Jump to content
GTodd

Terra Scorcher 2020!!

Recommended Posts

11 hours ago, taffer said:

The current quick unboxing on YT shows a strengthened alloy motor plate (uneeded) and two huge cable ties????? Tamiya could have kept the motor plate the same and included an alloy a5 support!?

need a manual to be made available so we can see!

Man you're speaking the gospel!!! I dont know why Tamiya doesnt make these a regular run hop up.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Manual up on tamiya.de !!!!!!

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

when building this one, what do I NEED to do in terms of hop ups??
 Don't care if Tamiya parts or not. I'm building mine as a runner, so it needs to be reliable

Thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You still need 3 extra ball bearings (1150) to replace the e1+thrust washer parts, ideally proper ball raced thrust bearings but I have been using normal ball bearings for years.

Steel pinion and steel a5 support

Replacing the screw pins with shafts and clips will make it last even longer

(Parts numbers in my showroom tshot new build)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pre-ordered my one when it was announced just waiting for it to turn up and a bit of a coincidence that as I was reading this thread I got a text from modelsport to say it will be at my door tomorrow! :D:D:D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Does the '4' part number mean it's going to be a very limited run or do you think it'll hang around a while like the Hotshot has. Or will it's time depend solely on sales? I quite fancy one but not if it disappears as quickly as the Novafox did.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Folks in Canada or US there is a hobby shop in Ontario, CA that has 1 terra scorcher left and is getting several more next week.  I have ordered parts and a subaru impreza from them and they are awesome to deal with.  The nice thing is if you are paying in USD the Terra Scorcher is only $140+ shipping.  Can't beat that.

The shop is called the Zoom Room . https://www.thezoomroom.ca/tam-47442-terra-scorcher-4wd-kit.html

Hit them up on Facebook messenger if you are in the US so they can setup a paypal invoice to send you.  You can't pay through the site as shipping to US is not available with their pull down menus.  

  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, MICHAELs TopForce17 said:

Wow not bad 245 Canadian for me. tower wants 192 usd plus shipping so about 293 Canadian. hmm.....

But who knows when Tower will get one in. This place has one in stock (as of a couple hours ago at least) now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, A-Baum said:

Folks in Canada or US there is a hobby shop in Ontario, CA that has 1 terra scorcher left and is getting several more next week.  I have ordered parts and a subaru impreza from them and they are awesome to deal with.  The nice thing is if you are paying in USD the Terra Scorcher is only $140+ shipping.  Can't beat that.

The shop is called the Zoom Room . https://www.thezoomroom.ca/tam-47442-terra-scorcher-4wd-kit.html

Hit them up on Facebook messenger if you are in the US so they can setup a paypal invoice to send you.  You can't pay through the site as shipping to US is not available with their pull down menus.  

Zoom Room is great.  They had a discontinued part for another brand and worked with me to get it paid for and shipped to the US.  I would highly recommend them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, A-Baum said:

Folks in Canada or US there is a hobby shop in Ontario, CA that has 1 terra scorcher left and is getting several more next week.  I have ordered parts and a subaru impreza from them and they are awesome to deal with.  The nice thing is if you are paying in USD the Terra Scorcher is only $140+ shipping.  Can't beat that.

The shop is called the Zoom Room . https://www.thezoomroom.ca/tam-47442-terra-scorcher-4wd-kit.html

Hit them up on Facebook messenger if you are in the US so they can setup a paypal invoice to send you.  You can't pay through the site as shipping to US is not available with their pull down menus.  

Did you get one ? Thinking of getting but pretty pricey for what it is 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, rwordenjr said:

Did you get one ? Thinking of getting but pretty pricey for what it is 

No I grabbed a tt-02 Subaru Impreza since tower was back ordered until at least June.  I had a fire dragon when I was younger and it never really connected with me.  Was kinda slow, not too agile.  Was very sturdy from what I can remember but I never really loved that car so the scorcher isn’t really an itch I need to scratch. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, A-Baum said:

No I grabbed a tt-02 Subaru Impreza since tower was back ordered until at least June.  I had a fire dragon when I was younger and it never really connected with me.  Was kinda slow, not too agile.  Was very sturdy from what I can remember but I never really loved that car so the scorcher isn’t really an itch I need to scratch. 

Yea I don’t like the look of it really but it’s new and 4wd... for that price though ($190+) I’m going to pass I think. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, rwordenjr said:

Yea I don’t like the look of it really but it’s new and 4wd... for that price though ($190+) I’m going to pass I think. 

I’ve brought this up before but I just don’t get Tamiya pricing.  On one hand you can get a lunch box or a grasshopper for around $100-$115 USD.  Hornet is $140. Frog is in the $170 range when it should be in the $115 range. A great car like the racing fighter is just over $100.  Seems like all the rere 4wd cars are north of $200 but I can get a new tt-02b buggy for low $100s.  I get the nostalgic factor but they seem to be trying to take advantage. The only $200+ buggy I will consider is a super astute.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, A-Baum said:

I’ve brought this up before but I just don’t get Tamiya pricing.  On one hand you can get a lunch box or a grasshopper for around $100-$115 USD.  Hornet is $140. Frog is in the $170 range when it should be in the $115 range. A great car like the racing fighter is just over $100.  Seems like all the rere 4wd cars are north of $200 but I can get a new tt-02b buggy for low $100s.  I get the nostalgic factor but they seem to be trying to take advantage. The only $200+ buggy I will consider is a super astute.  

Even the super astute doesn’t come with bearings, it’s got bushings I believe. Tamiya are pretty much for looks and light running. If you want to bash and run hard at a track vs others, get another brand (I’ve just done so). Sucks to say but thats how I t is it seems. In the USA, the parts availability isn’t like other brands and the performance isn’t as good either. There is still something about a Tamiya though and you can still love them but just have to understand what they’re good for and not good for. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, A-Baum said:

I’ve brought this up before but I just don’t get Tamiya pricing.  On one hand you can get a lunch box or a grasshopper for around $100-$115 USD.  Hornet is $140. Frog is in the $170 range when it should be in the $115 range. A great car like the racing fighter is just over $100.  Seems like all the rere 4wd cars are north of $200 but I can get a new tt-02b buggy for low $100s.  I get the nostalgic factor but they seem to be trying to take advantage. The only $200+ buggy I will consider is a super astute.  

I’ve current got a racing fighter, sand viper, stadium thunder, super levant, nova fox and a baja king. I’m in fear of running them hard 😢

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, rwordenjr said:

I’ve current got a racing fighter, sand viper, stadium thunder, super levant, nova fox and a baja king. I’m in fear of running them hard 😢

I built a racing fighter for my son and so far the motor mount has failed and the chassis has cracked in 2 places.  We haven’t run it all that much.  I don’t mind buying parts trees  they’re pretty cheap just wish I could get them in the US so I didn’t have to wait 10+ days to fix it and let him run it again.

what brand do you recommend for real bashing?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, A-Baum said:

I built a racing fighter for my son and so far the motor mount has failed and the chassis has cracked in 2 places.  We haven’t run it all that much.  I don’t mind buying parts trees  they’re pretty cheap just wish I could get them in the US so I didn’t have to wait 10+ days to fix it and let him run it again.

what brand do you recommend for real bashing?

I haven’t tried it yet but I’ve got a ECX amp mt kit coming tomorrow. It’s plastic too but is a flexible kind of plastic. All the reviews pretty much say it’s tough as nails and can take a lot of abuse. It’s no tamiya in the looks department but I already have tamiyas. I wanted to find a reasonably priced basher vehicle that I don’t cringe at every time it runs into something.. hopefully this is it 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, taffer said:

You still need 3 extra ball bearings (1150) to replace the e1+thrust washer parts, ideally proper ball raced thrust bearings but I have been using normal ball bearings for years.

Steel pinion and steel a5 support

Replacing the screw pins with shafts and clips will make it last even longer

(Parts numbers in my showroom tshot new build)

cheers Taffer :-)

um, which thudershot?  you got a lot in your showroom !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, rwordenjr said:

Even the super astute doesn’t come with bearings, it’s got bushings I believe. Tamiya are pretty much for looks and light running. If you want to bash and run hard at a track vs others, get another brand (I’ve just done so). Sucks to say but thats how I t is it seems. In the USA, the parts availability isn’t like other brands and the performance isn’t as good either. There is still something about a Tamiya though and you can still love them but just have to understand what they’re good for and not good for. 

Agree 100%.  I've never owned a Clodbuster and would like to, but after seeing some videos of what some of the Traxxas monster trucks can do, its night an day difference what would be better for bashing around the yard.  I think a lot of the enjoyment for me is the actual building of the kit and see something take shape on my workbench. 

I've never owned a 4WD Tamiya buggy either so this Terra Scorcher kit is a bit tempting. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Flare65 said:

Agree 100%.  I've never owned a Clodbuster and would like to, but after seeing some videos of what some of the Traxxas monster trucks can do, its night an day difference what would be better for bashing around the yard.  I think a lot of the enjoyment for me is the actual building of the kit and see something take shape on my workbench. 

I've never owned a 4WD Tamiya buggy either so this Terra Scorcher kit is a bit tempting. 

That’s very true! Most of the fun with Tamiyas are the builds. With a brand like Traxxas, it’s already built and you can run it right away. What cars do you currently have ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've raced many tamiya rc models hard, the best I've come across are the top force evolution, egress and dyna storm. Yes I know they are the top end of the market but its like buying a real car you can buy an Audi s3 or get the rsq3! If you get what I'm saying. You have to start somewhere. Anyway it's just my opinion lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, rwordenjr said:

That’s very true! Most of the fun with Tamiyas are the builds. With a brand like Traxxas, it’s already built and you can run it right away. What cars do you currently have ?

 

Well, I have a Wild Willy 2 that I'm getting ready to start building this weekend.  I've been spending money lately getting back into the hobby buying the essential stuff like batteries, charger, and radio.  I'm already thinking of getting a Monster Beetle next.

In the past I have had a Lunchbox, Hornet and Wild Dagger.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...