Grastens

Tamiya 58678 - Comical Avante (GF-01CB)

I like it and don't feel cheap at all....it just screams Tamiya. I'm in the middle of a Schumacher Mi1v2 build and although it is precise and slop free, it just isn't Tamiya enough. Too much final fit and finish by the end user. With Tamiya the design dictates the final product. However inept the builder. You can't build a tamiya badly. The Schumacher just doesn't do it for me, even though it's technically a better vehicle. 

• Like 4

(double post)

Pre-orders are appearing online for $182 US; Tower Hobbies is one such vendor that will be carrying them at this price.

I have some mixed feelings about this price, knowing that the same site will be carrying the re-released Terra Scorcher for just $10.50 more, but at the same time realizing that the two provide very different experiences!

A new promotional video for the Comical Avante is now out:

Of interest are the LEDs attached to the front bumper. It pairs nicely with the Tamiya Comical Frog that appears in this video!

I have one on order. Bearing have arrived.

The only other thing I am looking at it the high torque servo saver and arm. The alloy arm is horrendously expensive for what it is.

Any hop-up suggestions from there’s who have built this chassis in another guise?

The included ball connectors for the lower arms are best replaced with longer 8mm versions

On my gf01 the short ones would pull out and would need epoxying in

• Thanks 1

First post. Back after a 35 year hiatus due to quarantine and kids starting to get into rc cars now. Anyway, ordered on 5/1 from asiatees. Impressively arrived in Cali 5/7. Only option for delivery was fedex and shipping was 50 dollars. Still came in at 185 total which is same as ordering stateside w/o tax. 

Was really impressed with he quality of parts, assembly instructions, and organization, although there were some minor mistakes in the instruction manual. Is that common? There were also a lot of unused parts which I guess are used for the different models using the same chassis. 

Overall was a really fun build. Big thanks to everyone on here for sucking me back in.. haha

ul5zGexl.jpg

PdK86yXl.jpg

vANotA3l.jpg

BDLbbril.jpg

sU2C5KQl.jpg

p8LqMa8l.jpg

• Like 1

Nice to see one built up! Mine is en route; the excitement mounts... ^_^

Holy long front body posts Batman :lol:. They may need trimming, well spotted on the instruction sheet, I've never noticed anything like that before, wonder if there are others

was thinking about one of these( well 2) Whats up with the wheelies? Do they drive normally or are they wheelie bugs? This is why i dont have a wiilys

Normally Tamiya issue an addendum sheet with the kit or download pdf, I'm sure little errors have cropped up over the years.....

I have an original thundershot manual with an error I'll try and find (can't remember exactly what is is now) but I'm sure they just corrected it on later prints.......

18 hours ago, Finnsllc said:

was thinking about one of these( well 2) Whats up with the wheelies? Do they drive normally or are they wheelie bugs? This is why i dont have a wiilys

The wheelies aren't bad if you set the wheelie bar to low.  It wheelies for a sec when taking off from a stop but then settles down. The bigger issue for me is rolling over when turning at speed. I lowered the ride height and took the spacers out of the shocks which helped a little. Going to order the longer wheel axles to see if it helps further. 

Is there a front universal swing shaft for the GF-01CB?   As you know the car uses the suspension arms from the WR-01CB so the rear swing shafts from that car are a direct fit.  The front dog bones from the GF-01CB are 3mm longer than the rear so I'm assuming the rear swing shafts would be too short.  I don't have a Comical Avante  but I want to try it's front suspension on an MF-01x.

On 1/13/2021 at 7:08 AM, manny said:

Is there a front universal swing shaft for the GF-01CB?   As you know the car uses the suspension arms from the WR-01CB so the rear swing shafts from that car are a direct fit.  The front dog bones from the GF-01CB are 3mm longer than the rear so I'm assuming the rear swing shafts would be too short.  I don't have a Comical Avante  but I want to try it's front suspension on an MF-01x.

@manny I know your question is a few months old, but I'm just building up a GF-01CB and am comfortably using the 46mm swing shafts from the #53847 pack. I've also had to use the stub axle end from the #54394 WR-02 set so that I can use the longer 9mm hexes. Here's a pic of the 46mm shafts on the front. Hope this helps.

1N9JCik.jpg

• Like 3

Hello everyone. I have brand new sealed in box Comical Avante. If you are in the US and  looking for one, please PM me