CKU87

Tamiya Virus - Planning your collection

On 2/1/2020 at 6:09 AM, Juggular said:

I didn't regret stocking up on are bearings, though.  They are cheap, and I can count on myself to buy more Tamiya kits (more like I can't stop).  I don't buy pre-selected bearing sets because they are 10 times more expensive.  36 sets of $15 bearing sets would have cost me $540 (but I spent about $60).  I pocketed $480 for myself and bought 6 more used RC cars.  And these bearings work just as well as more expensive ones.  If you really want them to run as fast as ABEC 5 bearings, take off the shields and re-lube them with lighter oil.  (besides, ABEC ratings are about the precision, not about the speed)

These cost about $2 per bag of ten now (it used to be $1 for 10).  It takes 2 weeks from China, which is why I stock up.  Half of these are 1150 bearings and 850 bearings.  The other half are odd ones like servo bearings, 540 motor bearings, 630, 1050, 1060, 1280, etc.  For the price of a couple spare parts, I'd rather have 200 bearings ready to go. That's my personal take on spares.   

After a summer of running my X-Maxx and E-Revo 2 fairly solidly I blew 3 bearings yesterday - not normal ones either, but weird sizes (eg. 20x27x4mm). 

So after seeing that just 2 of these would be AUD$18 at a local shop, or $10 posted locally, I went with the $10 option. I then got a complete list of all the odd sized bearings needed for my larger Traxxas trucks, and ordered 65 bearings of various sizes for AUD$98 from HK (listed below, confusingly in USD). I'll have to wait 6-8 weeks, but then I'm well stocked up for the next few years.

• SKU: Qty:5pcs,Model:6702-2RS 15x21x4mm, Item price: US $5.90
  • SKU: Qty:5pcs,Model:6801-2RS 12x21x5mm, Item price: US $4.99
  • SKU: Qty:10pcs,Model:6803-2RS 17x26x5mm, Item price: US $9.49
  • SKU: Qty:10pcs,Model:6704-2RS 20x27x4mm, Item price: US $12.90
  • SKU: Qty:20pcs,Model:6700-2RS 10x15x4mm, Item price: US $12.90
  • SKU: Qty:10pcs,Model:6802-2RS 15x24x5mm, Item price: US $8.49
  • SKU: Qty:5pcs,Model:6701-2RS 12x18x4mm, Item price: US $5.40

I think I still need to order some 5x11x4mm (probably at least 20), but I'll get round to that tonight.

• Like 2

i just build them,  there is no order. it's simply Chaos. now what is in order is every kit has it's own container and or box, legends and foot notes and any jig that was to fabricate a part or piece, every tag, order # and product instruction put into an envelope and marked of what vehicle it belongs to just in case it gets separated from its family. It's an Epidemic and causes many side effects and found chocolate chip cookies do absolutely nothing but make me want more cookies:lol:  

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

On 2/4/2020 at 5:39 AM, Falcon#5 said:

As I collect the cars I've always wanted, I'm finding myself attracted to (and buying) cars I previously had no interest in.

I'm just hoping my virus doesn't mutate into 'Diamond Painting'... :lol:

That's just the fever braking:lol:

• Haha 1

My wife bought 2 new diamond dot kits today, so I feel completely justified with the light kit and hop-up parts for the M07.

• Like 3

My wife overspent her money on her Lucy Locket Leggings virus last month and owed the joint account some cash, so I gave her some extra money to top up. It's my birthday this month and I was hoping she would get me a tough camera for the workshop. 

Instead she is using the money I gave her to get herself a new camera and giving me her old one. 

I think that justifies the super Astute I will probably order later today :P :lol:

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Mad Ax said:

My wife overspent her money on her Lucy Locket Leggings virus

No idea what those are, until now... CRIPES they're £33 yoga pants?!!?

After finding out about $500 ballet socks. 

Good lord, today's fadionistas really know how to markup moolah.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

So I went to Bunnings (a big-box hardware store in Australia) and bought a storage container, with the right number of compartments, for $4.

Then I printed off labels for each compartment. I cannot truly describe how happy this made me when it was all so neat! I'll be even happier when it's filled with bearings... :D

IMG_20200209_144104.jpg

• Like 5

21 minutes ago, lsear2905 said:

So I went to Bunnings (a big-box hardware store in Australia) and bought a storage container, with the right number of compartments, for $4.

Then I printed off labels for each compartment. I cannot truly describe how happy this made me when it was all so neat! I'll be even happier when it's filled with bearings... :D

That looks exactly like what my wife uses to store and catalogue her Diamond Dots. Be careful....

• Haha 2

I'm worried about you lot - this is turning into DiamondDotClub instead of TamiyaClub!

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, lsear2905 said:

11 hours ago, c64orinoco said:

That looks exactly like what my wife uses to store and catalogue her Diamond Dots. Be careful....

I bought my daughter a bigger version of one of those cases a few years ago back when 'Loom Bands' were all the rage, would've been about 300mmx400mm.

First time it was upended on the floor, my wife spent so many hours segregating them into their respective colours back in the little compartments. Second time it was upended, went back in as a technicolour mess. :lol:

However if it contained thousands of those diamond dot things, I would've sent Mr Dyson in to sort that mess out!

I have a much better use for mine -

motors.jpg

• Like 2

On 2/11/2020 at 1:45 PM, lsear2905 said:

I'm worried about you lot - this is turning into DiamondDotClub instead of TamiyaClub!

Being forwarned is being prepared.