Saito2

Does the re-release experience spark nostalgia for you?

this is an old thread and sorry for bringing it back but honestly how can they not, sure your attitudes and experiences have changed but if you loved them back then chances are  you'd love them now. I remember like it was yesterday the enjoyment of getting a grasshopper for christmas, building it, and then repairing it and from there it just took off....really regret having sold all of my old cars, got back into it with a few Associated cars, missed my opportunity to get a reissue RC10, but now actively looking at either an Avante, Astute, or Egress...I owned an Astute and it wasn't the most competitive car but I loved building it....and I always wanted an Egress or Avante. The only non Tamiya reissue I'd love is a JRx2 but that is because I had the opportunity to get one instead of an RC10 but opted against it as everyone raced the associated car and I felt it would be easier to dial in.

16 minutes ago, Bozack said:

this is an old thread and sorry for bringing it back but honestly how can they not, sure your attitudes and experiences have changed but if you loved them back then chances are  you'd love them now. I remember like it was yesterday the enjoyment of getting a grasshopper for christmas, building it, and then repairing it and from there it just took off....really regret having sold all of my old cars, got back into it with a few Associated cars, missed my opportunity to get a reissue RC10, but now actively looking at either an Avante, Astute, or Egress...I owned an Astute and it wasn't the most competitive car but I loved building it....and I always wanted an Egress or Avante. The only non Tamiya reissue I'd love is a JRx2 but that is because I had the opportunity to get one instead of an RC10 but opted against it as everyone raced the associated car and I felt it would be easier to dial in.

since you've asked the question 'how can they not',  then I'll give you my opinion on it.
  I'm old enough to remember the days long before Tamiya had started re-releasing their older kits.
 And for me, a HUGE part of the thrill of the collecting side of the hobby, was the hunt !!
 Finding stuff locally, trawling internet sites (I've been an eBay member since the 90s) all time spent trying to find bargains was to me, time very well spent 
 So, to then all of a sudden be faced with the prospect of it being as simple as going to you local hobby shop, or a website, and placing an order, took away a large part of what made collecting old RC cars fun. For me.
  I got to a point where it really frustrated me. so I scaled back (har har) my collecting for a few years there.
 But, actually now, I'm more at a point where I can still play at hunt the part online when I need to, but conversely I'm not so mega frustrated anymore trying to find some parts that were once very expensive if you could even find them.
   So, in summary, I'm not a fan of re-releases (and I really dislike the term Re-Re), but I can see they have huge value within the hobby, and have most certainly taken advantage of that myself :-)

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, stulec52 said:

since you've asked the question 'how can they not',  then I'll give you my opinion on it.
  I'm old enough to remember the days long before Tamiya had started re-releasing their older kits.
 And for me, a HUGE part of the thrill of the collecting side of the hobby, was the hunt !!
 Finding stuff locally, trawling internet sites (I've been an eBay member since the 90s) all time spent trying to find bargains was to me, time very well spent 
 So, to then all of a sudden be faced with the prospect of it being as simple as going to you local hobby shop, or a website, and placing an order, took away a large part of what made collecting old RC cars fun. For me.
  I got to a point where it really frustrated me. so I scaled back (har har) my collecting for a few years there.
 But, actually now, I'm more at a point where I can still play at hunt the part online when I need to, but conversely I'm not so mega frustrated anymore trying to find some parts that were once very expensive if you could even find them.
   So, in summary, I'm not a fan of re-releases (and I really dislike the term Re-Re), but I can see they have huge value within the hobby, and have most certainly taken advantage of that myself :-)

I can see and respect this but I think as you noted they bring in a different buying group as there are those who either won't bother looking for parts, cars, or projects, or people like me who like seeing the kit in the plastic and packaging and going through the motions of getting to build another new one from the box.

I also don't think the re releases has killed finding parts and building its just as you said a different question at that point as to if the effort is worth it.

and you're not alone in your dislike of the term "re-re"

Totally for me.  Partially because I had a decent grab bag of cars available in the house.  My first ever kit was a Monogram Mad Wolf which I think I promptly shorted out/melted.  Barely remember.  Then I owned a Blackfoot, Fire Dragon, Astute...my brother had a Hornet, a Kyosho Turbo Optima Mid.  Around the neighborhood were hilux, grasshoppers, fox, hotshot, etc.  Not to mention I spent more time gawking over the MRC catalog.  Nice big quality color photos of all the Tamiya kits available.  Drooling over the Avante and other high end cars I'd likely never have.

But the Blackfoot was the first car I put together myself.  And in the last week I just built a re-re blackfoot, a car I hadn't touched in ~30 years.  Some of it I don't remember, but I do distinctly remember several steps where I had to use pliers to hold a nut down and a screwdriver to tighten, and I remember the steering rods being a total PITA to snap on, especially when that front body mount tower was attached.  It all came rushing back to me.  And when I finally applied all the decals to the body and held in my hand a car that I loved to bash when I was 12, I was REALLY nostalgic.  And I was excited because my 11 year old's jaw dropped when he saw the finished product.  He now prefers to run the Blackfoot over his racing fighter.  It's been awesome getting back into it.  It's as fun as I remember.

For me they do. The only Tamiya I had as a child was  Hornet,  they were an expensive toy. My parents weren't overly flush with money, so I had to save up and buy my Hornet 2nd hand off a kid at school. A roughly treated buggy with a hand painted, on the outside, body in dark green and red. I replaced this with a Parma chevy pickup body. Yeah...probably an odd choice.

A few of my friends had Tamiya cars, but to be fair most of my exposure to the models was through the magazines of the day. So the rere'd cars are close enough that I can't really tell any difference. 

It wasn't until recently I learnt that the sponsor decals were changed on some of the models. I assumed the rere'd cars were identical. It doesn't bother me in the slightest. Probably because I wasn't that intimate with the models 1st time round.

I did preserve the original decals on a Monster beetle recently though. That was more of a cost cutting exercise to be fair. 

Either way rerelease cars are good for my soul.

• Like 1

Tamiya made the cars I knew about and had seen, but didn't have when I was a kid. I knew about Kyosho, but few people I knew had one. Tower Hobbies pushed Kyosho relentlessly, which made me suspicious, especially as we never saw their cars in local shops. Associated seemed impossibly exotic at the time. I knew them from magazine ads but I probably never saw an RC10 in real life.

Tamiya seemed more accessible. Frogs and Grasshoppers, and a little later, the Hotshot. At the time, we honestly thought that they were state of the art. 

At the same time, as someone pointed out, newer buggies and truggies are unspeakably ugly, at least compared with a Frog or Wild One. IMHO, newer cars don't look like off-road vehicles so much as off-road vehicles designed by and for bros or WWE enthusiasts.

• Like 1

I took a few days to decide if I would post on this topic. As i sit in my garage at my workbench, I have found that I dont really find myself thinking about what once was but rather that I have the ability now(at 46) to enjoy what i always enjoyed which was the building. In 1984 when I talked my dad into buying me a FROG, the hobby shop that it came from built the car for us/me. My dad isnt mechanical and while its not his fault building was not his thing, he was and is a white collar guy and just assumed paying the money to get it done. As i grew older i only wanted to build. So two years later if im correct I was surprised by a MONSTER BEETLE in my fathers car trunk, I think he forgot it was in there. But, I remember going to the dining room table and organizing all the bags and trees. It was the first thing i sat and focused on in order to get the "prize". Time passes, we mature, we gain responsibility, we remember, yet somehow for me i didnt come back to rc until many years later. I have three wonderful children and a wife that i would lay down in traffic for. Time was spent basically growing up, doing what is normal, working, saving, fixing. All those things come to a point where now I can go back and enjoy the rc hobby. I have more money, more time, more logical reasoning, and have spent 30 years building things. This corona thing has given me a ton of time. I spent alot of it building rc cars. I had bought one or two over the years and had fun. I bought three for my kids to play with. I built them and they got a fun time. But again i wont say its nostagia. Ill say its an excuse for me to sit and focus on something that i enjoy doing. I love building the cars. Ive built a NEO FIGHTER, TOP FORCE, SAND VIPER, SUBURU BRAT, CITROEN 2CV RALLY and am getting ready to do a DN-01 ZAHHAK this week. All while under the lockdown here in the USA. Ive spent a ton of money and have now spent more going to lipo. Waiting for that to be delivered. I bought a modern controller that can operate 10 cars. ive chosen paint and ordered stickers and enjoyed every second of it. Hey, I have time. I believe the rc world is a small place. If you are in it you never truely leave. You just have gaps. But those gaps create other opportunities that lend themselves to better options in the future. Now that im back and building im going to keep building. Maybe one day ill buy the FROG rere that i have been advoiding buying. Although i did grab  a Brat just to relive the chassis. My two boys over the last month have joined the party with a KHARMANN GHIA and a SUPER SHOT. Maybe cause of the lockdown maybe they will continue the interest and we can all build together. Who knows. i enjoy this hobby, i enjoy the people that i talk to over the forums. Didnt have that back in the 80s. Seeing the showrooms and getting ideas or paint scemes. This is all what this is about. Learning, being creative, having a goal. I dont think its about nostalgia. Just about we, who do this, dont look at it as " never growing up" just its an awesome past time. We can sit on a project for years and not get dicouraged. I have a DB-01 RRR that i havent gotten right yet. Ive had it for years, ill get it done but in the meantime ill continue to have fun with iits and motors and brushless and knowing when to fast is to fast, lipos and lexan and masking and doing my best to finish a project that im happy with. And hey, if i mess it up? I can buy another body and start over like i did with my TOP FORCE. So, sorry if this seems long and pointless but i will say the rc hobby has always come through. Its somethimg i hope to be enjoying years from now weather i have a gap or two along the way. Gotta go, need to lay another clearcoat on the BLUE BRAT body. 

• Like 3

I am yet to buy a re release of any description, however I have been posting on another thread my restoration/ modification of my old Thunder Dragon QD.

i have ended up spending far too much doing it, however it was only 50% about the car itself. Yes absolutely nostalgia. To the point I remember all the highs and lows with the car. I have been running crazy modified nitros and Petrol 1/5ths On and off for 20 years, but something about that walking pace thunder dragon had me trawling the internet for 1989 NOS parts. The memories of trips to Beatties with my Dad, dribbling over the Bullhead!

after this rekindled love of Tamiya, will I buy a re release? Probably not, I am an experienced RC guy and Master mechanic, however I will be building a Tamiya based Modified hybrid over the winter. But will source Separate parts so half a kit would be wasted, that’s the only reason.

look out for a Toyan 4 stroke engine in a “lightweight” TXT chassis with a lengthened bullhead shell. Finished off with counter rotating propshafts to prevent the roll. At least that’s what is in my head!!! A bit of research beforehand but that’s what I fancy!