Grastens

Tamiya 58678 - Comical Avante (GF-01CB)

In light of the announcement of the Comical Avante on the GF-01CB chassis (verification by TC member Mokei Kagaku), I feel a release like this merits its own discussion.

The arrival of the Comical Avante seems a good time to assess the impression left by the Comical Buggy series, as well as interpret Tamiya's reaction to the lineup. Does the arrival of an Avante version confirm the success of the series, and/or is it simply due course for a classic buggy-themed product line to incorporate an Avante? How will the enthusiast reaction compare to other Avante-themed models, like the Aero Avante or Mk.II? Will it feature any bespoke parts new to this model?

My estimate is that many will want to see some unique parts for the Comical Avante to stay more faithful to the original, but will be disappointed should it arrive with standard wheels and/or tires and plain plastic dampers. If a Wild Willy figure can fit, a few enterprising enthusiasts might customize a Paranoid Perry version - it would be a bit of a surprise if the release is issued with those style decals for the driver as stock.

In any case, it is all speculation until we see pictures! News of this particular release was sufficiently stunning to bring me back out of my RC exile, and might yet begin anew the cycle of starting a new ambitious project and failing to finish it... Ah, the pursuit :P

• Like 4

Wondered where you had got to.

Have you grown an epic hedge of a beard and got a thousand yard stare gained during the period of exile?

• Haha 2

thought Grastens got awoken by the paparazzi hoards... when Her Maj exported her favourite red haired grandson and his beloved new wife off to the polar bear colonies? :) 

9 minutes ago, Nicadraus said:

An Avante should be 4WD. This one is RWD.

It is 4wd.

2 minutes ago, toyolien said:

It is 4wd.

Oh sorry. I didn't see the front axles.

My eyes just deceived me. Haha!

2 minutes ago, TWINSET said:

It's a GF-01 chassis this time, as per

top.jpg

Now that is nice!!!

On 1/28/2020 at 3:05 PM, Superluminal said:

Wondered where you had got to.

Have you grown an epic hedge of a beard and got a thousand yard stare gained during the period of exile?

I have been growing a beard ever since I last logged onto the boards - and still barely stubble :P

16 hours ago, WillyChang said:

thought Grastens got awoken by the paparazzi hoards... when Her Maj exported her favourite red haired grandson and his beloved new wife off to the polar bear colonies? :) 

I must have been awoken by the footfalls of the excited Avante enthusiasts rushing to see the latest one ;)

12 hours ago, TWINSET said:

@Mokei Kagaku got the pic;

83230136_2527724010687853_45057056259293

I should have seen the Paranoid Perry homage coming for the new driver figure Tamiya is putting in their Comical Buggy series. The presentation of the finished model is quite attractive - I feel Tamiya did a nice job capturing the feel of the Avante in this hilarious form. I thought the use of the original-style rear wing was a nice touch, though a quick look seems to show that this is common practice for all the Comical Buggy entries thus far.

And hey, staggered wheel widths! I bet this rig turns in better than the original :P The tires are a good choice for general bashing, and having the yellow wheel rims and black centres is a good homage.

I surmise that trimming a bit more bodyshell just underneath the 'Diablo Engineering' decal will help it look even more like an Avante, but the coverage of the mechanicals by the shell is impressive for a chassis using existing components.

Upon first impression, I like it a lot - I wonder when I will be getting my mitts on one... to paint up like my dearly-departed Black Special ;)

Edit: and now I hear the shell will be pre-painted. Well, nothing wrong with the stock Avante look!

The more I look at it, I think it might have minor changes to the GF-01 chassis. Nothing on my models matches that front area just above the bumper in the GF01cb pics. There are four unused mounting points. I've squinted and squinted but it really doesn't look like an additional piece, but rather part of the chassis itself. Then in the back, just below the rear mount of the GF01 chassis, this GF01cb appears to have a screw hole near where the antenna arm connects. I can match up the most of the holes to the GF01, but then the GF01cb parts have extra screws (that don't appear to match the WR02cb parts). Or I've just been staring at photos too long :wacko:

Good photo of the rear section: 

https://tamiyablog.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/01/20200129_093158_tamiyablog.jpg

Sideways photo of the front:

https://tamiyablog.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/01/wp-1580293854058.jpg

GF02cb.png.67ce43fbea481379c005278db0e8a5ef.png

I think there's a new sprue for "halo/body mount", dunno if it's the same as what's used on WR02CB.

The WR02 has pseudo "chassis rails" bars that go on the sides of chassis, the GF01 doesn't but with minor fettling these "chassis rails" (which are supplied in kit, not used) can be grafted onto GF01. They don't really do anything useful as they're not required to locate the body posts, they just make GF01 look more like WR02 cosmetically. 

Is there a price on this yet? Need to decide whether it falls into the 'it's growing on me - hmm, maybe' or 'badword no' camps ;-)

49 minutes ago, Barnoid said:

Is there a price on this yet? Need to decide whether it falls into the 'it's growing on me - hmm, maybe' or 'badword no' camps ;-)

Suggested retail price in Germany is EUR 199,99, which is EUR 20,00 more than the suggested retail price for the "regular" GF-01 kits. Considering that the GF-01CB comes with CVA's and not the friction shocks of the GF-01, I think the price is reasonable.

Since the first comical one (grasshopper) I've been thinking I'd like to build one but i was never a fan of the current line up nothing against the actual original buggies they are all brilliant! But this avante is the first one I've thought I really like it:rolleyes:! But I don't know why?, I like it so if funds permitting it might be my next build if its available sooner rather than later but If it's a late arrival the moment may pass together with the kit itself!

A description from TamiyaUSA (note that they call the chassis the GF-01CN - probably a typo):

"The Tamiya series of comical buggies has been a great hit among fans of radio control modeling. It’s a fun and unique chassis combined with bodies re-imagining Tamiya classic names in polycarbonate. Now, the next model is here and not only does it feature a brand-new subject in the shape of the Comical Avante, it also introduces another new chassis variant, the GF-01CN!

• 1/10 scale R/C model assembly kit.
• Stylized polycarbonate comical Avante body and wing.
• The body is pre-painted in PS-16 Metallic Blue.
• Driver figure included.
• Bumper and muffler parts included, with two types of headlight/foglamps.
• Separately sold LEDs can be used to light up the model front and rear.
• New ST block bubble tires have stepped block patterns (width/diameter: front 45/99mm, rear 55/99mm).
• GF-01 variant chassis with tweaked frame components to allow attachment of dedicated parts.
• Gear-driven 4-wheel drive system.
• ABS two-part wheels are molded in yellow (rims) and dark gray (spokes).
• CVA oil dampers ensure superior suspension dampening.
• A rear wheelie bar lets you perform thrilling wheelies by slamming on the throttle.
• Note: Bubble front tires from previous comical buggy releases are not compatible with this kit.
• Includes Tamiya 540-motor.
• Includes: Tamiya TBLE-02S ESC (electronic speed control) Capable of running sensor brushless motors and brushed motors alike. (21.5 Turn BL motor limit) (23 Turn brushed motor limit)
• Required Items: 2-Channel radio, steering servo, 7.2volt battery pack with compatible charger.
• NOTE: Must use round type stick battery pack. Square shaped batteries will not fit the battery compartment."

It is interesting that TamiyaUSA notes the other Comical Buggies' front tires' lack of compatibility with the Comical Avante. The inclusion of headlights and tail lights is intriguing (I seem to remember seeing front bumper-mounted lights at some point), while specifying oil-filled dampers (as noted before) is quite welcome! I suppose no Avante would be using friction dampers, excepting the SU-01 Aero Avante - I personally liked their ease-of-use if not their performance...

Still, plenty of reasons to like this one! Having stalled numerous times on builds during the painting process, I am starting to warm to the idea of a pre-painted shell. I would still be interested in a clear body set, but getting one running in short order following the chassis build would be nice.

2 hours ago, Grastens said:

It is interesting that TamiyaUSA notes the other Comical Buggies' front tires' lack of compatibility with the Comical Avante.

It's a 4WD buggy so the front tires are wider than the other 2WD comical buggies.

Dunno about the tyres but the 2WD front wheels have a shallower dish, might have clearance issues behind.