CKU87

Tamiya Virus - Planning your collection

Hi everyone!

The whole world talks about the corona virus ... however, the virus that hit me is named Tamiya. Luckily it is not attacking my health but rather my wallet, which still stinks <_<

What I want to know is, how do you plan your collection when looking for new purchases? There are two things which interest me a lot.

Spare parts

First one is spare parts. Do you know from your experience already upfront which sparts will become rare in the future and brake more often? Is there a nice list that shows the weak spots of various Tamiya models, e.g. if you purchase an Avante, get at least an additional front gear box case because you will break yours most likely when running.

Do you purchase spare parts? If yes, only one item or sometimes even more? Or do you sometimes even purchase a complete new second kit, just for the case and potential resale?

I read in one comment that Tamiya is the "Lego" equivalent to RC Cars, which is why I like Tamiya so much by the way. Do you have a, lets call it "General" parts box, that includes all the common pieces which are present in so many Tamiya kits, e.g. Gear Diffs, Screws, tie rods, etc.?

Platform strategy

When you purchase your Tamiya's, do you look out for the platform? For example, would you only purchase a TT01/02 chassis instead of a TA/TRF/TB series car or the M-Series, because you have most of your parts available for TT series which are more likely interchangable? Or you would rather buy an Egress instead of a TRF Buggy because you already have two Avantes which shares the same platform, similar parts, more overlap for spare parts, etc., kind of economies of density?

If so, what was your experience? Did you find out what onroad or offroad chassis family worked out the best for you? Have you ever considered not to buy a new model because it was a whole new chassis design for that reasons?

Don't really know if those questions make sense or if anyone ever had similar thoughts. I still would be happy to hear your thoughts.

:)

• Like 3

Based on funding restrictions I try to avoid buying the same chassis unless I really want the body. I’m trying to have as much chassis variety as possible. I’m mostly on-road with a few off-road and 90% of my collection is NIB. 

• Like 2

I never got into buying a whole chassis as a spare. I hate to think of using just one part and making it incomplete. I try to buy the parts that I assume will break in a normal crash, usually suspension related. No matter how many spares you buy you'll break some random part that you don't have a spare of. There is also wear and tear parts like the drivetrain. Fortunately the internet allows you to find parts relatively easily so you don't really need a huge stockpile. When buying a new car I try to factor in the cost of building up a nice collection of spare parts. At a minimum that would be around $50 USD.

• Like 2

I'm an opportunistic omnivore.  No plans, except for vague wishes.  

p3gOQsC.jpg

I buy whatever is cheap and available at the moment.  I ended up getting 2 used DT03s, just because they were about $70 each.  NIB M05 and Dancing Rider for about $90 each.  But different chassis are more fun. That's how I bought Dancing Rider, even though it's more of a "toy" than a hobby grade RC.    

I don't buy spares (any more).  I got my first Fast Attack Vehicle in 2001. At that time, "re-release" was not a word anybody recognized in RC.  Spare parts were hard to come by.  So I got one spare part after another. Until it was actually re-issued.  This doesn't look like much, but it contains enough parts for at least 2 cars at the cost of $600 or more. (this wasn't the smartest thing I've done)  For that money, I could have bought 3-4 new FAVs.  Lesson learned.

1U0JGUB.jpg

Everybody who can think of tomorrow wants to stock up for tomorrow.  It's a healthy habit when it comes to saving money.  I'm not saying people shouldn't stock up on parts.  But you are most likely to arrive at the same conclusion; It's not worth stocking up.  Tamiya cars are not really known to have one specific weak points.  Like @Otis311 said, you will end up breaking some other part.  Also, RC cars are becoming cheaper when compared to inflation.  

I'd say if you have 2 cars, you can run the other while one awaits a repair.  Most parts will arrive within a week. 

I didn't regret stocking up on are bearings, though.  They are cheap, and I can count on myself to buy more Tamiya kits (more like I can't stop).  I don't buy pre-selected bearing sets because they are 10 times more expensive.  36 sets of $15 bearing sets would have cost me $540 (but I spent about $60).  I pocketed $480 for myself and bought 6 more used RC cars.  And these bearings work just as well as more expensive ones.  If you really want them to run as fast as ABEC 5 bearings, take off the shields and re-lube them with lighter oil.  (besides, ABEC ratings are about the precision, not about the speed)

Q3gE9xS.jpg

These cost about $2 per bag of ten now (it used to be $1 for 10).  It takes 2 weeks from China, which is why I stock up.  Half of these are 1150 bearings and 850 bearings.  The other half are odd ones like servo bearings, 540 motor bearings, 630, 1050, 1060, 1280, etc.  For the price of a couple spare parts, I'd rather have 200 bearings ready to go. That's my personal take on spares.   

• Like 6

I pretty much buy whatever catches my eye; beauty is very subjective.  For me I like the F1, LeMans, and touring releases.  I do consider the chassis and like nylon tubs, FRP, and carbon fiber more than ABS/PC.  I look for actual light buckets instead of stickers.  Sometimes I might buy a second kit to save for the future if I'm really geeked about it.  As a result I'm drawn more towards TA, TB, FF, RM, Group C, and F103/F104 chassis than anything else.  As Tamiya has discounted a lot of their TRF off-road chassis over the years, I've scooped up a few of them on closeout.  The by-product of all this is I have all the Super GT releases on TA05V2 and TB03, all the recent RM01 LeMans releases, and most of the F103GT releases.  There's a sprinkling of Group C and F104W too.  I do have buggies, trucks, and SCTs, but my real love is nicer quality on-road releases with subjects I can relate to.  A lot of my collection, both built and NIB, falls into this category.

• Like 5

T.virus is highly addictive and once infected, yes it can bleed your wallet dry.

It takes heavy toll on the body. Your brain might get addled from all the T.paint and T.glue fumes. Your nails go black from staining by T.molygrease and your eyes grow blackbags from all those late nights spent researching the interwebs or building in nocturnal solitary peacefulness. 

Society used to frown on weirdos outside norm, but now in today's age of acceptance for LBGTXYZRC we aren't such social pariahs anymore. Intervention attempts by loved ones is futile... & ironic as they are often the provider of the initial gift of T.kit! 

There will be times when other life's distractions may relegate T.virus to go dormant... but it'll flare back raging at your next moment of weakness. Often triggered by global seasonal events such as "Nuremberg" and "Shizouka" 

Afflicted individuals can still continue function in society by practising "moderation" (no idea whuzzat?). Others survive by keeping their wallets at home when going out to visit LHS (uhoh ApplePay). Or bringing your wife along to the LHS (oh shoot, now *she* starts stocking up on paintbrushes & crafting tools). Or riding a bicycle to the LHS (well, that sorta worked until somebody invented cargo bikes). Some might use reasoning "I've got more T.kits & T.parts than the LHS!"; the smarter sufferers go open an LHS... to spread the disease to others - Zombie logic.

There is no cure for T.virus except death. Live Long and Persevere! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

I'm drawn towards chassis's that have very little in the way of spares and hop ups. 

It makes the hunt more enjoyable if not more expensive 😳

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, svenb said:

I'm drawn towards chassis's that have very little in the way of spares and hop ups. 

It makes the hunt more enjoyable if not more expensive 😳

maaaaate... you've caught the mutated strain of T.snobby vulgaris

You'll be wanting to go fetch your newfound 934 RSR in your RangeRover :P 

• Haha 3

Platform - This is important. I buy a kit that is first stable, have nice adjustable parts in it and have good spare parts support or availability. I would rather get a TA/TB/TRF/XV kit than a TT. It's always easier to downgrade than upgrade. Less cost too. Like make a TB chassis to a basher or rally car than upgrading a TT chassis which is limited to it's capabilities and will require to spend so much on parts upgrading it just to get at par with a box stock TA/TB. A fully upgraded TT-01/02 for example won't probably keep up with a box stock TB-04/05 or a TA-05/06 on an on-road track. A fully upgraded TT-01/02 won't keep up with a box stock XV-01 on a rally track.

Spare parts - I've stocked parts especially for my FF03 (one for on-road and one for rally) kits. From main chassis, suspension arms, c-hub, knuckles, rear uprights (all of which have in regular plastic and carbon reinforced), gears, gearbox, and a few other parts. I got several of those spares brand new and used (from kits I've bought as spare parts donor). I also have stock extra spares for my CC-01, both new and those that I have replaced with upgrades.

I have another non-Tamiya kit which is the LRP S10. I've upgraded it so many of the stock parts are spares now. The new kit only costs $65 including shipping. So instead of buying individual parts for it, I'd get another full kit as parts donor later. But as of now, the car is pretty sturdy and have been running it as a basher and a rally car during races.

• Like 2

My problem with the Tamiya virus is I’m susceptible to about 75% of the catalogue......

• Haha 4

8 hours ago, WillyChang said:

maaaaate... you've caught the mutated strain of T.snobby vulgaris

You'll be wanting to go fetch your newfound 934 RSR in your RangeRover :P 

No! A lowly porsche is not welcome upon my country estate 

16 hours ago, CKU87 said:

Do you know from your experience already upfront which sparts will become rare in the future and brake more often?

Vintage guy... so my answer is: Pretty much, yes. And I don't bash cars. So I stock up on the basics I care most about: Tyres/Wheels, Mechanical speed controllers, Gears and driveshafts. And where possible, spare bodies and decals. And sometimes, suspension arms. Those are the basic things that can make practically any vintage car seem near-new again.

Never had a need to stockpile spare chassis, as I've never broken one. (And I'm not sure how people do it :D )

Do you purchase spare parts? If yes, only one item or sometimes even more? Or do you sometimes even purchase a complete new second kit, just for the case and potential resale?

• Yes ;)
  • Yes ;)
  • I've never purchased spare kits for parts. To me, kits are for new builds. Sometimes, I have gratefully purchased bargain spare kits that other people had used for parts that were only missing 1 or 2 parts, and then restored those kits back to completion - so that they are ready to be built if I decide to. I always find it fun to do that. 🤔

I read in one comment that Tamiya is the "Lego" equivalent to RC Cars, which is why I like Tamiya so much by the way. Do you have a, lets call it "General" parts box, that includes all the common pieces which are present in so many Tamiya kits, e.g. Gear Diffs, Screws, tie rods, etc.?

No. Because I'm all vintage, all the parts I have are from the era when Tamiya tended to identify them by the car they suited (not chassis). So I have a very specific drawer system where parts live in drawers belonging to "the first car in Tamiya's history that they were suited for".

I also have a pin board mounted to the wall, where spares are hung on display. -_- Hobby shop-ish. Again, all vintage, and the parts are hung according to vintage brand. Yes, OCD :|

Then for the very smallest parts, I use the rare, official Tamiya spare parts containers with the labeled compartments, that were given out to Hobby Shops in the 1980s. I have... 7 of these. Plus some similar containers for other brands.

When you purchase your Tamiya's, do you look out for the platform?

Not really, as I don't really buy much new stuff where "platforms" are the identifying trait. So I don't think about platforms that much, and tend to think of the older cars as each having enough qualities for them to be justified more as unique kits. Hence, I like the variety from the golden era. It felt like Tamiya made more little changes from one car to the next, even if it reused the chassis. Kits felt a bit more special that way. And it was the same with Kyosho and other brands.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Juggular said:

It takes 2 weeks from China, which is why I stock up.  Half of these are 1150 bearings and 850 bearings.  The other half are odd ones like servo bearings, 540 motor bearings, 630, 1050, 1060, 1280, etc.  For the price of a couple spare parts, I'd rather have 200 bearings ready to go. That's my personal take on spares.  

Whereas, I count and analyze the pattern of separators between the inner and outer rings of vintage Tamiya ball bearings, to ensure that if I'm putting some into a car, they are all the same type that came in that type of vintage kit...

Still. At least the endorphin molecules released in my brain, probably look just like the endorphin molecules released in yours. :D Albeit, mine probably form some sort of orderly queue as they flow (chronological I hope).

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, Hibernaculum said:

Whereas, I count and analyze the pattern of separators between the inner and outer rings of vintage Tamiya ball bearings, to ensure that if I'm putting some into a car, they are all the same type that came in that type of vintage kit...

phew, I’m not the only one then. :) 

Like the 1150s where the Metal shields have little notches on the outer edge... those are 1980s and get used in Avante & Bruiser. 

After 1990 the Egress & Mountaineer get blue rubber sealed Tamiya bearings

Modern T kits with ball bearings & T’s factory genuine bearing sets are pretty plain generic steel shields which don’t have any easily identifiable markings... afaik, any advice?

Haven’t seen blue rubber shields for long time now, last remember from TA03 & M03 era. Sad panda. 

• Like 1

I like the idea of relationships between models, so many of my purchases are in some way related to those that came before.

For example, my first F1 was a F103, so I then wanted its successor the F104, it's top-spec version the F103 15th Anniversary Edition, it's odd sibling the F103 Tyrrell 6-wheeler, and I also restored one from basket case status as I wanted the experience of both a new build and a resto.

The TL-01 is another such example, with my fleet featuring a straight TL-01, a TL-01LA and a TL-01B. I also added some of the TL-01's more distant relatives with which it shares suspension, bumper compatibility and basic design philosophy, namely the WR-01, WR-02, WT-01 and G6-01.

I also like the idea of seeing how chassis are developed from version to version, hence having an FF-01, FF-02 and FF-03, as well as the M-chassis from 3 to 7. In addition to this, I like seeing how similar approaches and suspension designs were used for different drivetrains, so my FF-02 has a 4WD relative in the form of the TL-01, my FF-03 has a 4WD relative in the form of a TB-03, and I am looking to add a TA-02 to the fleet as the 4WD relative of my FF-01.

Sometimes the development is evident in design rather than name, so in terms of Tamiya's motor/axle pod chassis I have the Grasshopper, Hornet, Rising Fighter (basically a Super Hornet with a DT-01 gearbox) and a DT-01, which most would argue as the best of the pod chassis buggies in terms of suspension design.

I do have one oddball though that doesn't have any obvious relatives, namely the CC-01, but this will change at some point when I add a CC-02 to the fleet.

• Like 1

On 1/31/2020 at 11:38 PM, WillyChang said:

T.virus is highly addictive and once infected, yes it can bleed your wallet dry.

It takes heavy toll on the body. Your brain might get addled from all the T.paint and T.glue fumes. Your nails go black from staining by T.molygrease and your eyes grow blackbags from all those late nights spent researching the interwebs or building in nocturnal solitary peacefulness. 

Society used to frown on weirdos outside norm, but now in today's age of acceptance for LBGTXYZRC we aren't such social pariahs anymore. Intervention attempts by loved ones is futile... & ironic as they are often the provider of the initial gift of T.kit! 

There will be times when other life's distractions may relegate T.virus to go dormant... but it'll flare back raging at your next moment of weakness. Often triggered by global seasonal events such as "Nuremberg" and "Shizouka" 

Afflicted individuals can still continue function in society by practising "moderation" (no idea whuzzat?). Others survive by keeping their wallets at home when going out to visit LHS (uhoh ApplePay). Or bringing your wife along to the LHS (oh shoot, now *she* starts stocking up on paintbrushes & crafting tools). Or riding a bicycle to the LHS (well, that sorta worked until somebody invented cargo bikes). Some might use reasoning "I've got more T.kits & T.parts than the LHS!"; the smarter sufferers go open an LHS... to spread the disease to others - Zombie logic.

There is no cure for T.virus except death. Live Long and Persevere! 

Haha that’s so true, last time I painted a TT02 chassis and got some paint on my arm. My colleague asked me what happened to me. I was surprised and told him that I did some work at home :) What should I say? That I build a RC Car kit? Sometimes I think they wouldn’t understand at all, but then again there are moments where I think that more people should actually build a kit just to learn some very important basics...planning, patience, etc.

I’m quite happy to have the Tamiya Virus even though my brain nearly exploded trying to learn what kit is compatible with others. I take my hat off to you members that can rattle off what part fits where/ can be used to improve something else of the top of your head. So I find it a lot more enjoyable to just pick up what I like the look of and go from there, then sing out on here for help & advice 😉

I much rather have this virus than the one that seems to have infected my local town big time in the last 18 months or so called ‘Diamond Painting’. Sheets of sticky canvas that you attach coloured beads to the corresponding colour on the canvas, thousands of them literally thousands of them. (bit like painting by numbers without the paint!)😴.  Still this Virus helps to finance mine so I’m not complaining 😁
   I’ve lost count how many of these I’ve framed for people. 
   Since seeing these, standing in a the local park as a grown man playing with a toy car pales into insignificance. 

B6FCF204-9C76-4982-8563-66D5CBFE59A0.md.

3EAD8959-C230-4765-97F6-16559F2B31AA.md.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Re-Bugged said:

Since seeing these, standing in a the local park as a grown man playing with a toy car pales into insignificance. 

Totally!!! Would keep me quiet for a while though...

• Like 1

Currently working to have one of every Tamiya Nitro they have produced and about 23 kits short as I type this. I currently bounce around the 250-260 kits mark. Not sure what happens after that!

As for spares I definitely buy them when I see them. When I first started collecting nitro there wasn't many others doing it but now there are quite a few. I am confident that most will never be re-released and so I purchase parts whenever I see them. I import a huge amount from Japan that is either hard to find in Europe or was never issued and that helps to pay for the hobby. Prices have indeed gone up as parts get harder to find. It's not unusual for me to wait over a year or more to find a part now. That said I am very good at searching for parts and finding information to help in that searching. I maintain lots of personal databases on all the nitro kits, the engines, compatible parts etc that helps. I also understand the older Tamiya distribution network and use that to my advantage.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, CKU87 said:

Haha that’s so true, last time I painted a TT02 chassis and got some paint on my arm. My colleague asked me what happened to me. I was surprised and told him that I did some work at home :) What should I say?

Back then I used to manually refill my Epson photo printer cartridge from CcMmYK bulk ink. These days I play with fountain pens and myriad coloured FP inks. Either way I'd often end up with 10 fingers in 21 different bright hues :P takes at least 2-3d of washing to wear off. 

If anybody raises an eyebrow, start humming...

Someday we'll find it 
The Rainbow Connection 
The lovers, the dreamers and me…

• Like 1

I take each day as it comes.  The virus hits me in so many ways I'm never really sure what I'll get the cravings for next.  I don't really think so much about availability of anything, just that I want stuff for no apparent reason.

Just before Christmas I decided I wanted a new scaler.  I've been running my SCX10 for years now and it's starting to feel a bit tired.  Things have moved on a little but I couldn't decide what to upgrade with and didn't have the funds.

Then I was desperate for a stock-ish Clod Buster.  I've got a Mod Clod, and I'd never really run a stock Clod, but I wanted one anyway.  Had the Black Edition been on sale then I probably would have bought it.

Then I got the bug to build another WT-01.  I had one years ago, gave up and sold it.  Been meaning to do another for ever.  Finally did it.

I saw the pics of the new MST FXX 2.0S which set my heart racing, although I've only recently started to use my RMX 2.0S in anger.

Just recently I've got the hankering for a Super Astute.  Maybe with some savings I can have one next month, but I have a lot of other cars to get ready for this season and money is tighter than I thought this month.  But a month ago I wouldn't have looked twice at a Super Astute.

I still find myself drawn to basic TT01s with nice bodies.  I don't run them, I just build them, paint them (usually badly and in boring street colours) and put them on the shelf.  Well, I don't have any shelves any more (currently down to 0 cars on display) so what's the point?  I can always get excited about the prospect of popping down the LHS on a lunchbreak - only 10 mins walk away - and picking up yet another TT01 or CC01, or even looking at the F104 Pro II kit that he's had on the top shelf for ages, but then I remember how expensive his prices are compared even to UK online sellers and I find it hard to justify.  With no shelf space I can only afford to buy runners, and with so few events where I can run my stuff happening locally, it's hard to justify anything now.

So really I'm just looking at what I can run or race.  We do a few scaler meets around here so I'm always tempted by anything that will crawl or trail.  I guess that's why I love CC01s, why I have a hankering for an MST CFX and why I hope to see some nicer bodies on the CC02.  Wrangler, please, Tamiya!!  Or at a push, a Defender, which has got to be a dead cert, surely..?

Vintage touring and buggy, because I run at Iconic events, although realistically they are 2-3 events per year for me, so it's a lot of money and hassle for a couple of races tops.

Big rig trailers - I think I have enough rigs now?  Euro tractor, yank tractor, euro rigid, yank rigid.  Just fancy a few more trailers.  Would love a Tamiya tanker for my yank rig but they're so spendy.

Monster trucks - seem to be having something of a revival at the mo, with some nice new bodies (JConcepts have some stunners), more wheels and tyres on the market, and people converting things like the SCX10 (secretly this is why I want a new scaler - I want to retire my SCX to a vintage style monster truck).  TBH Tamiya are way behind the game here.  They should have waded in with something new when the Wheelie King came out but still kept plugging on with half-baked bashers.  The TXT-2 is OK, I guess, but I think it's ugly as sin and everything looks out of proportion.  With some Clod wheels and a different body it would be alright, but should we have to do that?  Where's the trucks to compete with the MTX-1 and SMT-10?  Something around the size of the Blackfoot but with proper axles?  Sure we could have something like this on the CC02 platform, with a few mods...  Time will tell if Tamiya think this is a good idea.

• Like 1

As I collect the cars I've always wanted, I'm finding myself attracted to (and buying) cars I previously had no interest in.

I'm just hoping my virus doesn't mutate into 'Diamond Painting'... :lol:

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Falcon#5 said:

I'm just hoping my virus doesn't mutate into 'Diamond Painting'... :lol:

We'll see about that once an image of Blazing Blazer, Ford Ranger or Super Champ hits the shelves at Lincraft :lol:

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Re-Bugged said:

We'll see about that once an image of Blazing Blazer, Ford Ranger or Super Champ hits the shelves at Lincraft :lol:

At least I know where I can get the Super Champ framed when it happens! :P

• Haha 1

On 2/4/2020 at 2:53 PM, Re-Bugged said:

I much rather have this virus than the one that seems to have infected my local town big time in the last 18 months or so called ‘Diamond Painting’. Sheets of sticky canvas that you attach coloured beads to the corresponding colour on the canvas, thousands of them literally thousands of them. (bit like painting by numbers without the paint!)😴.  

Ah, Diamond Dots. My wife has just caught that virus. It makes me not at all concerned about my severe case of T.Virus which has seen me go from 0 Tamiya cars in December 2019 to 4 (3 NIB, 1 resotration) today.  I assume this is the normal growth rate. Next acquisition is likely to be a Frog, and if the Super Champ gets another re-re one of them, too.

I also have the same Fountain Pen virus (Lamy strain) as WillyChang. I have recently managed to overcome the Lego virus, although the proceeds from the sale of that collection will be diverted almost immediately into more cars.

• Like 1