kid168

Whats a good color to paint the Super Astute?

Cant decide what color to paint the Super Astute... Or should I just stick with box art color? Help

The colour you like most. Me I'd do it either mattalic orange or bronze. Box art rarely appeals to me.

• Like 1

What about GREEN !  :blink: :huh:

img35714_30122013154315_2_1100_.jpg

Red, Orange, Yellow will clash with the war-paint and wing decals !  Now Purple or Metallic Purple would make that war-paint pop !

• Like 1

What do you think of ps51 purple anodize or ps35 violet blue or ps18 metallic purple??

I find this one absolutely gorgeous. Found on the Tamiya club website itself, in the showroom of the member F2 stu.

It's said to be based on the junior Black Special edition (mini 4wd), and I think he dod a great job!

If I had a Super Astute I would probably do something similar, although in this case I find the box art white almost as beautiful.

At the end of the day, whatever colour that can bring those decals to life!

img38252_01082013213442_1_1100_.jpg

• Like 3

20 hours ago, kid168 said:

What do you think of ps51 purple anodize or ps35 violet blue or ps18 metallic purple??

I love that colour. This is my TRF201 with an Azarashi Quracca body with custom orange tamiya decals. Not a Super Astute, but it's rear motor 2wd!

20180714_145308

• Like 1

Oddly enough I just realised in the last 10 minutes that I want a Super Astute, and preferably before they all disappear again.  And actually one of the few cars I would consider going box-art on.

Then I remembered that actually if I get one I will race it, and there is bound to be another SA in boxart colours, so no, I'd do my own scheme.

OP - the question to ask is - will you keep the stock decals, or make new ones?  The fluro colours on the stock decals will limit your colour options if you don't want to clash.  However MCI Decals will print you a set in custom colours to suit whatever paint scheme you like.

https://mciracing.ca/products/blank-a3e339f2-23f5-4152-99fd-edd5136a9d75

• Like 1

I'm always a fan of a gun metal colour all the different bodies I've done in different shades of gun metal/metallic grey have looked very good!

14 hours ago, moffman said:

I'm always a fan of a gun metal colour all the different bodies I've done in different shades of gun metal/metallic grey have looked very good!

How do you make metallic black with Tamiya PS paints?

7 hours ago, kid168 said:

How do you make metallic black with Tamiya PS paints?

Tamiya black backed with ps63 bright gun metal is what I did with the avante BS really looked good in the sun👍

Back in the day ('89-90?) I raced an Astute painted a metallic "cherry" red. Worked very well with this body. I dont remember what I was mixing to get to that but it was an apple-like metallic dark red with some purple in it. Sorry for the vague description.

On 2/1/2020 at 4:53 PM, moffman said:

Tamiya black backed with ps63 bright gun metal is what I did with the avante BS really looked good in the sun👍

How many coats of black before hitting the PS63?

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, kid168 said:

How many coats of black before hitting the PS63?

Just enough so it looks black but when you put it up to the light you can see through it, black is a very prominent colour so the light grey doesn't really show through but the metallic in it does make sure the black is even all through the body so one coat at a time! 

My compromise on this great box art design and a touch of custom would be PS57 Pearl White, to get a little sparkling in it, as all the 90´s Tamiya top of the line buggies had metallic colors.;)

I motivated my best friend to do so, unfortunately he hadn´t the time to assemble his so far, so I have no pic here...

1 hour ago, Xeostar said:

I did mine in metallic black.

Super Astute.jpg

Loving the bling, any pics how you mounted the Avante driver? Great idea.

On 1/31/2020 at 4:31 AM, graemevw said:

Black with added pink wheels is great on these. My original getting some use...

FB-IMG-1563128418261.jpgmeal prep amarillo tx

Great pic graeme, good that yours is not only a shelf queen, and Shows it´s potential on the track!

• Like 2