GTodd

Terra Scorcher 2020!!

May be of interest to somebody, we actually ran some GPS speed tests today on thundershot based buggies including my daughters new built re-re terra scorcher and we got these results:

1) My Terra Scorcher fitted with a (now well used and needing rebuild) Reedy 19T spec motor, 13T pinion, Novak Rooster ESC and 8.4v NiCD - 25mph

2) My daughters new Terra Scorcher (all new components that still need some running in) with a new Tamiya Super Stock RR 23T motor, 15T pinion, Modelsport Sniper ESC and 7.2v - 19mph

3) Bone stock and well thrashed thundershot on 540 silver can, 15T pinion and 7.2v NiCD - 16mph

NOTE: All buggies were running 2.2 inch wheels and tyres, not the stock (and much smaller diameter) stock wheels and tyres.

One thing we did notice is that my Terra Scorcher tracked straight as an arrow at 25mph over a 200 yard stretch of smooth'ish tarmac with no need to touch the stick at all whereas my Daughters new Terra Scorcher was very skittish and needed alot of correction with the stick to keep it in a straight line. This was causing her some distress. It was not servo trim, we ruled that out but her Terra Scorcher tended to randomly veer to one side or other at full speed. Looking at the cars side by side it seems that my TS sits lower, has more front toe in, has more camber on all wheels, is heavier and is fitted with an expensive metal geared servo. Not sure which of these differences made it track so much better though. We'd need to go through one by one on her car until we find the cure. 

Having said that, her car slaughtered me on the postal racing challenge so handling at high speed is not always that critcal LOL

10 hours ago, mud4fun said:

My middle Daughter (aged 16) completed here re-re Terra Scorcher yesterday other than painting the cockpit/drivers head. She thoroughly enjoyed the build, didn't really have any issues with chassis other than struggling to get a circlip in place and needed me to put it on for her. I painted the shell for her and helped her with the four large decals as she was really struggling to get them lined up and bent around the edges with creasing.

She is running a Tamiya super sport RR motor in it at the moment with a Modelsport Sniper ESC and futaba 2.4Ghz radio

The original wheels and tyres have been put away for safe keeping and a new set of DF03 2.2 inch white wheels and schumacher 2.2 inch mini pin spikes have been fitted for use in the garden.

1047743830_new_terror_scorcher(4).thumb.jpg.f6d30fd72473dcd7507c909a9bb12f48.jpg

Also shown here is our current operational thundershot based fleet

and yes, the crawler is a heavily modified thundershot!

We like these buggies :-)

The black thundershot is my youngest daughters, the white thundershot and terra scorcher are my middle daughters and the crawler and purple/green iridescent terra scorcher is mine.

265447285_new_terror_scorcher(1).thumb.jpg.2b4167a9efc257af866061999bb17fd4.jpg

Could do with Tamia re-releasing the thundershot as I'd like to get some new shells and stickers.

I saw the three pictures and it's beautiful work. Could you provide some specifics on the tires. I just finished my Terra Scorcher (first new build in 30 years for my grandchildren) and I love the look of those tires. Many thanks 😊 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MrBlz said:

I saw the three pictures and it's beautiful work. Could you provide some specifics on the tires. I just finished my Terra Scorcher (first new build in 30 years for my grandchildren) and I love the look of those tires. Many thanks 😊 

Yes, the tyres are all Schumacher 2.2 inch buggy tyres (mounted on Tamiya DF03 2.2 inch wheels in black or white). All the buggies in this picture are fitted with the Schumacher mini pin spikes in blue compound. However we also run full spikes and also tarmac tyres from Schumacher too. The advantage with using 2.2 inch wheels is that there are plenty of aftermarket tyres available and they are cheap. A pair of schumacher tyres from Modelsport UK is approx £7 (half or less than that of what you'd pay for Original Tamiya thundershot tyres).

Schumacher do four compounds, blue=hard, yellow=medium, green=soft wet, silver=soft dry (I think, you'd need to confirm)

We find blue compound works best for us, great for bashing and messing around in the garden or even doing races as long as we are all on same tyre.

The tyres we use the most are (rear and front)

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/schumacher-mini-spike-rears-blue-2-2/rc-car-products/2297

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/schumacher-mini-spike-fronts-blue-2-2/rc-car-products/2290

NOTE: You will not be able to fit these to thundershot or terra scorcher wheels, you would need to buy new 2.2 inch wheels, wide 4WD rear and narrow 4WD fronts

NOTE2: You will need foams/inserts to fit in the tyres, these are roughly £1 each and can often be re-used when changing tyres. You'll need Front or Rears to match your tyres. We use:

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/schumacher-rear-foam-tyre-insert-med-1pr-/rc-car-products/29248

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/schumacher-front-4wd-foam-tyre-insert-med-1pr-/rc-car-products/29249

• Thanks 2