GTodd

Essential Upgrade for a Vintage Runner database.

My vision is that this thread will be a one stop "shop" to find what Upgrades/Spares you need on hand for vintage models in order to run them with out worry.  So list away and lets help each other  out.  

Astute/Super Astute -C Parts hard to find and break easily, Jazrider makes a really nice aluminum replacement set, A1 metal bracket from srotmer racing or full option makes the trans brushless/modified proof.  D1 suspension brackets from madcap/blitzer range are screw in afair and dont require the press nuts that crush the plastic.  D5 - Aloy version from Pargustore makes the chassis bulletproof. (for a vintage Astute recomend installing rere super astute gearbox, alows use of modern motors, combine with differential putty for a modern acting gearbox). 

Egress/Avante - Front gear box halves are known wea points, although I havent broken any of mine over the years.  Get them while you can, a few in the tool box will keep you runing for a long time, yeah racing front and rear suspension knuckles eliminate a factory weak point in the design.  

Thundershot Family A5 - Replace with 3d printed part, aloy verison, or plenty of spare from forthcoming Terra Scorcher Rere.  Front bumper, purchase a few spares before they get hard to get again once the rere is out, 3d option looks a little rough.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, GTodd said:

Egress/Avante - Front gear box halves are known wea points, although I havent broken any of mine over the years.  Get them while you can, a few in the tool box will keep you runing for a long time, yeah racing front and rear suspension knuckles eliminate a factory weak point in the design.  

Hi, just a query, what are the weak points with the front gearbox halves you mention? Have an egress bitsa project on the go and wondering what I should look out for.

Thanks 

57 minutes ago, DGunn1 said:

Hi, just a query, what are the weak points with the front gearbox halves you mention? Have an egress bitsa project on the go and wondering what I should look out for.

Thanks 

Apparently nthe mounting ears for the suspensions and/or shock tower snaps on impact. I haven't experienced that.

For astute (less so but still not ideal for super astute) the diff is a clear weak point. Solved partially with rere gearbox, fully by my 3d printed part on shape ways. 

For Df01 rear gearbox top is weak point. Solved by brace mod to the top. Also lack of slipper clutch is an issue, solved by using a slipper pinion (carisma make one). 

On 2/3/2020 at 12:53 AM, GTodd said:

Apparently nthe mounting ears for the suspensions and/or shock tower snaps on impact. I haven't experienced that.

Yup, snapped my front shock tower when it rolled on tarmac.

On 2/3/2020 at 12:53 AM, GTodd said:

11 hours ago, FoxShot said:

Yup, snapped my front shock tower when it rolled on tarmac.

Thanks for the info, have ordered a few A parts for the spares box.

Anyone come up with some ingenious bracing to prevent it?

3 hours ago, DGunn1 said:

Thanks for the info, have ordered a few A parts for the spares box.

Anyone come up with some ingenious bracing to prevent it?

I'm not sure bracing is possible. I just want to highlight in been driving this family of cars, and hard since the Rere came out. I haven't broken anything but one hub. However it is a known weak point and prior to 2012 a high price spare part.

8 hours ago, GTodd said:

I'm not sure bracing is possible. I just want to highlight in been driving this family of cars, and hard since the Rere came out. I haven't broken anything but one hub. However it is a known weak point and prior to 2012 a high price spare part.

I’ve broken one of the ears on my egress. I’ve come up with a shock mount that attaches to 4 points like the 2001, but I fear it’ll just transfer the force lower down the gearbox. I think the best/strongest solution would be a mount which attaches behind the ears  and then bends 45 degrees to mount on the gearbox itself. I suspect it’d have to be alloy though...

• Like 1

This thread got me thinking about the Egress front tower. I briefly considered lowering the front mount, bringing the shocks down to a more Vanquish level to make it less vulnerable. I'm doubting the possibility of this as even bitd, the Vanquish needed an "add-on" tower to fit Hicaps. It would also destroy the "look" more so than even Tamiya's alterations to the re-re did. Perhaps a less rigid tower would help. With that stiff graphite tower and all the leverage its extra length gives, its a crapshoot whether the tower will snap (they have) or the mounts on the gearbox will (they have as well). A more flexible front tower will blunt handling but may save parts. Just a guess and totally shooting from the hip on this one.

This is a great idea for a thread if we can manage to organize it.

On 2/2/2020 at 2:05 PM, GTodd said:

Thundershot Family A5 - Replace with 3d printed part, aloy verison, or plenty of spare from forthcoming Terra Scorcher Rere. 

Just a heads up, I bought the alloy 3D printed version from Shapeways - it is not the correct dimensions. The center-to-center is 2mm off, causing the pins to sit at an angle and stressing the plastic joint in the rear. The seller has recently updated the plastic version, but from the notes I can't tell if those updates have been applied to the alloy version yet.

22 minutes ago, isomer1 said:

Just a heads up, I bought the alloy 3D printed version from Shapeways - it is not the correct dimensions. The center-to-center is 2mm off, causing the pins to sit at an angle and stressing the plastic joint in the rear. The seller has recently updated the plastic version, but from the notes I can't tell if those updates have been applied to the alloy version yet.

Interesting. I just ordered the plastic version which should arrive next week. I was thinking about ordering the alloy version but decided on the plastic.

Striker/Sonic Fighter chassis (at the front where the front suspension arms are mounted) would be one notorious weak spot, there is just not enough material there. Without jumping it will prob hold up fine but most used ones come with this section pre-cracked.

Not so much something you can prepare with spares though. There are some aftermarket braces to enforce the front section.

One general upgrade would be to do something about hinge pins that screw into hard plastic causing parts to crack. Those could be substituted with shafts and clips or if you heat up the screw prior screwing it might help as well.

20 hours ago, H22A4 said:

Interesting. I just ordered the plastic version which should arrive next week. I was thinking about ordering the alloy version but decided on the plastic.

I know you need the 58.5mm suspension shafts for my Super A5, but it really is solid and fit is perfect. Been running mine for over a year including track work. 

https://www.shapeways.com/product/P83N8YZSM/reinforced-a5-tamiya-terra-scorcher-thundershot?optionId=64599056&li=shops

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ThunderDragonCy said:

I know you need the 58.5mm suspension shafts for my Super A5, but it really is solid and fit is perfect. Been running mine for over a year including track work. 

https://www.shapeways.com/product/P83N8YZSM/reinforced-a5-tamiya-terra-scorcher-thundershot?optionId=64599056&li=shops

Those 58.5mm shafts are longer than what comes in the 53301 Pack?  I’ve got that pack arriving next week and will use that (instead of the stock screws). I got the regular nylon A5 part coming too but if that nylon A5 breaks I’ll spring for the alloy A5 part and reuse the 53301 shafts.

1 hour ago, H22A4 said:

Those 58.5mm shafts are longer than what comes in the 53301 Pack?  I’ve got that pack arriving next week and will use that (instead of the stock screws). I got the regular nylon A5 part coming too but if that nylon A5 breaks I’ll spring for the alloy A5 part and reuse the 53301 shafts.

Yes, they are. That TL01 pack has 48.5 shafts which will work in regular A5 and also the rear arms with a bit of modifications to the inboard tab on the non-motor side. If you look at my shapeways listing the parts are shown. You either 54613 which is the full set which is basically the same as the TL01 set but with one pair of 48.5 shafts replaced by 58.5, or yoy can buy ti nitride 58.5 shafts on their own, 54615.

Lunch Box/Midnight Pumpkin- These two are pretty trouble-free out of the box. Aside from the usual ball bearings upgrade, the duo only have two weak spots during normal, reasonable running. The body mounts are prone to failure on rollover. Stronger alloy versions can usually be found on Ebay. The axle springs (which don't really function all that well to begin with) often break. Many fixes have been used over the years from the third shock mod, Ampro brace and even one fix involving fishing line.