Chrisc

Tamiya Super Sabre

I'm trying to restore my tamiya super sabre and one of the front gearbox long shaft is broken.  I can't seem to find this part anywhere.  Does anyone know where I can track this down or what the official part number is?

it is the same length as a TL 01 shaft but the cup on the Super Sabre is bigger in diameter ?IMG_3418.thumb.PNG.9d005d8fb9287320b728786f6e178bc6.PNG

Thanks

IMG_3390.PNG

Thank you,  I have a spare brand new bag of 5300 but that does not contain the long gearbox joint only short.

i will have a look what comes in 50300

Thanks for your help.

• Thanks 1

I'm at a loss with this can't find the part anywhere.  It doesn't come in either of those 50300 or 5300?

really want to finish this restoration but without this I'm dead in the water.

Early production Hot Shot series kits came with 2 "short" Gear Box Joints and separate pin, whereas later production kits came with 1 "short" and one "long", where "long" just means that the pin is permanently fixed. I don't remember if 50300 ever got this update, but you can use the older type on all original release Hot Shot series cars. With the separate pin, the diff is only slightly more wobbly and the pin can slide out when one or both of the driveshafts are removed or fall out. If you grease the pin (as you should anyway), the pin will be less prone to slide out. 

@Chrisc if your in the UK, give Antony from Tony's Tamiya Parts (look him up on Facebook) a PM, if anyone can sort you out with a new part its him.

I will also have a hunt through my parts bucket and tool boxes see if I have anything.

Thank you Mokei so I just need the seperate pin then do you know the part number for this?

I may be able to knock the old pin out of the broken cup.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Chrisc said:

Thank you Mokei so I just need the seperate pin then do you know the part number for this?

I may be able to knock the old pin out of the broken cup.

I don't know the number from the top of my head, but as you suggest, removing the pin from the broken part is an option. Shouldn't be hard. In fact, it was pretty common for it to come loose by itself as the gearbox got some mileage. They weren't as well fixed as similar pins in gear box joints for newer chassis types.

11 minutes ago, Mokei Kagaku said:

Shouldn't be hard. In fact, it was pretty common for it to come loose by itself as the gearbox got some mileage. They weren't as well fixed as similar pins in gear box joints for newer chassis types.

Ahh, good to know :) I thought I remember putting them in with fixed pins but later they weren't... I had been blaming early onset stress induced senility :P 

Thank you Baddon I will give him a shout on FB now.  Really want to see the super sabre back on the road