KalEl63

Best Rally Chassis

Sorry if this has been asked before but I'm looking for another project as my CR-01 is nearly done and I am wondering what people think of the different rally chassis out there Tamiya wise

I have been looking at the XV-01 but keen to hear others thoughts

• Like 2

XV-01.  Anyone that tries to tell you a TT-01 or 2 can be made into a solid rally chassis isn't lying, but in the end a XV-01 will run circles around it right out of the box.

• Like 3

Yes this is something I’m keen to know too (to be able to go rallying with @KalEl63 ). Obviously the XV01 seems the logical choice, but how much better than say a TT02 build up for rally? Based on price v price which stack up as the better value for money?

**Edit @78Triumph has just answered it I guess

***2nd edit - let’s see some pics of your builds 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, mtbkym01 said:

Yes this is something I’m keen to know too (to be able to go rallying with @KalEl63 ). Obviously the XV01 seems the logical choice, but how much better than say a TT02 build up for rally? Based on price v price which stack up as the better value for money?

**Edit @78Triumph has just answered it I guess

***2nd edit - let’s see some pics of your builds 

The front weight bias of the XV-01 isn't comparable to any other chassis.  To get a TT-02 to keep up with it you'll end up spending the same if not more than a box stock XV-01 which really needs no upgrades, and even then you'll struggle to match it.  The only thing I've done to my XV-01 is upgrade to the aluminum suspension arm mounts.  I'm still running the original belt after two years of solid use. 

• Like 2

XV01 is the only real option.

The only time I'd go for something else is if you want to do massive "unrealistic" jumps, in which case you want something with a rear weight bias (which will be crap for drifting/sliding and unrealistic to rally). 

People will tell you get a TT02, but you'll spend alot of money on a TT02, probably more than what a XV01 costs, and it still won't handle anything like the XV01. 

If your interested in rally, then your interested in scale realism, the XV01 is the only chassis on the market that comes close to giving a realistic driving experience. For that matter, its a superior gymkhana chassis to anything else out there as well. 

the XV01 is a highly versatile chassis, it has almost all the tuning possibilitys of a TRF Racing touring car, but in a package that can handle both on road and realistic off road driving.  

• Like 4

It also looks like the xv01 Long Damper spec is due for a rerelease this year - perfect timing

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Superluminal said:

It also looks like the xv01 Long Damper spec is due for a rerelease this year - perfect timing

I did not know that.  I'm saving up from today.  

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Superluminal said:

The corner of it was just visible in the nuremberg photos

Yeah has been confirmed. Looks to be a limited release as well. 

James.

I think that TB05 could make interesting rally chassis. All gears are covered and it can be built with front and rear weight bias. I'm just not sure how much ride height could be achieved with TRF419 suspension. Old reversible arms on my TB03 could reach 25mm with some filing around C-hubs and removal of downstops.

I've got the TT-02 as I couldn't quite stretch to the XV01 and I have to say the amount of wheel travel up and down is very disappointing. I would say the TT-02 is a lot of fun and all, but it would be a lot easier to go for the XV01 right from the start.

• Like 1

Everyone wants to try to reinvent the wheel trying to convert non-rally spec cars and make them something they're not.  Seriously, the XV-01 is it. 

• Like 1

TB05 diffs are too weak for rally use. They might be ok with upgrades and mild motors.

The XV01 is a perfect rally car. Mine has been run on every surface imaginable and has been a tank. I've tried other rally chassis and conversions, and there's nothing even close.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, 78Triumph said:

Everyone wants to try to reinvent the wheel trying to convert non-rally spec cars and make them something they're not.  Seriously, the XV-01 is it. 

XV01 is maybe best rally car out of box, but it's not that better than non-rally cars. For example, long onroad arms can achieve better articulation, i needed pretty extensive mods to achieve same level with XV01 arms..

It depends, what you enjoy - driving stock car or building and modding? For me, it's second choice.

39 minutes ago, Honza said:

XV01 is maybe best rally car out of box, but it's not that better than non-rally cars.

This is sort of a contradiction in itself, but I understand for people that like to tinker they might want to try a different chassis, but the topic at hand is best rally chassis.

2 hours ago, Honza said:

XV01 is maybe best rally car out of box, but it's not that better than non-rally cars. For example, long onroad arms can achieve better articulation, i needed pretty extensive mods to achieve same level with XV01 arms..

XV-01 may or may not be better, depending on what a person wants, but it sure is different.

The front-mounted motor is somewhat  unusual. While it is challenging to tune (at least for me) it is novel and fun compared to more common chassis layouts. 

7 hours ago, 78Triumph said:

This is sort of a contradiction in itself

I meant, that difference between XV01 and non-rally is not that big, except for sealed electronics there's nothing what makes it much better rally car than any other onroad with lifted suspension. It even gets jammed steering by rocks, just like my "non-rally" TB03. But I agree with @smirk-racing, front motor makes it a bit different.

Best rally car is one with long arms ( and drive shafts), long dampers an front biased, but centered weight. Sealed drivetrain and electronics is a plus. XV01 is close, but not quite there.

Looks like the XV-01 is on my list since it sound capable out of the box as I’m not keen on having to modify something too much 

is the long damper kit a better option....more ground clearance?

24 minutes ago, KalEl63 said:

Looks like the XV-01 is on my list since it sound capable out of the box as I’m not keen on having to modify something too much 

is the long damper kit a better option....more ground clearance?

I don't believe there is more ground clearance bit there is more damper travel. Someone with more experience will post soon. 

I'll be controversial now. If you wanted something smaller and cheaper..an M05-RA?

4 hours ago, Honza said:

I meant, that difference between XV01 and non-rally is not that big, except for sealed electronics there's nothing what makes it much better rally car than any other onroad with lifted suspension. It even gets jammed steering by rocks, just like my "non-rally" TB03. But I agree with @smirk-racing, front motor makes it a bit different.

Best rally car is one with long arms ( and drive shafts), long dampers an front biased, but centered weight. Sealed drivetrain and electronics is a plus. XV01 is close, but not quite there.

To each their own.  Best rally car out of the box is the XV-01 currently.  The front motor makes it drive and handle unlike any other chassis out there.  That's the key difference.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, 78Triumph said:

To each their own.  Best rally car out of the box is the XV-01 currently. 

Not arguing with that. I'm just saying, that there are cars in tamiya line with bigger potential. But that's just my opinion after 10 years of building cars for rally :)

5 hours ago, Honza said:

there are cars in tamiya line with bigger potential.

What is your favorite rally design? Curious to read about it. Please post pics if you can.