Sign in to follow this  
Reedydriver

Optima / Javelin chain drive

I have an Optima and Turbo Optima, both belt driven. I ride both buggys with brushless system (10.5t and 13.5t respectively). Now the family is extended by the Javelin. This one, however, I will drive with chain drive. Is a 13.5 motor too powerful in this case? Is there a motor limit for the optima series, depending on whether chain or belt drive?
Thanks for the feedback!

Today I could finally try the Javelin with chain drive and 13.5 motor. Wow! Just great! I have been using belt drive in the Optima and Turbo Optima from the beginning and I didn't think the chain drive was that great. Much better than expected. The Javelin with chain drive is awesome!

IMG_20200222_171602.jpg

• Like 5

5 hours ago, Reedydriver said:

Much better than expected. The Javelin with chain drive is awesome!

I would never have guessed. Can you talk a little more about the difference in how the car drove with belt vs chain drive??

I put the buggy into the grass and was very curious to hear the noise that can be heard when driving off. Quieter than I expected, more subtle and somehow cool. Acceleration was great and to my surprise the final speed was very high. Wow, I thought, it is **** fast! Already here I had the impression that the drive train runs very freely. And then came the most impressive thing, the one I least expected: in neutral position the buggy ran completely free - a real pleasure! I was prejudiced before this ride. I thought that the chain is an old system, with a high resistance in the drive train. But this is not so. The buggy runs extremely free! The motor stays at a comfortable temperature!
(Note: I have the same settings on the esc for all my buggies)