wolfdogstinkus

Brushless quick drive Thunder Dragon

18 hours ago, wolfdogstinkus said:

@Nikko85 it looks like your motor screw maybe rubbing the gears?. I know there isn't much room for screws and I think I used a counter sunk screw on the side where the gear is.

I think you can shim the gear to clear a screw at the expense of losing gear contact.  I just lock it in high to prevent it jumping out into neutral.

Thanks  - at the moment I do have a 1 mm shim in that gearbox, although the gearbox is louder on low gear when the spur gear is pushed to the other side, so I don't think it's that (although I wonder if the shims could be free to rattle when the spur gear is on the other side, but I doubt it). The other gearbox is louder on low too - they are not miles apart, but I just know it's not quite a smooth as it could be - although it may be the pinion is just more worn, but messing up the holes and removing the end of the pinion probably didn't help! 

When I first drilled I counter sunk the screw under the spur gear and there was no rubbing, but as I had to drill out the holes to 3 mm I was worried about there being enough material under the screw and that the screw could pull through, so I added a small washer, meaning the shim was needed.

Really what I should have done is 

• place a small piece of paper over the end of the motor, tracing out the holes for all the screws. 
  • drilled/cut these holes out
  • placed over the nubs
  • used the paper as template for drilling of additional holes

This way could you have the benefit of the original nubs whilst also allowing you do get accurate holes where you could place that wouldn't mess up the spur gear. Or you could use 2.5 mm grub screws in the four other holes, push the motor into the nubs hard and then use the indentations as a place to drill. The problem with both these methods is that you have to drill the motor mount on the less accessible side where it's hard to see, so probably just removing nubs and drilling two accurate measured holes makes sense. 

• Like 1

That sounds like a plan,

keep the plastic locating pins and drill the motor mounting holes on a different position so you have 4 anchorage points instead of 2 and a more accurate pinion mesh as well.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, wolfdogstinkus said:

That sounds like a plan,

keep the plastic locating pins and drill the motor mounting holes on a different position so you have 4 anchorage points instead of 2 and a more accurate pinion mesh as well.

Too late for me as I cut off the locating pins (much better word than nubs!) already, but next time that's what I'll do.

Thankfully if you are not fused about the radio gear or it working these come up pretty regularly and for not much, so for the price of a decent servo or couple of pints in my local I can have another go.

With a proper servo and ESC these things are great. I had a brushed 370 motor in one as well with a 2s Li-ion- not as fast but still punchy enough.

3 hours ago, Nikko85 said:

Too late for me as I cut off the locating pins (much better word than nubs!) already, but next time that's what I'll do.

Thankfully if you are not fused about the radio gear or it working these come up pretty regularly and for not much, so for the price of a decent servo or couple of pints in my local I can have another go.

With a proper servo and ESC these things are great. I had a brushed 370 motor in one as well with a 2s Li-ion- not as fast but still punchy enough.

The prices were creeping up for a while but they seemed to have come down again.

Just don't tell anyone else. Lol.