wolfdogstinkus

Brushless quick drive Thunder Dragon

I thought I had a thread about this but can't find it so if I already have one, it can be merged.

I built this a good few years ago but someone has been asking questions so thought I would post a few pics of the install. 

It has been years since I worked on this. 

Gave up after around 35?mph decided that I couldn't really compete with 1/10 scale in the top speed Tamiya thread but I believe it's still in the top 20.

Originally bought as a non runner for less than £20.

UMls92A.jpg

Added M chassis rally block tyres.

GElZvzm.jpg

Ezrun 1/18th? It's a 2030 can at around 5700kv I think?. If I remember right, it's the 12turn motor. And the ESC takes 3s with multiple programmable features.

OCBC2nt.jpg

Standard 1/10 servo held with servo tape and a cable tie through chassis to prevent any movement.

MrCGo3M.jpg

Removed part of the top deck to get battery lower down.

ycOpeFw.jpg

Running a badly puffed 2200mah 2,s.

It puffed in a different car, it should be plenty for this car.

aXRDz3l.jpg

Ball ends and adjusters with M3 threaded rod.

WRb2JYO.jpg

Bottom of chassis with battery door open.

I think that's it, if I remember anything else or you want to know anything, please ask.

Thanks for the photos....I can’t wait to get my old Thunder Dragon QD running again and it should handle better and be so much faster after the brushless conversion. The photos really help me understand what I need to do. 
Much appreciated! 
I’m sure I’ll need help again as I bound to get stuck. 
Really enjoying tinkering with things. Once my little Thunder Dragon is built I’d like to buy something 2nd hand but bigger.

Photos will be posted to show my progress of my T/D QD conversion and all the mistakes I may make along the way! 

Feel free to post pics in here.

I would recommend the blitzer beetle or stadium blitzer, come up cheap often and handle big power no problems.

I didn't need to cut the chassis to fit battery in,  I think it fitted flat before but underneath the lid so wanted to lower it a bit. If I did it again, I would probably just get a more suitable battery.

Proper little rocket on ,3s and drives straight on smooth road, not great off road/ grass

And 2 speed gearbox is great.

The only downside is that it costs the same to upgrade a bigger,/faster car. The motor  won't be interchangeable and possibly not the ESC unless you goto a 1/10 scale ESC from the start but you may have to change the bullets for the smaller motor. 

So, in conclusion, I would have bought a

semi decent programmable 1/10 scale ESC

2035/ 2040( depending on shaft size, gotta be 2mn) brushless motor around 4-6000kv

2s lipo for every day use without destroying it around 2000mah should fit in. 

And a small 3s for insane speed runs on a smooth road surface. 

And possibly less grip on front tyres?  Or more depending on use.

Actually scrap that, lol. I gave up on 3s after having consistent runs on 3s without anything breaking. Lol 

I need to get 4s in there. Lol. 

Must look at specs and do some maths. Lol 

I got fed up breaking my boys lunchbox all the time, bout time I fiddled with this again. Watch this space. Lol

Hi Wolfdogstinkus,

It’s bee a while, I’m progressing with my QD Thunder Dragon brushless conversation, steering nearly there just needs some minor tweaks to the threaded bar.
I have received the motor and Esc from China went for the Hobbywing 2030 12t, now I understand your comments on can size. 
How did you secure the can in the car as it’s slightly narrower than the original?

Thanks

Jimbo

bought this on eBay for £32

F344BE7D-9BA2-41DE-858E-7605F0B5EBBB.jpeg

The original motor has holes which locate on 2 plastic pins in the gearbox.

I carefully drilled through the plastic gearbox on the dimple of the plastic pin, then just bolted the motor in.

I think the screws are M2.5? X 8 or 10mm long. Might be better with 8mm long. 

I believe I only used one bolt, even if you mess the drilling a little, you could use a small washer to cover your error. 

I just remembered why I only used one bolt. I think I bought Allen head bolts, and the other bolt fouled the gear change mechanism. I think I could have used 2 bolts if I had flat head bolts. But one has held up just fine so far and all the gears are still selectable.

That is a quality system, I believe you could just get a larger can and still have all the program features of the ESC?

Not tried it myself yet, too many projects but I might dig this out again.

Brilliant thank you! I have ordered some bolts and it’s getting close to being finished. 
Pictures soon.
My plan was to wrap the motor in insulation tape to make a snug fit. Your idea is much better.

Thanks again

Hi,

Please can anyone advise me as I don’t have much knowledge on lipo batteries. I would like to buy a 2s battery for a 7800kv brushless motor and 18a Esc combo. How do I know what to buy? Volts, C rating, Amps? Which brands are good?
Any advice would be much appreciated. 
thanks 

Jimbo

Do it by size. Measure the battery compartment and order accordingly.

If it helps I had a 2200mah 2s in there easy. 

Or a 3s of similar capacity for insane speed. 

You might be able to see in my thread or I can check for you. But just get whatever fits. 

Edit 2add. I used soft case lipo because they are well protected in this chassis but you can use a suitably sized hardcase if you feel more comfortable with hardcase.

When I first did the qd monster beetle, I tried packing out the motor and supergluing it in but it only ever lasted a few runs, they need bolting in.

You have to press the old pinion off the old motor and press it on the new one. If you get stuck, give me a shout.

Just checked the 3s I used to use is also 2200mah, but you can cut bits out the chassis or just strap it on the top deck under the shell. 

Plenty space to play with after the old electrics are gone and all those AA's

Was quite bored today, dug this out of the cupboard and had a look over it. 

This is a fun little buggy but you do need a pretty smooth track. 

Did think about swapping the motor but when I tried it, the Goolrc motor felt gutless compared to an ezrun half its size.

Took some pictures of inside the gearbox while I was in there.

These buggies are a great start for young ones, buy a cheap non runner and slap a load of cheap electronics in it. 

Say £20 for motor/ESC combo

£20 for radio gear which can be reused 

A cheap lipo( soft case will do if you fit it inside the tub, it will be well protected.

Add a few 1150 bearings and a servo and you've got a decent little car.

spacer.png

EHSe0Dy.jpg

Bigger is definitely not better in this case. That EZRun motor shifts. Lol

iLnBHg5.jpg

Drill these holes through to bolt on motor.

fFm86r0.jpg

Originally I only used one bolt because I only had cap heads and it fouled the gear. It held together fine with one, but I just fitted a flathead machine screw and it fits without rubbing anything.

iI6SFxm.jpg

Motor has 2 bolts now.

D6vwQVh.jpg

Standard 1/10 servo, receiver, and 2s lipo. M chassis tyres. M3 threaded rod for steering tie rods and ,5mm ball adjusters.

Zippy 2200mah lipo. Badly puffed but works ok with this set up.

Was going to try a 3s lipo but this is the only one I had available.

ijKR0UQ.jpg

That's ok, isn't it??

PepWIfG.jpg

The top still fits, I just need longer screws. Lol

It's a 7800kv!!!!

yjJaLlP.jpg

This won't come close. Lol. Unless I run it on 4s??. Mmm mmm

3giEVRV.jpg

UHuSTD9.jpg

Low gear. 

UWgXRml.jpg

High gear.

iI6SFxm.jpg

Motor is bolted with 2 bolts and no fouling.

I gave up after that, what next I wonder?

Lower KV, more Volt's?

Bigger wheels?

Anyway it's pretty quick as it is and would probably put a load of 1/10 cars to shame. Lol

• Like 1

On 3/31/2020 at 5:44 AM, Jimbothejetsetter said:

Brilliant thank you! I have ordered some bolts and it’s getting close to being finished. 
Pictures soon.
My plan was to wrap the motor in insulation tape to make a snug fit. Your idea is much better.

Thanks again

Hopefully the new pictures will help with your car. How's it going?

Hi,

Thank you for the pictures. I have it running and it goes really quick, it’s only just been put together. I have some some issues with it jumping out of gear occasionally. I think this maybe due to the one bolt. Need a flatter headed bolt as the second bolt obstructed the low gear and it couldn’t be switched from high to low. Need to look at resolving that.

Lost a tyre after the first run with my daughter controlling it, so they need gluing on.

Bought a Floureon 2S battery which fits in and everything else I followed your photos. It’s exactly the same spec, even the same servo in there. 

i just need the metal bearings, but have to wait as I’m getting disapproving comments on how much the little car has cost. 

I will take some photos/video clips of it. Hopefully I can fix this jumping out of gear problem and it will be great fun.

Thanks for your help with getting it converted. 

Jimbo 

This little car only cost around £16 I think?.

It's all the stuff that's bolted in it that cost money. Lol.. 

But that can be reused so you just invested money in a future project. 

I found a small button head screw in a servo screw bag that fits without fouling the gears. 

Get some pictures up...

Hi, 

Here are a few photos of the brushless conversion of my old QD Thunder Dragon. I got the idea from your YouTube video.

it does need refining it’s still just thrown together but it goes super fast compared to running as standard before.

E16B85C3-DD1F-4FA9-8ECB-DCB635A8FF67.jpeg

I had a renewed interest in this car due to a couple of forum members turning up with the same model/ chassis.

@TrueBlue @Jimbothejetsetter

So I charged up a small 3s lipo, made a connector/ adapter for the battery and took it out for a run.

Had to remove the electronics plastic cover to fit it in, but it fitted inside the shell.

I was getting faster and decided to record the next run. 

I was almost topped out and kept it running to try and get a more accurate reading on the gps.

1..A massive dog then ran out of a driveway, ( massive puppy, of Akita type)

2.I might have swore a little when that happened, 

3. Car was off camera for most of the run so wont count in the top speed thread.

4. That road is too bumpy, I need to venture out to smoother plains.

5. I am trying to recruit a helpful assistant (a lady, I hope, lol) to assist with camera duties, 

In the name of science and the endless quest for greater speed,.. I wish to tell you that this car today recorded 39mph!!!!

but it wont count for the reasons above, but there is more potential there for sure...…….

• Haha 1

Consistently hitting 40mph++++ now

And that's with a phone strapped on the roof. Lol

Video to follow.

Ok. I accept both my camera skills and driving skill is terrible. But here's a 40mph run.

Next is to swap the front tyres out for something less grippy, and maybe adjust the brakes.

• Like 1

Have you slammed the QD thunder dragon’s suspension? It looks lower than mine.

Also is there a way of locking it into one gear? Mine keeps jumping out of gear when it gets air, I’m not fussy about keeping the high low gear choices. 

Must admit it’s fun to drive and even with a 2S battery, it rips along. Thanks for the inspiration to do the brushless conversion.

I enjoyed your video clip! 

Jimbo