Sign in to follow this  
SuperChamp82

TRF Blue - Spray Paint

Does anyone know of a metallic spray paint that will bond with plastic / metal and look as close as possible to anodised  TRF blue ?

I like my workstation consistent and am toying with painting a pair of Tamiya scissors (and a few other tools) that they don’t do in TRF livery 

Thanks in advance,

SC

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, SuperChamp82 said:

Does anyone know of a metallic spray paint that will bond with plastic / metal and look as close as possible to anodised  TRF blue ?

I like my workstation consistent and am toying with painting a pair of Tamiya scissors (and a few other tools) that they don’t do in TRF livery 

Thanks in advance,

SC

I think Mica blue is quite close, as seen on the super clodbuster

• Like 1

For anodized effect, you will need to paint bright silver first on the part/material then top it with clear blue. Finish it off with clear top coat to protect the paint. I have done this method with some of my turntable projects. Use either acrylic or polyurethane paint. Enamel won't last and will easily fade or scraped off.

Not TRF blue but the shade can be mixed to lighter or darker.

P1120650.thumb.JPG.5be570da2b2200cdbcf591064bb5774e.JPG

P1120652.thumb.JPG.103ea20c7cb1fb8c3750366886e50170.JPG

P1120651.thumb.JPG.625895562fb50a4dd370e54f8148b405.JPG

P1120655.thumb.JPG.802e303ac2f43b0eee2731f3d103eb31.JPG

• Like 6

oooh those are drool worthy 1200s!!!

even before the red & blue colour coding...

• Like 2

If something is made from aluminum, or even just a silver metal, coat it with a nice even layer of turquoise sharpie marker (not Aqua).  This will give you the exact look of TRF blue aluminum parts.  I use this marker to touch up scratches or worn edges and you would never know.  If it's something plastic, experiment with spray painting a raw aluminum color and then coating that with sharpie.

The reason anodized colors look so unique is because they a transparent dye over raw aluminum.  Just like candy paint (tinted clear over metallic base).

If the sharpie is too uneven a look, then try finding a candy turquoise spray paint.  This should work if it's not too green.  Please post your results.

• Like 1

Thanks all -  very helpful

The sharpie pen idea is great but will look uneven over a wider area 

These two spray options seem close - I’m thinking the second is closest ?

6288CD46-FDB5-459E-B825-306C4F2E039E.jpeg

69DE38F5-3932-4AFF-9416-B8BA2FA5A0C8.jpeg

Those cans are still just candies though and need to go over a silver base so if you are airbrushing you could still mix them to match shade. 

• Like 1

Do you think these candies would hold true on prepped stainless steel @graemevw ?

Would make life much easier re the tools + cases I’ll be converting to TRF livery 

Base layering with a lighter aluminium colour is also fine if it will make all the difference - I’m just impatient 😂

43 minutes ago, SuperChamp82 said:

Do you think these candies would hold true on prepped stainless steel @graemevw ?

Would make life much easier re the tools + cases I’ll be converting to TRF livery 

Base layering with a lighter aluminium colour is also fine if it will make all the difference - I’m just impatient 😂

Ive never used them, but id assume you will struggle to get anything to stick to stainless steel without a good etch or epoxy primer first. 

I may need a bit of help here @graemevw

Other views suggested a candy finish sprayed straight onto brushed aluminium would bond, hold true and let dustings build colour density ?

And, if that’s right, Aluminium’s properties and finish aren’t dissimilar from stainless steel so why would the latter need a primer etch ?

13 hours ago, SuperChamp82 said:

I may need a bit of help here @graemevw

Other views suggested a candy finish sprayed straight onto brushed aluminium would bond, hold true and let dustings build colour density ?

And, if that’s right, Aluminium’s properties and finish aren’t dissimilar from stainless steel so why would the latter need a primer etch ?

Just general good practice painting onto metal.

On 2/4/2020 at 11:06 PM, Nicadraus said:

For anodized effect, you will need to paint bright silver first on the part/material then top it with clear blue. Finish it off with clear top coat to protect the paint. I have done this method with some of my turntable projects. Use either acrylic or polyurethane paint. Enamel won't last and will easily fade or scraped off.

Not TRF blue but the shade can be mixed to lighter or darker.

P1120650.thumb.JPG.5be570da2b2200cdbcf591064bb5774e.JPG

P1120652.thumb.JPG.103ea20c7cb1fb8c3750366886e50170.JPG

P1120651.thumb.JPG.625895562fb50a4dd370e54f8148b405.JPG

P1120655.thumb.JPG.802e303ac2f43b0eee2731f3d103eb31.JPG

What is the W12 after the 1200? I have 3 m5gs, is it a mod?

21 hours ago, Rb4276 said:

What is the W12 after the 1200? I have 3 m5gs, is it a mod?

W12 is my code model when I have customized the 1200s. It stands for "Works1200".

You can check out my page in FB, Works1200 (Works Twelvehundred).

• Like 1