rwordenjr

DT03 motor suggestions

21 hours ago, ThunderDragonCy said:

Sand Vipers and Desert Gators are such nice bodies. I know its a function of the new chassis on the DT03 but the 03 bodies are so rubbish. That's why I did these two for mine

20180322_133648 20180420_164448 Proline 2017 Ford F150 Raptor body for Pro MT, fitted to a Tamiya DT03 Chassis by CTE RC

A word on motors. I slightly disagree with @Juls1 on motor power. I run a 3450kv blue bottle 10.5 in this with a hobbywing 10bl120 and even in a big space like a playing field for me it is bordering on too fast. It's very quick. I can understand why Juls would want a lot of power for beach runners with lots of space and wheelspin though.

I would agree with @Biz73.@Biz73. I have one of tjose Rocket V3 in my touring race car and i wouldn't want to use it in a buggy. Brilliant for on road, but so full on cooling holes i wouldn't want to get it near dirt and debris. Those blue bottle motors are as set and forget as i have found for sensored brushless. 

The raptor truck is so cool! great job! and what kind of receiver you running with the long antennas?

1 hour ago, rwordenjr said:

The raptor truck is so cool! great job! and what kind of receiver you running with the long antennas?

Thanks. That's my current body. It's a Proline F150 2017 Raptor dual cab. The long antenna was from over a year ago when i was still using 27MHz ACOMS and 40MHz Futaba radios. I am a late convert to 2.4GHz modern radio gear but i wouldn't go back. The ability to tune the response on the handset is extremely valuable 

7 minutes ago, ThunderDragonCy said:

Thanks. That's my current body. It's a Proline F150 2017 Raptor dual cab. The long antenna was from over a year ago when i was still using 27MHz ACOMS and 40MHz Futaba radios. I am a late convert to 2.4GHz modern radio gear but i wouldn't go back. The ability to tune the response on the handset is extremely valuable 

Oh okay cool. I'm in the market for new radio/receiver. I currently have the flysky gt3c but looking for something a bit higher quality. I don't need it but got the itch to get something a bit better. 

Just now, rwordenjr said:

Oh okay cool. I'm in the market for new radio/receiver. I currently have the flysky gt3c but looking for something a bit higher quality. I don't need it but got the itch to get something a bit better. 

I got a Flysky GT5 which is nice and has some good features, but i suspect it's still not as good as something you spend £150 on from a name brand

10 hours ago, ThunderDragonCy said:

I got a Flysky GT5 which is nice and has some good features, but i suspect it's still not as good as something you spend £150 on from a name brand

Been looking at the Futaba 3PV. Receivers are crazy expensive though compared to the Flysky receivers 

Been looking at the Futaba 3PV. Receivers are crazy expensive though compared to the Flysky receivers 

Can't help with advice here. I have never used posher radios. 

Its a good radio, quite small though. You will have this for a long time so itscworth looking at the 4PM or 4PV as well to see what you like, costs more but that will be forgotten in 5 or 10 years

Join the local RC Facebook Marketplace groups, rx always come up on there and about half price generally.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Jonathon Gillham said:

Its a good radio, quite small though. You will have this for a long time so itscworth looking at the 4PM or 4PV as well to see what you like, costs more but that will be forgotten in 5 or 10 years

Join the local RC Facebook Marketplace groups, rx always come up on there and about half price generally.

I actually kind of like small radios. Not a fan of the big ones. What about Spektrum? have you heard anything about those?

4 minutes ago, rwordenjr said:

I actually kind of like small radios. Not a fan of the big ones. What about Spektrum? have you heard anything about those?

In that case the 3PV would be great.

I don't know much about Spektrum but know a lot of people who use them. At the clubs I go to Sanwa are the most popular, followed by Futaba then Spektrum. What put me off Spektrum is their older radios used to have problems with glitching but that is fixed now I think. Also I used Futaba and Sanwa BITD

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jonathon Gillham said:

In that case the 3PV would be great.

I don't know much about Spektrum but know a lot of people who use them. At the clubs I go to Sanwa are the most popular, followed by Futaba then Spektrum. What put me off Spektrum is their older radios used to have problems with glitching but that is fixed now I think. Also I used Futaba and Sanwa BITD

Yes the savox servo I got came with a glitch buster for free just in case. In savox website, it says "older" spektrum raidios had glitching problems so hopefully not anymore. My price range is $150 USD or less. Small to medium size radio

3 hours ago, rwordenjr said:

I started with Spektrum radios a few years ago, well after the glitchy period was over, with a DX3C. It performs well to this day, and has been joined by a DX4S which is even nicer. Both feel well-made, perhaps not as good as a high end Sanwa, but a lot better than the GT3C that my wife uses. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, rwordenjr said:

Yes the savox servo I got came with a glitch buster for free just in case. In savox website, it says "older" spektrum raidios had glitching problems so hopefully not anymore. My price range is $150 USD or less. Small to medium size radio

I’ve been using spectrum radios since they first arrived as JR Propo radios with the guts swapped. Generally they have been fairly good to me, I’ve had a original DX3, then a DX3R, sadly that got wet and it quit, I replaced it with a dx5r. I’ve also got a dx4c which is great, but I think right now the DX5C or DX5 rugged are fantastic options. 

Of course over the years I’ve collected a bundle of cheaper 2ch spectrum radios which I put in my “community chassis’s” which friends and family use at various family get together’s throughout the year. I think I have about 6-7 of those. Most seem to work just fine although I’m rarely using them. 

I use my dx4c for cars I want to use, but others can drive. My DX5R goes onto cars “no one else can drive”. 

when deciding on what brand radio to get, firstly check what is available locally. Is the local importer in your country a good wholesale company?, will they support you? Are they supplying your local hobby store prices that are reasonably competitive worldwide? 

The most vitally important thing is what receivers is the radio going to be compatible with? Do they offer a cheapies 2ch, smallish receiver? What’s is going to cost to deck out your 25 running chassis’s? 

For me, right now I’m using spectrum SR210 and SR215 which are setting me back $50 AUD each (generally about $30 usd if imported). When I’m asked by friends and family what I want for Xmas.. SR215’s please!! That’s the most economic way to get enough receivers over time to keep all those new models running!!

• Thanks 1

Looks great with the yellow CVAs. To this day one of my favorite cars. It is my idealization of an RC buggy.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Otis311 said:

Looks great with the yellow CVAs. To this day one of my favorite cars. It is my idealization of an RC buggy.

Thanks a lot! I've got a DT03 coming today as well that I can't wait to build.

DT03 almost done! Got to get a servo extender because the Savox 1251 black edition cord is even shorter than I thought. It can't even reach to the battery bar as you all can see. I would of been better off going with the regular 1251 but didn't realize how short it was. 

IMG_0481.jpg

38 minutes ago, rwordenjr said:

DT03 almost done! Got to get a servo extender because the Savox 1251 black edition cord is even shorter than I thought. It can't even reach to the battery bar as you all can see. I would of been better off going with the regular 1251 but didn't realize how short it was. 

Yeah savox servos are a pain like that, I know sometimes the short servo cord is nice, but too short is often just annoying. 

I've got a black edition DT03 sitting here as well to build up into a basher.. just gotta get around to it.

My Original DT03 has become perma beach rig with paddles, plastic everywhere possible, including dogbones etc. It's huge fun on 4000kv sensorless.

Juls

2 minutes ago, Juls1 said:

Yeah savox servos are a pain like that, I know sometimes the short servo cord is nice, but too short is often just annoying. 

I've got a black edition DT03 sitting here as well to build up into a basher.. just gotta get around to it. 

Juls

Awesome! I just built mine today, took me about 4 hours. On the body, does yours have 2 premade holes for the rear mounts? Mine does but there are no extra screws to install the included mounts and the manual doesn't show them ever being installed either 

4 hours ago, rwordenjr said:

Looking to get this as my avatar :P

499EF9EC-CAF9-4480-8690-CAD48596E6FD.jpeg

Check out this thread. It's pinned on thr Tamiyaclub Usage And Rules sub forum 

On 2/19/2020 at 11:34 PM, ThunderDragonCy said:

Check out this thread. It's pinned on thr Tamiyaclub Usage And Rules sub forum 

What’s the best shock oil for the dt03?