomes available to them20201218_121140.thumb.jpg.6d1bf1ff384116beb95b60e4d0e287f1.jpg... as of the moment, I know the tub chassis is available at RCmart so hopefully this will be a cheap fix... 

I'm not so sure if I should be upset or what... 

Sorry that happened but don't understand how you could possibly be upset after considering their offered remedy. They are sending you a new VQS kit (which is apparently so expensive that there are multiple threads complaining about its cost) plus your kit, and eventually the parts to repair because it was damaged in shipping through no fault of their own.  Sounds like they are doing a lot to keep a customer.

1 hour ago, burakol said:

My worst fear came true... the kit got damaged... It got squished and the tub chassis and propeller shaft got bent... I was sent some photo and it looks like it needs a new tub, but other than that, I may be able to salvage and restore it easily...  

For the consolation... I am getting a new kit in the form of a VQS... since they are owning up to the damage (which I dont think they are liable due to shipping damage) they will send me the new kit and the damaged Terra Scorcher, plus parts to fix it when it becomes available to them20201218_121140.thumb.jpg.6d1bf1ff384116beb95b60e4d0e287f1.jpg... as of the moment, I know the tub chassis is available at RCmart so hopefully this will be a cheap fix... 

Lol really? Stop complaining and fix the damage you got an over priced VQS. So it s a win win situation.

How was the car packaged? Was it damaged on the way to Tamiya or on the return back to you?

The Terra is still with them. I assume it got damaged on the way there, or other boxes were put on top of it. Yeah, I dont fault them for anything. It is probably USPS that did the damage. I packed it securely but I guess it was not secure enough. I'm actually grateful that they are sending me a new kit as a goodwill gesture. Dont get me wrong, I'm not upset with Tamiya, I'm just flabbergasted that this happened... but yeah, I feel that they are actually going way above and beyond in my case... 

I might just buy a new tub from an online seller instead of waiting for their parts to be in stock. I think I still have a hanger shaft from my Manta Ray that I can possibly use. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, burakol said:

Wow ! A vqs, that’s awesome 

That's got to be the best customer service ever. The crushed chassis doesn't surprise me, knowing how parcels are usually handled, but Tamiya's response to that is uncanny. Fixing something they didn't even break with a VQS sounds quite classy, don't you think? Good for you man, I'd just be all over the moon and not baffled at all!

• Like 2

I think the manta ray propshaft is longer than the terra scorcher.

I think I would have preferred a duplicate new terra scorcher kit? 🤔😁

1 hour ago, taffer said:

I think the manta ray propshaft is longer than the terra scorcher.

Yes the Manta's one is definitely longer.

New motor plate using original kit motor spacer, it does fit, terra manual says not to use it......

IMG_20201220_101904.jpg

Switching motor plates back to original style you can see because it's thinner there's a mm gap

IMG_20201220_102156.jpg

Adjusting it so there's no gap and reinstalling shows it matching up to the spur dead centre.

So the new one can be used with the setting spacer part but best to double check with spur before greasing and installing if using the new version

IMG_20201220_102314.jpg

Ok, its been a month since and I Tamiya USA did indeed, delivered what they promised... as for the Terra, I was able to secure a replacement tub from Tonys Tamiya, and just bent the coat hanger propeller as straight as I could... i really couldn’t complain with the level of Customer Service they provided me... plus this.... 

image.jpg

• Like 5

Hi all,

does anyone know if the Terra Scorcher is already discontinued? Unforunately I can't find a kit anymore in Germany.

Best

Maybe this ebay seller has missed off their description that its for three of them or something.

Four months ago these were readily available for 180 quid.......not a bad investment for someone if it sells at that I suppose.

Screenshot_20210312-081841_eBay.jpg

• Thanks 1