wolfdogstinkus

Brushless quick drive Thunder Dragon

Wolf dog, I joined this forum specifically because of you, I am not at all happy with you. You have made me spend an awful lot of money on my old Childhood Thunderdragon!!!!!

jokes aside, ordered a brushless setup, and as it is massively sentimental to me, went and ordered original nos wheels and tyres (going to be too scared to run them what they cost) it’s a semi restoration, semi modification.

i would really love a new shell, missed one on eBay the other week as it was hideous money, now we are so far into lockdown I am regretting it (would have been £80 to the door, and I just spent £50 on wheels) I know it’s ridiculous, but like I say, sentimental and I think it’s kind of cool to revive a childhood toy after 30 years and have more fun

E327B52C-35EA-4D99-9B5D-DFFDF99FDCB2.jpeg

I did also buy new glass, so that’s now fitted. Chuffed with these wheels. Really should have bought the shell

ordered front wheels from New Zealand, in the same style slightly battered packet. I swear they were the last in the world!

989C9600-7A84-4B35-BE12-E67D59D00100.jpeg

9DD04351-A13A-4582-9F40-8B9CD7FB9B2D.jpeg

341D3A29-2B5F-4F92-8F11-E7A131A15271.jpeg

0C29E9FD-BD4F-4822-A8AE-0D4D333FD24F.jpeg

@Beastbike. Wow, you have been spending. 

You know MCI racing will print decals very close to the original.

I am here to help you save money by spending it wisely. Lol

I am going much faster now. Lol. 

Regularly over 40mph with a phone strapped to the roof. Lol

M chassis tyres fit and are cheap. 

Leave the bald ones on at front, you don't need steering over 30mph. Lol

I've had quite a few 45mph crashes now and not broken anything yet. Lol

Ha ha they are actually the real McCoy Original 80s optional slicks! I also had the genuine optional paddle spikes. What I have left is the slicks, and 3 of the original wheels, with 3 paddle spike tyres on them. I have a funny feeling I smashed a paddle spike wheel, so put the paddle spike tyres on the spiked wheels 9because the tyres were shot). The 4th MUST be over the old dears in my old bedroom, which is now obviously a dumping ground having not lived there for 18 years. I would love to find it as they are pretty durable and I can use the new ones for shelf queen status!!!

new graphics would be amazing So I will look into that. I am pretty decent on a rattle can, so can match up the grey/silver. And freshen her up. Motor will be a few weeks I imagine, and I have a lot on currently. Also thinking up some creative battery ideas. I want it to look factory. (20 years in custom vehicle trade will do that!)

I did however make the mistake of getting a 2s esc, kicking myself a bit but I am sure it will still be fun. Bought a surpass 2430 7200kv and 25A esc eBay special.

going to be on hold for a week or so. Today’s progress was my T25.........

thats my rattle can work, no buffing or polishing, straight from the can. Top isn’t done as it’s going 2 tone

8B3D4F7B-5CDE-4B58-AE2C-2485B2D59935.jpeg

With batteries I am thinking of using 8 14500 batts. Wiring up as 4 lots of 2s in the original batt box

Even cheapos will give me 5200mah, and appear original.

i am a vaper  so have been using 2 18650s on my nitros both for the receiver and the electric start. 7.4v was a little risky on the receiver admittedly, but everything seems to handle it (and that’s old school 27mhz rubbish) Already have a 4 bank charger so that’s sorted in a way.

will keep you updated

To edit, if the terminals were “buzz bars” I could run 2,4,6 or 8 batts. Although with only 2, the springs don’t really like the current when pulling full chat. I did have a few go red with a flooded nitro .21 and 380 motor with the 18650s. Solved that now, think it was more China quality springs!!

You know Tesla's run on 18650 batteries?. Only about 1000 of them. Lol. 

Looking forward to seeing your creation.

They're bigger than AA's though, aren't they?. Good luck getting 8 in there. 

4 in series, 4 in parallel?

So 12volts but double capacity?. Roughly?

Sorry I may have confused you. Multiple models!

Traxxas t Maxx with a .21 running with 2 x 18650s for receiver and ez start, works a peach. Based on that.......

a 14500 battery is aa size. So I only need 2 to get me 7.4v or 2s

8 in the box, will slot straight in, wired up 4 parallel lots of 2 in series if that makes sense? Just think buzz bars at front and rear of stock thunderdragon battery box.

as for T25/T3 I can never tell. It’s on an A plate, water cooled derv 1600. Those doors are not the originals. The originals had quarterlights that were fixed, the door I have painted has quarterlights that tilt. I call it a T25 but could be wrong!

57E5916B-56D6-43A2-A793-EA8F3358CD3E.jpeg

On 5/30/2020 at 12:55 AM, Beastbike said:

Sorry I may have confused you. Multiple models!

Traxxas t Maxx with a .21 running with 2 x 18650s for receiver and ez start, works a peach. Based on that.......

a 14500 battery is aa size. So I only need 2 to get me 7.4v or 2s

8 in the box, will slot straight in, wired up 4 parallel lots of 2 in series if that makes sense? Just think buzz bars at front and rear of stock thunderdragon battery box.

as for T25/T3 I can never tell. It’s on an A plate, water cooled derv 1600. Those doors are not the originals. The originals had quarterlights that were fixed, the door I have painted has quarterlights that tilt. I call it a T25 but could be wrong!

57E5916B-56D6-43A2-A793-EA8F3358CD3E.jpeg

T25 and T3 are the same I think?

T25 being the VW model number and T3 being the 3rd generation van.

Splitty is a T1 but also a type 2

Bay is a T2

T3 above,

Then the later vans T4 and T5.

I'm just glad I can still spot VW parts after so long out of the scene.

Done a fair bit of work on my old Thunder dragon now, I am quite proud of the mods, and think it looks pretty factory, forgot to take pics tonight, however I believe I have a wicked servo mod. Super secure, very little modding and no bodges. I know it’s worth ****** all but it’s my childhood toy so I want it nice. Will need a keen eye to realise it’s modded when I am done!

Just setting up tracking now as I have right hand threaded bar instead of turnbuckles which is a pain. Then final assembly.

very pleased with how the shell turned out. I am going to wire in the original Tamiya on/off switch with the big red switch. Also as I have a rechargeable floodlight with a 7.4 lion, the charge jack actually fits the Tamiya one, so going to wire that in as well.

by the way, my servo mod I stole the screws from the QD servo, and stole a plate from a fried servo, however, with m3 joints there was not much clearance. So I simply binned my spacer plate

ended up buying another really nice thunder dragon Qd on eBay, more as a source of parts and shell, then I bought what is possibly the last remaining new shell in the world. Lockdown is costing a fortune!!!!!

although it’s going to be really cool to run a stocker and this side by side. Hopefully have a video for you all over the weekend.

hope you like! Any questions for QD brushless fans hit me!

• Like 1