wolfdogstinkus

Brushless quick drive Thunder Dragon

The little EZRUN motor was getting so hot, it was melting the plastic on the gearbox. It's a few years old and has been used mostly on 3s. Lol. 

The New motor arrived yesterday....

First run last night, easy 40mph pass without flipping over.

Waiting for a smaller 3s lipo now. 

Noticed a fair amount of damage on my last strip down. It was still going though. Lol. 

Bent rear axle, cracked chassis, front suspension arm mounting point broken. 

No wonder it wasn't running straight anymore. Lol. 

Luckily I have spares.

So hopefully any purists that did look in here, would have left ages ago when I replaced the motor

I'm sorry to announce that the original brushless chassis had died and is currently being replaced with another chassis which had less use

The chassis cracked before and I tried to glue it

spacer.png

The tie rods supposed to be bent, right?

Helps you go round corners.

spacer.png

Battery tray was held in with hot glue, I say "WAS" lol

spacer.png

She was doing 31.87mph when she died

:(

vzs0OLH.jpg

This has been cheap fun so far though, and it was dead when I bought it, so I gave it a whole new life. Lol. 

And it will return........

Noticed that the price of these on eBay is going up though..

Hi all. Been following this thread as I have dusted off my QDs. Looking forward to getting them going again.

Is there a list you guys can offer of parts I need to give it a more modern overall? Been looking at the ezrun 2030 kit as mentioned earlier in the thread but guess I would need a new receiver and a way to power it all too. Not sure what else?

New to modifying RCs too so are there any links and guides to wiring it all up?

6 hours ago, lupogtiboy said:

First post for ages!

In my showroom is my QD Thundershot with an EZRUN brushless motor installed, this thing flies!

https://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom_model.asp?cid=102637&id=24472

Hope this may help someone!

Totally underrated. It even has clips that will hold a 1/10 servo so it's almost a straight swap depending on where the wires exit the servo. 

I'm sad to say, I have destroyed one chassis but it got well used. 

2nd chassis only on 2s and still hitting 30mph. Easy.

And it runs so straight..

Well mine did. Lol. 

It took so much abuse though.

Prices have definitely risen recently. Lol..

On 5/11/2020 at 5:43 AM, Jimbothejetsetter said:

Hi, 

Here are a few photos of the brushless conversion of my old QD Thunder Dragon. I got the idea from your YouTube video.

it does need refining it’s still just thrown together but it goes super fast compared to running as standard before.

E16B85C3-DD1F-4FA9-8ECB-DCB635A8FF67.jpeg

Hi jimbo

Wondering if you could help me. I want to do a build basically like yours. I like its style of still fitting under covers etc. Do you have a list of parts used?

Hi,

I will have a go at listing what I bought to convert my old Thunder Dragon QD

Tyres M chassis 51427 rally block tyres

Flysky FS GT2 controller

3mm threaded bar for the axles

Tamiya 50595 5mm ball connectors

Hitec Hs-645MG servo

Tamiya 5mm adjusters

Tamiya 51000 Hi-torque servo saver 

Hobbywing EZrun-2030 12T brushless motor - 18A ESc and card

M2.5 8mm bolts for engine

2s or 3s lipo

Connectors to convert the EZrun connectors to the battery I used deans.

i think that’s it. I’m new to this stuff and know very little, however I just completely copied Wolfdogstinkus, he was really helpful.

Worth looking for his original threads on here which is where I got most of the list of parts from.

The price adds up but I enjoyed doing it. I still need to buy some rechargeable AAs for the flysky controller then I can start using it again. It is fast!!! 

I hope this helps....

Jimbo

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 2/3/2020 at 1:29 AM, wolfdogstinkus said:

I didn't need to cut the chassis to fit battery in,  I think it fitted flat before but underneath the lid so wanted to lower it a bit. If I did it again, I would probably just get a more suitable battery.

Proper little rocket on ,3s and drives straight on smooth road, not great off road/ grass

And 2 speed gearbox is great.

The only downside is that it costs the same to upgrade a bigger,/faster car. The motor  won't be interchangeable and possibly not the ESC unless you goto a 1/10 scale ESC from the start but you may have to change the bullets for the smaller motor. 

So, in conclusion, I would have bought a

semi decent programmable 1/10 scale ESC

2035/ 2040( depending on shaft size, gotta be 2mn) brushless motor around 4-6000kv

2s lipo for every day use without destroying it around 2000mah should fit in. 

And a small 3s for insane speed runs on a smooth road surface. 

And possibly less grip on front tyres?  Or more depending on use.

Actually scrap that, lol. I gave up on 3s after having consistent runs on 3s without anything breaking. Lol 

I need to get 4s in there. Lol. 

Must look at specs and do some maths. Lol 

I got fed up breaking my boys lunchbox all the time, bout time I fiddled with this again. Watch this space. Lol

Hi mate

Hoping for you guidance in modernising my QD. Does the receiver need it's own power supply or can it somehow be dead from the main power pack? Cheers

• Like 1

Thanks Jimbo, that's a great and helpful list. Gonna start my shopping list, should be fun

On 6/17/2020 at 7:02 AM, Beastbike said:

with your 3S seriously have a look down the 18650 route. 

How did you get on with the 18650 batteries in the holder? Liked that it pretty much fitted in the opening if the battery compartment.

21 hours ago, AndyCC said:

Hi mate

Hoping for you guidance in modernising my QD. Does the receiver need it's own power supply or can it somehow be dead from the main power pack? Cheers

The receiver is usually fed 6volts from the ESC. You can get a cheap brush less 1/18th scale system for around £20, Jimbo got a good quality system but it does cost more. 

KV= rpm X voltage

So in theory with no load...

Ezrun 7800kv motor X 11.1volts=Fast!!!! 

Or a possible 86,580 rpm at unloaded motor...

If you have any questions, just @ me and I will do my best to help you (not go as fast as me!.) Lol

My rear wheels were getting in a terrible state.

Then I was messing around with some tyres and stuff and had an idea.

NmL6Y57.jpgits part of a broken lunchbox wheel.

It's not perfectly centered but looks much better than before.

O8UINXk.jpg

I'll get some more practice doing the rest of them. 

Need to do another 2 wheels at least.

fvOVnm7.jpg

I'm not using those tyres after all. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, wolfdogstinkus said:

Ezrun 7800kv motor X 11.1volts=Fast!!!! 

So....too fast? 🤔

Helpful about the power to the receiver. I hadn't realised.

7 minutes ago, AndyCC said:

So....too fast? 🤔

Helpful about the power to the receiver. I hadn't realised.

Lol. Too fast for general use. Great fun for very nervous high speed runs. 

Depends what you want it for?. I like to use my trigger finger, it's great having so much throttle control. 

Squeeze a little to go slow, squeeze it full and it just flips over. Needs a lot more skill to drive but it's fun.

I didn't put any foams in the original m chassis rally block tyres and after a few years of bashing it around. This happens.

3AawXrM.jpgso I might be putting pink walls on these.

They have an edge/step which should aid alignment. 

0sjTsee.jpgits not joined on yet, needs sanding and the wheel prepared.

8qgIgOg.jpg

I've just discovered M chassis reinforced 60D tyres!!!

I think they fit but I need more research because they are 3x the price of the rally block tyres.

• Like 1

So I ordered the Ezrun 2030 kit with the 7800kv motor. But I'm having second thoughts. Is it just too powerful? Uncontrollable? 

I messaged the seller and I can change my order to the 5200kv ezrun. Should I do that? 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AndyCC said:

So I ordered the Ezrun 2030 kit with the 7800kv motor. But I'm having second thoughts. Is it just too powerful? Uncontrollable? 

I messaged the seller and I can change my order to the 5200kv ezrun. Should I do that? Just 

Just stick with 2s lipo or 7 volts and you'll soon get used to it and want faster.

6 hours ago, AndyCC said:

I messaged the seller and I can change my order to the 5200kv ezrun. Should I do that? 

Did it come with the program card?

If you decide it's too fast, I'll swap my Goolrc 4000kv 2435 can? For your ezrun motor...

@wolfdogstinkus thanks for offer of swap. We shall see how we get on once it's here and all together. I decided to stick with the 7300. Why not hey. 

Yeah the EZrun kit is coming with a programmer if that's what you mean but as a novice the settings will be a mystery. 

See you playing around with the aging QD wheels. Are there Hex adapters that will at least work on the back? 

• Like 1

I believe the hex from the mad bull wheels fit the splines but that causes other issues which I have forgotten exactly but either the axles were too short or too fat/thin to accept the bigger wheels.

But I also believe that this is the same gearbox as the monster series use so it should handle the bigger wheels, it's just finding some that will fit.

Edit to add. My memory fails me, it seems that the Monster series had a different gearbox altogether..

44mph. Still waiting for new 3s battery, but here's a 44mph run without flipping over.

• Like 1