Sign in to follow this  
Saito2

Egress, what breaks?

I am going to try to work up the drive to run my Egress re-release this spring. Which parts a prone to failure? Fortunately there is a limited amount of unreinforced plastics in the car but certain things like the front gearbox worry me. I hate the fact a lower front arm pivot is molded into the gearcase side (a typical Tamiya shortcoming). I also see snapped front towers and tower mounting ears on here from time to time. Anything else? My Vanquish actually proved fairly reliable back in the day. Thanks.

I ran my re re alot over the summer didnt break anything thankfully. I always thought the rear trailing arms were cheap plastic. I did lose one kingpin screw on my rear hub. I do have the yeah racing aluminum ones on. It was still lost even with a little of threadlock. I also noticed the screw and nut on the steering by the ball bearings come loose after driving sometimes and also lost that too. So after every run i check all my screws now. 

As you said i do see front towers broke and there is an aluminum upgrade for connecting the front gearbox. Problem is i saw someone on facebook say theirs didnt fit probably. 

• Like 1

In almost a year of running me 2013 Egress I've gone through maybe 4 front shock towers and 2 from gearboxes.

Not too bad, but parts (gearbox especially) can be tricky to get hold of.

ATM rerelease spare parts seem to be rare to not available in stock.

On my re-release the centre drive shaft kept on coming off at the rear gearbox the o ring kept on snapping? I haven't used it since I've put a stronger o ring on it(I don't do winter) so I don't know if it's done the trick?

2 hours ago, Rb4276 said:

I ran my re re alot over the summer didnt break anything thankfully. I always thought the rear trailing arms were cheap plastic. I did lose one kingpin screw on my rear hub. I do have the yeah racing aluminum ones on. It was still lost even with a little of threadlock. I also noticed the screw and nut on the steering by the ball bearings come loose after driving sometimes and also lost that too. So after every run i check all my screws now. 

The trailing arms are unreinforced plastic but IIRC, they're PA plastic which makes them more flexible and less prone to shattering. It sticks in my mind the rear shock tower mount is hard PC plastic though. Funny enough, loose screws plagued my Vanquish back in the day too. I did buy the Yeah Racing aluminum hubs as well.