GTodd

Terra Scorcher 2020!!

Surely the Terra Scorcher can't be out of print already, wasn't it re released just last year? It might take a while due to the quagmire that is international shipping at the moment, but it would surprise me if there isn't another batch coming.  

EDIT to say: so I hope it doesn't sell for that much, would be a bit unfair to gouge someone over a kit that should be available again in a month or two. 

• Like 1

Fusion hobbies (UK) has a date of approx July for more stock, might not be many though.....

• Like 2

Looks like Tamiya USA has more Terra Scorchers in stock. I hope Tower or someone ends up getting some back in stock. $275 MSRP is a bit steep.

• Like 2

Just saw that these are back in stock at Tamiya USA.

*Missed above*

Edited by Big Jon
Can't read.

I bought one last week on Aussie eBay for 150 quid posted, very happy with that.

I am gathering the hop ups , I have new high caps, VQS rims, solid alloy A5 from Pargue, steel arm shafts, 13.5 sensored system,  2 cans of PS16, it’s going to be awesome 

• Like 5

I may have accidentally ordered a Terra Scorcher 2020 even though i just got back into RC and finished up my TT02B Sand Scorcher ;) 

Thought it looked and sounded familiar when browsing and later realized why, i had and loved the Terra Scorcher Jr for many years as a kid.

Had no idea that it was intended as a constrained track racer at the time so had it bouncing around, leaving marks on furniture and baseboards and eventually upgraded to a twin reel fishing line setup to run it in circles around me in the parking lot as well as making halfpipe tracks in sand where leaning turns would keep it (mostly) on the track.

Was unable to restrain myself from getting one when i saw it was available in RCform as i so much wanted the tiny one to be RC when i was a kid, absolutely love the look of it.

So now to prepping for the build, ive come understand its relatively well hopped in the kit but still has what ive learned is a dreadful weakness in the a5 department.

Ive got a 3d printer and files for it are available (here, here and here) so i could just print replacements nearly for free, i can also make a sheet metal brace to go over it

But...

Am i better off going for something like the pargustore a5 brace straight away?

If so, can the community recommend any EU based stores that sells them? Im still new back into this so i dont really know where to look, Tamico has an alloy+c-clips+pins variant but at around 40 eur shipped that feels like overkill when the kit itself was 210 eur shipped and i could "make" my own replacements.

• Like 1

I just went the aluminium upgrade with shaft pins & clips on mine @Ziddan

This guy goes into a few options, one being simply heating the screw pin before screwing it in..

I can see how heating the parts to conform to the threads on the pin would put less stress on it than forcing a larger diameter thread into the solid material.

Ill start with that and a DIY sheet metal brace, a fix is easily printable if the original fails and if issues continue ill look at ordering a metal replacement.

Following my post from February, I have finally had some time and have finished the chassis.

image.jpg

• Like 9

16 hours ago, Snappy1 said:

Following my post from February, I have finally had some time and have finished the chassis.

image.jpg

Proper! Vqs or top force hi caps? 

4 hours ago, Robert5000 said:

Proper! Vqs or top force hi caps? 

VQS , with the largest internal spacers on the sprue installed.

It will also be interesting, I have the new TBLE-04S esc installed, with a Deans connector and a 13.5 sensored motor, I have installed a fan on the ESC from Ali express  for about $4 and will be running on a 2c Lipo.

The fan power connector plugs into your receiver.
I have had a good experience running the older Tamiya esc with the optional fan kit with a 10.5 T Tamiya motor.

image.jpg

• Like 1

On 7/3/2022 at 4:32 AM, Snappy1 said:

image.jpg

I am building a fire dragon at this moment with the hi caps shocks, the rears are fine and really like them, the front shocks on this car with the spacer in it do not have a lot of stroke, I have some other dampers that have way more stroke,  I am thinking to convert it to a mono shock,  use the hi caps in front without the spacer.

I have seen a lot of this chassis with the hi caps, If I had known before that the front has so little stroke I did not bought them, I do not like it that the chassis not bottom out before the shock do.

31 minutes ago, dannymulder said:

I have seen a lot of this chassis with the hi caps, If I had known before that the front has so little stroke I did not bought them, I do not like it that the chassis not bottom out before the shock do.

Looking at the photos above, I was wondering about the lack of travel in the front shocks there, it looks very small. Although it appears to be sitting nice and low, which looks cool.

From my limited knowledge in the hobby so far, I believe it is better to have the chassis bottom out before the shocks do, to avoid stress and damage to the shocks. Makes sense to me, you could put some serious force through those little shocks on a regular basis if the chassis doesn't hit the deck first.

6 hours ago, Kol__ said:

Looking at the photos above, I was wondering about the lack of travel in the front shocks there, it looks very small. Although it appears to be sitting nice and low, which looks cool.

It is sitting low. There aren't even any spring tensioners on those shocks. If they are like other Hicap shocks, the front lower spring retainers are "cupped" and allow the shock body to drop into them vs a flat retainer yielding more travel.

2 hours ago, Saito2 said:

It is sitting low. There aren't even any spring tensioners on those shocks. If they are like other Hicap shocks, the front lower spring retainers are "cupped" and allow the shock body to drop into them vs a flat retainer yielding more travel.

Even with the spring tensioners on those front shocks, you have to build them with an 6mm spacer to fit this chassis, and even with the cupped spring retainer there is not al lot of travel in this shock for this chassis, with the suspension arms horizontal you are allready at the end of the shock travel, the tamiya 53155 are way better for the front end of this chassis the are the correct lenght and have a lot of travel.

I used the hi cap without a spacer and used an long eyeled and used as a monoshock set up for my firedragon, then they have enough travel to bottom out nicely.

so my opinion the hi caps are not the best way to go,  if you want 4 shock set up, then there are better options  for the front shocks of the car, the rears are fine and have enough travel in them.

52193166323_f9da58a4c9_k.jpg

52192141577_3f939b9522_k.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, dannymulder said:

Even with the spring tensioners on those front shocks, you have to build them with an 6mm spacer to fit this chassis, and even with the cupped spring retainer there is not al lot of travel in this shock for this chassis, with the suspension arms horizontal you are allready at the end of the shock travel, the tamiya 53155 are way better for the front end of this chassis the are the correct lenght and have a lot of travel.

I used the hi cap without a spacer and used an long eyeled and used as a monoshock set up for my firedragon, then they have enough travel to bottom out nicely.

so my opinion the hi caps are not the best way to go,  if you want 4 shock set up, then there are better options  for the front shocks of the car, the rears are fine and have enough travel in them.

Thanks for the tip. I had no idea Hicaps were so ill-suited to the front of the Terra Scorcher. Odd, considering Tamiya used to recommend them in the Optional Parts section of the original manual for the Terra Scorcher. Sorry if I led Kol astray. Again, thanks for the correction.

On 7/5/2022 at 2:09 AM, Saito2 said:

Thanks for the tip. I had no idea Hicaps were so ill-suited to the front of the Terra Scorcher. Odd, considering Tamiya used to recommend them in the Optional Parts section of the original manual for the Terra Scorcher. Sorry if I led Kol astray. Again, thanks for the correction.

LOL... I read this after I splurged on hi caps for my TS!  Oh well, it will mostly be run on grass ovals anyway.

Hi All

does anybody knows where to find this custom made chassis kit 

Thanks in advance for any info provided!

Terra 1.JPG

Terra 2.JPG

Terra 3.JPG

Just finished my Terra Scorcher chassis so just the body and radio gear to go. First build for many years and really enjoyed it!

Photo 15-12-2022, 20 24 35.jpg

• Like 3

We had an incredibly thin layer of ice all over the drive this morning. Got the Terra Scorcher out and had an enjoyable ten minutes sliding the car sideways everywhere, mostly under complete control, it was Ossum™ and in my mind I was Colin McRae! I'm just using some cheap Absima onroad wheels and tyres.

I had no idea that you could convert the car to a monoshock front suspension setup. I'm guessing the black triangular shock mount parts are on one of the trees that I ignored?

If you're ever after modern 2.2" wheels and tyres instead of buying the (very nice) Vanquish ones then the JC Racing Pepperpots look brilliant I think!

50545190126_33cab27067_b.jpg

• Like 4

36 minutes ago, EvilSpike said:

If you're ever after modern 2.2" wheels and tyres instead of buying the (very nice) Vanquish ones then the JC Racing Pepperpots look brilliant I think!

Indeed, those white wheels look great on the Terra Scorcher mate👍🏻 What pin spike tyres are those?

• Like 1